MSSpeech-Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows™ Speech Recognition Forums > New Users & General Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Problem with MS Word 2010 & MSR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RalfR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problem with MS Word 2010 & MSR
    Posted: 11/Feb/2011 at 11:42pm
Hi Folks,

I'm new to this forum. I have been using WSR for a few years now, and for me, it works better that DNS8.

My problem is I've bought a new laptop and installed Office 2010. I have been using this office 2010 for some months without problems, however on the new laptop, I have encountered some problems.

1) The cursor is always positioned one space ahead of the last word, so as I dictation, the words appear on the screen with the last word, then a gap of one space, then the cursor. (This didn't happen on old computer)

2) If I pause a for a second or two, the next word I say is usualy capitalised.

3) If I insert a comma (speak a comma), there is a space between the end of the word, and the comma.

I got so frustrated with it that I installed my old version of word 2007, and it works just fine. I tested notepad and workpad, both which behave in the usual manner. The problem is clearly with Word 2010, and no matter what I do I cant' fix it. And ideas folks???

Cheers
mmarkoe_admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/Feb/2011 at 7:22am
Originally posted by RalfR RalfR wrote:

I got so frustrated with it that I installed my old version of word 2007, and it works just fine. I tested notepad and workpad, both which behave in the usual manner. The problem is clearly with Word 2010, and no matter what I do I cant' fix it. And ideas folks???
To quote our former President William Jefferson Clinton, "I feel your pain." I installed Office 2010 on my office workstation and behavior is erratic at best. In Word 2010, it would not dictate directly but brought up the Scratch Pad which is supposed to be for non Select and Say applications. The next time I opened Word 2010 it would not take any dictation. Outlook 2010 also will not allow any dictation from WSR. Until I have time to look into this (leaving for a 2 week vacation) I have been using an, "Open Dictation Box," macro that opens Word Pad and copies and pastes dictation back into Word and Outlook. Code is below.

Marty Markoe, eMicrophones, Inc.

<speechMacros>
<!-- dictation box -->
<command>
<listenFor>open dictation box</listenFor>
<run command="wordpad.exe" params=""/>
</command>

<!-- post dictation -->
<command>
<listenFor>post dictation</listenFor>
<sendKeys>{{CTRL}}a</sendKeys>
<waitFor seconds=".25"/>
<sendKeys>{{CTRL}}c</sendKeys>
<waitFor seconds=".25"/>
<!-- switch to non-SR app -->
<sendKeys>{{ALT}}{TAB}</sendKeys>
<waitFor seconds=".5"/>
<sendKeys>{{CTRL}}v</sendKeys>
<waitFor seconds=".25"/>
<!-- switch back and clear -->
<sendKeys>{{ALT}}{TAB}</sendKeys>
<waitFor seconds=".5"/>
<sendKeys>{{CTRL}}a{250 WAIT}{DELETE}</sendKeys>
<sendKeys>{{ALT}}f</sendKeys>
<sendKeys>x</sendKeys>
<sendKeys>n</sendKeys>
</command>
</speechMacros>
andy t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/Feb/2011 at 1:15pm

Personally, I wouldn't bother changing from Word 2007 to Word 2010. There isn't a great deal of difference between the two programs and if you are having the troubles that you say you have with Word 2010 with not being able to dictate directly into the program, then I would wait until Microsoft sorted out the problem.

I couldn't bear dictating into a scratchpad, Notepad or WordPad first before then transferring it into Microsoft Word. That defeats all the object of using Microsoft Word in the first place especially if you are a professional writer or author.

I must admit, it is the first time I've heard that you cannot dictate direct into Word 2010 with WSR or DNS. Other people I have talked to who use both speech apps do not seem to have this problem.

Cheers

andy t

Edited by andy t - 12/Feb/2011 at 2:46pm
RalfR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RalfR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/Feb/2011 at 4:25pm
To add a little more info.

I had previously been using Office 2010 with MSR without any promlems, it's only since getting the new laptop that the problem started.

I installed office 2007, which works fine for MSR. Then I tried Word 2010 and it worked perfectly!!

So I uninstalled Office 2007, only to find that Office 2010 didn't work again. So there must be a shared resource of some sort that allows Office 2010 to work. I don't really know much about it. So I'm now using Office 2007. I kind of like 2010 better, but that's the way it goes I guess. Cheers
RalfR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RalfR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/Feb/2011 at 4:29pm
Office 2010 DOES allow dictating directly into Word, I've been doing this for the past 6 months or more. Works exactly the same at Word 2007 (well except for the problems I've outlined above). There is a setting that need to be made, and I don't recall if the setting is in WSR or Office. Cheers - hope this helps.
mmarkoe_admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/Feb/2011 at 5:13pm

Office 2010 DOES allow dictating directly into Word, I've been doing this for the past 6 months or more. Works exactly the same at Word 2007 (well except for the problems I've outlined above). There is a setting that need to be made, and I don't recall if the setting is in WSR or Office. Cheers - hope this helps.
I've put in a request with the Microsoft Speech workgroup to see if they know anything about this. I'll post here if I hear anything.

Marty
RalfR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RalfR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/Feb/2011 at 5:29am
To follow up on my previous post, regarding entering text directly into Microsoft Office 2010 word documents. I have just recalled that when WSR is open, if you speak the words "show Speech Options", a dialogue box appears which allows you to enable or disable "dictation scratchpad", under the heading of "options". I hope this helps folks who have been struggling with the option to scratch or not to scratch. Cheers. I can confirm that WSR works fine with word 2010 in this manner.
andy t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/Feb/2011 at 1:54pm

There is a setting that need to be made, and I don't recall if the setting is in WSR or Office.

You can sometimes lose dictation using Dragon NaturallySpeaking within Word 2007. I cannot speak for WSR or word 2010.

If you lose dictation when using Dragon in Word 2007 (I assume this is the same when using Word 2010) then the problem can be solved within Word itself. Basically you have to re-enable that NatSpeak Word Addin.

To do this (this is for Word 2007 because Word 2010 does not incorporate an Office button anymore but the principle is the same I believe to get to the same conclusion) : -

Open Microsoft Word > Office button > Word options > Add-ins and found that the NatSpeaking Word add in was disabled. So I clicked the Manage Com add-ins button at the bottom and just re-enabled it.

With WSR, (and I had Word 2010 on a trial for a little while and I have always used a laptop) I have never found any trouble with dictating into either Word programs. I must point out that then I was using Vista. I cannot speak for Windows 7 which I am using now because all I wanted was Microsoft office 2007 on this Operating System. Perhaps the problem(s) as you say, have arose recently. I can only speak for myself on having no problems with dictating using WSR in either Word programs. It may be different using Windows 7 having said that.

The scratch pad is new in Windows 7 so as you say by disabling this, you may have inadvertently solved the problem of being able to dictate directly into word 2010 using WSR.

Cheers 

andy t

Edited by andy t - 13/Feb/2011 at 2:18pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic