MSSpeech-Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows™ Speech Recognition Forums > New Users & General Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unable to Create Macro

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unable to Create Macro
    Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 9:30am
When I attempt to 'build' a macro, I get a message saying: "File not found".  No macro is created.  I've attempted to set Security to low, but can not find the security setting.  Perhaps WSRMacros is not running.  

The instructions for creating macros (in the program Help function and the user manual) appear simple and straightforward.  However, following the instructions, I've yet to create even a basic text macro that works.
mmarkoe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 9:48am
Originally posted by Robb Robb wrote:

When I attempt to 'build' a macro, I get a message saying: "File not found".  No macro is created.  I've attempted to set Security to low, but can not find the security setting.  Perhaps WSRMacros is not running.
If WSRMacros is not installed (it starts automatically when WSRToolkit is started) you cannot create macros. Two ways to tell if WSRMacros is running:
1. There should be a blue oval Icon in lower right Taskbar:
2. Open Task Manager, the Processes Tab and look towards bottom of list for WSRMacros.exe

If it is not installed, check the Readme file in the Help menu. It says:
1. The WINDOWS SPEECH RECOGNITION MACROS ENGINE IS REQUIRED FOR THIS PROGRAM TO FUNCTION.  It can be downloaded from Microsoft at:
IF IT IS NOT INSTALLED, THE WSRToolkit APPLICATION WILL NOT RUN CORRECTLY.

Make sure to close WSR and WSRToolkit before installing. If this does not help, you should download CCleaner (do a Google search) and run the Registry tool and reboot before reinstalling again.

Marty
Marty Markoe, MVP
Microsoft Valued Partner
See us at: http://www.mymsspeech.com
Robb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 11:24am
Thank you very much for replying so quickly. I followed your instructions and WSRMacros is now installed and working.

It seems that the WSRMacros program does not launch with either WSR or WSR Speech Toolkit, but must be launched separately.  Is this the way it is suppose to work?

I have been able to create macros using the WSRMacros program, but when I try to create a macro using WSR Speech Toolkit, I get error messages stating: "File Not Found" and "File Not Saved" after hitting the 'Build' button.  Nevertheless, the macro works despite the error messages.  Does this mean that WSRToolKit is not functioning properly?
mmarkoe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 11:34am

I have been able to create macros using the WSRMacros program, but when I try to create a macro using WSR Speech Toolkit, I get error messages stating: "File Not Found" and "File Not Saved" after hitting the 'Build' button.  Nevertheless, the macro works despite the error messages.  Does this mean that WSRToolKit is not functioning properly?
As mentioned in previous message, WSRMacros should start automatically when starting WSRToolkit. We wanted to create a seamless installation of WSRMacros, WSR Profile Backup and the WSRToolkit. Microsoft advised us we were not allowed to incorporate their software in the installation process.

In a few cases where the installation was not followed exactly, this has been a pain to correct. These are the steps to attempt to correct this:
1. Reboot computer and try again.
2. If 1 does not work, de-install WSRToolkit and WSRMacros (not Profile Manager). Run CCleaner Registry Cleaner, reboot, reinstall WSRToolkit and then WSRMacros.

Marty
Marty Markoe, MVP
Microsoft Valued Partner
Robb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 1:33pm
Dear Marty,

I apologize if this is a duplicate message.  The reply I just sent does not appear to have been posted.

I followed your instructions and re-installed WSRToolKit and WSRMacros.  Opening WSRToolKit still does not launch WSRMacros.  This must be done manually.

I do not appear to have a Profile Manager.  The 'read me' instructions suggest downloading a file from Microsoft and pasting it in the Speech Toolkit directory.  I did this, but it only was a Word file.

Is there supposed to be something like WSRProfiles running in the Task Manager Processes.  Does its absence mean that all the training I've done has not been captured.  If so, I'm not surprised.  There does not appear to have been a noticeable improvement in accuracy and WSR does not seem to recognize words from my dictionary.
mmarkoe_admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 5:14pm

I followed your instructions and re-installed WSRToolKit and WSRMacros.  Opening WSRToolKit still does not launch WSRMacros.  This must be done manually.

I do not appear to have a Profile Manager.  The 'read me' instructions suggest downloading a file from Microsoft and pasting it in the Speech Toolkit directory.  I did this, but it only was a Word file.
It sounds like you downloaded Windows Speech Recognition Profile tool Release Notes.docx not the WSRProfile.exe which is the program.

Quote Is there supposed to be something like WSRProfiles running in the Task Manager Processes.

When you click the Manage Profiles and then Backup button, WSRProfile.exe will be running in Task Manager.

WSRMacros not running, I am frankly not surprised. It sounds like you did not follow the directions when installing WSRToolkit. I did make a suggestion in the previous message to use CCleaner to clean out the registry and then reinstall everything. Did you do this? CCleaner is a free download that I've been using for many years and it works flawlessly. Just make sure to not let it install any extra programs as that is how they make their money.

Quote Does its absence mean that all the training I've done has not been captured.  If so, I'm not surprised.  There does not appear to have been a noticeable improvement in accuracy and WSR does not seem to recognize words from my dictionary.
By not having the WSRProfile.exe installed it means you have not backed up your user profile. However, all the training you have gone and words you have added are still there.

Marty Markoe, eMicrophones, Inc.
See us at: www.emicrophones.com
2010 Microsoft MVP
Robb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 8:47pm
Marty:
It sounds like you did not follow the directions when installing WSRToolkit. I did make a suggestion in the previous message to use CCleaner to clean out the registry and then reinstall everything. Did you do this? 

Robb:
Yes I did run CCleaner as suggested and then reinstall WSRToolKit and WSRMacros.  

As you say, CCleaner is a very useful utility to have and I'm glad that you recommended it.  I followed the rest of your instructions, but opening WSRToolKit does not launch WSRMacros.  This still must be launched separately.  Building a macro in WSRToolKit still results in the error messages: "file not saved" and "file not found".  Although no macro appears to have been created, the macro runs if WSRMacros has been opened.  

This appears to be workable, although it seems that the WSRToolKit program is not functioning as intended.  

Thanks for the tip re: WSRProfile.  I found the .exe file.

mmarkoe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/Jul/2011 at 7:40am
Robb,

The next thing I would do is uninstall WSRToolkit and WSRMacros (no need to do anything with Profile Manager). Do a System Restore to a point before installing WSRToolkit. Reboot.

Install WSRToolkit following instructions in the original download.

Marty
Marty Markoe, MVP
Microsoft Valued Partner
Robb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/Jul/2011 at 8:41am
Dear Marty,

Thank you for your diligence in helping me to resolve this issue.  Your assistance is much appreciated.

I understand the reasons for your suggestion, but I am reluctant to do it for several reasons.  To begin with, I'm not certain that I even have a restore point and wouldn't know how to implement it even if I did.  Another is that even if I could, I purchased WSRToolKit well over a month ago and I'm leery of unintended consequences to my system.  Also, WSRToolKit didn't install properly in the first place so restoring system to the settings at that time may not help. 

I tried reinstalling WSRToolKit and WSRMacros using CCleaner, rebooting, and disabling Norton and my firewall.  The results were the same.  Is it possible that my version of the WSRToolKit is corrupt?
mmarkoe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/Jul/2011 at 1:02pm

I understand the reasons for your suggestion, but I am reluctant to do it for several reasons.  To begin with, I'm not certain that I even have a restore point and wouldn't know how to implement it even if I did.  Another is that even if I could, I purchased WSRToolKit well over a month ago and I'm leery of unintended consequences to my system.  Also, WSRToolKit didn't install properly in the first place so restoring system to the settings at that time may not help. 
We have seen this happen 2x previously when the instructions after installing the WSRToolkit were not followed (installing WSRMacros and then Profile Manager).
Quote I tried reinstalling WSRToolKit and WSRMacros using CCleaner, rebooting, and disabling Norton and my firewall.  The results were the same.  Is it possible that my version of the WSRToolKit is corrupt?
I doubt it, but if you are Robb St---- of Canada, we just E-mailed a zip file with the WSRToolkit V2. I just noticed the E-mail address you used for the original order bounced.

If that does not work, you can order Technical Support from the link. We will call you and have you start a program to let us look at your computer. If we can not fix the problem we will refund your Technical Support fee and if you like void the license for the WSRToolkit.

Marty

Edited by mmarkoe - 19/Jul/2011 at 1:03pm
Marty Markoe, MVP
Microsoft Valued Partner
gemnfert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemnfert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/Jan/2012 at 5:57pm
In between preparation for Christmas and a few other things, I'd put this particular issue in the "too Hard" basket... but I've now tried restoring, using CCleaner, and reinstalling a dozen times, without success. Putting in the license key is getting a tad bothersome ;)

Are there any other suggestions to get rid of the File Not Found problems? I am aware that when I *first* set up the programme, because the links came through as I was installing, I tried opening WSR Toolkit before installing Macros and Profile. I did notice that when I uninstalled, it left the Speech Recognition directory, so I've tried deleting the directory.

I'm running in Administrator mode, but I initially couldn't save the profile into the Speech Recognition directory until I fiddled with the permissions of the directory. I don't know if this will have made a difference or not.

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit on an Asus 121 tablet (currently have a keyboard plugged in, but I'm trying to set up WSR so I don't need the keyboard at all - portability is key!)

I have tried only using CCleaner after restoring and before installing, I have tried using it in between every step. I've tried installing with WSR running in the background, and with it shut down. I'm running out of options to try to get it running :o There probably are things I haven't tried, I just can't think of them!

The one thing I know I haven't done is reinstall Windows from scratch. I'd rather not, mainly because the huge time invested in setting up the current software, AND the tablet didn't come with disks with the original software that came bundled with it. I'm loathe to lose some of that software as it has useful Art software. I really don't like the concept of getting pirated software, especially when I had paid for a perfectly legal version :)

Is there something I'm missing? I've been on OSX for close to a decade, but I was on Windows before then from before Microsoft actually had "windows"... so I shouldn't be TOO rusty!

I'm at wits end here, and because I've been procrastinating for so darned long, I now only have a couple of days to get the whole thing up and running, and the macros all working and tested.

Thanks in advance,

Sam

Edited by gemnfert - 14/Jan/2012 at 5:59pm
gemnfert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemnfert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/Jan/2012 at 6:13pm
Note:

The last two times I tried it, I have had a popup from Windows stating:

"Program Compatibility Assistant

Windows detected that this program did not run correctly

To try and fix the problem, Windows has applied compatibility settings to this program. Windows will use these settings the next time you run the program.

If you notice that this program didn't run correctly, try running the program again.

Program: WSR Toolkit
Publisher: http://www.mymsspeech.com
Location C:\Program Files\Speech Toolkit\WSRToolkit.exe"

When I clicked on "What settings are applied?" I got taken to Windows help "Program Compatibility Assistant: frequently asked questions"

Windows decided to make updates while I was trying to get things up and running, so this may have caused the issue.

Thanks again :)

Edited by gemnfert - 14/Jan/2012 at 6:14pm
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/Jan/2012 at 9:53pm
Sam,

When you ran CCleaner, did you run and clean up the Registry and then reboot?

CCleaner's Internet Cleanup and Registry Cleanup only needs to be run once every week or two on a heavily used computer.

If you run the Registry Cleaner and still experience a problem on re-installation, then you could try using a Restore Point date before the original attempt to install. Find the Restore points by:
1. Open Control Panel
2. Open System
3. On the left side of System click System Protection
4. Click the System Restore button
5. Choose a different restore point

Marty

Marty
gemnfert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemnfert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/Jan/2012 at 1:45am
Thanks Marty.

Alas, because we only just got the machine shortly prior to getting WSR Toolkit, there are no prior restore points. Not that I've found anyway. I'll have another look, just in case I didn't click "Show More" often enough - as I'm good at missing the obvious sometimes!

Yup, I ran CCleaner, cleaned the registry and rebooted. I can do it again, doesn't make a lot of difference right now :D

Any word on the compatibility thing?

ETA:

No prior restore points, unfortunately... and I double checked with the sequence of events by doing it again and ensuring CCleaner was done before rebooting. I've tried both before and after, but as I was saying, it can do no more harm to do it again! Strangely enough, the last time I didn't get the compatibility thing. Still "File Not Found" though... and I have to digitally sign it manually, by right clicking on the Macros icon and going through Security. Even though it says it doesn't make the files, it still makes them, but it's an awkward way of doing things!

I'm in the middle of reading childrens books to the darned thing in an attempt to get it to understand my accent better. It's a long and laborious process. The multiple "improve accuracy" attempts I'd had thus far made some difference, but not enough for the commands I'm trying. Apparently, my "bigger" can mean anything from "beggar" to "began in an" and all sorts of variations, including some that are wildly different!

Edited by gemnfert - 15/Jan/2012 at 2:15am
antihadron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antihadron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/Jan/2012 at 9:59am
That error you are receiving is basically a crash of the program and should not be happening ...

I have some quick questions.

You mentioned that this was a new machine on a Tablet....

1)  Have you used WSR and/or WSRToolkit on this machine before successfully?

2) If this is a new installation of WSRToolkit/WSR  ...
    a) Done any ports of the  speech profiles or programs (from a different machine).  I am not 100% certain but at port of a speech profile from a 32 bit install to a 64 bit profile proably will not work.
    b) Trained the native WSR program - Does it work?
    c) Run MS Update to bring the service pack up to date

3) Are you able to run the WSRMacros program separately?
4) If this is a previously functioning installation....
    a) Can you think of anything new that has been done to the machine (Programs uninstalled, patches applied, programs installed etc...)

Best regards,

Nathaniel
http://www.thevoicesoftware.com

Edited by antihadron - 15/Jan/2012 at 10:01am
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/Jan/2012 at 10:50am
Sam,

> I'm running Windows 7 64 bit on an Asus 121 tablet (currently have a keyboard plugged in,
> but I'm trying to set up WSR so I don't need the keyboard at all - portability is key!)
Thanks to Nathaniel (the WSRToolkit programmer) for catching you are using a Tablet PC with a USB connected Keyboard. My Tablet PC uses the Android OS but there may be similar issues. What I have is when I connect a USB mouse, the mouse works but the virtual keyboard will not. When a USB keyboard is used, the mouse will not work. If this is similar behavior on the Asus, this will be causing the conflict.

Before anything else can be said, please respond to Nathaniel's questions #1-4.

Thank you,
Marty
gemnfert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemnfert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/Jan/2012 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by antihadron antihadron wrote:

That error you are receiving is basically a crash of the program and should not be happening ...

I have some quick questions.

You mentioned that this was a new machine on a Tablet....

1)  Have you used WSR and/or WSRToolkit on this machine before successfully?

2) If this is a new installation of WSRToolkit/WSR  ...
    a) Done any ports of the  speech profiles or programs (from a different machine).  I am not 100% certain but at port of a speech profile from a 32 bit install to a 64 bit profile proably will not work.
    b) Trained the native WSR program - Does it work?
    c) Run MS Update to bring the service pack up to date

3) Are you able to run the WSRMacros program separately?
4) If this is a previously functioning installation....
    a) Can you think of anything new that has been done to the machine (Programs uninstalled, patches applied, programs installed etc...)

Best regards,

Nathaniel
http://www.thevoicesoftware.com

No, it has never run successfully, unfortunately. I've never used any speech programmes before, and honestly, hadn't even tried saving a profile until setting this one up. I've been training the programme. Although it is going slowly, it seems to be mostly working. The words I am most interested in it REALLY has trouble with, but I'm guessing that's because I haven't put those words into context. Because of that, I've grabbed a pile of childrens books to read to it ;) Lots of repetition with short sentences.

I'll double check about the updates for Windows, but I'm pretty sure it is now up to date. With the times I've restored, it is something I need to recheck LOL

I tried running WSR Macros separately. It seems to run okay, although when I tried to make a macro with it late last night, it came up with an error initially. Admittedly though, I realise that error was my own fault. I was changing a macro manually, and it didn't want to digitally sign the revised file when it had a digital signature in there already. I figure if I had removed the digital signature in the file, it probably wouldn't have had an issue. I can probably try again shortly, I was pretty exhausted by that time last night!

Basically, I got overly excited while setting it up. Got the file, and set it up, then saw I had to set up WSR Macros and Profiles.
gemnfert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemnfert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/Jan/2012 at 6:01pm
I've just reopened WSR Macros, and decided to try making a macro from scratch. It all seemed fine until I clicked "Create"

Then it came up with an error:

"Can't sign new Speech Macro
An error was encountered attempting to sign the new Speech Macro. Please check the macro contents and your digital certificates."

Please note: I did have to make a new digital certificate last night in order to sign another macro, and it then signed that macro AFTER making the new certificate. Do I need to make new certificates, or is this another symptom? I'm presuming another symptom of a problem.

I just attempted to create a new certificate, and it was then happy to sign the macro. I then attempted to make another new macro, and it signed without any issues.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/Jan/2012 at 5:55am
> I just attempted to create a new certificate, and it was then happy to sign the macro.
>  I then attempted to make another new macro, and it signed without any issues.

Sounds like you have solved the problem.

Marty
gemnfert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemnfert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/Jan/2012 at 1:25pm
Alas no. It looks as though I need to make a new certificate every day. I don't know if this is normal or not. Also, I still get the "File Not Found" bit while making the macros in WSR Toolkit. So, right now I'm using work arounds by making the macros in WSR Toolkit, putting up with the error messages, right clicking on WSR Macros, creating a new digital certificate, and then adding the new certificate to the new files. It's bulky and annoying, but seems to be getting me somewhere right now.

If I have created a macro with WSR Macros, I have no hitches (as long as I have made a new digital certificate that day), but I don't have the ability to make it application specific without WSR Toolkit.

Mow... if I could only use the same macro/word with different keyboard shortcuts for different applications!
andy t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/Feb/2012 at 2:43am

It seems that the WSRMacros program does not launch with either WSR or WSR Speech Toolkit, but must be launched separately.  Is this the way it is suppose to work?

Robb and Sam,

I had problems at the beginning when speech macros would not start automatically and I had to start them manually.  If you are still having trouble with this scenario,

Try both these methods and see if one works.

Method 1

Right click an icon shortcut of the program you want to start-up automatically.  (In your case is it would be the WSR macros program).  Copy it.

Click Start Menu | All Programs | then right click on Start-Up folder and choose "Open all users" | right click anywhere on the blank (white) screen |Paste |

Method 2

Right click an icon shortcut of the program you want to start-up automatically. (In your case is it would be the WSR macros program).  Copy it.

Click Start Menu |All Programs | right click Start-up |Open | right click anywhere on the blank (white) screen |Paste |

Reboot your computer after trying one or both these methods and see if it works.  WSR macros should then start-up automatically and the little blue Oval icon should then be shown in the bottom right of the taskbar every time you boot.

andy t

Edited by andy t - 06/Feb/2012 at 2:46am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic