MSSpeech-Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows™ Speech Recognition Forums > New Users & General Questions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Text macro coming up on screen by itself/no speech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Text macro coming up on screen by itself/no speech

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Text macro coming up on screen by itself/no speech
    Posted: 08/Mar/2010 at 2:17pm

Just lately, I have found that some of my text macros are coming up on screen all on their own. For example, I have a text macro that when I say sign off, my name comes up on screen automatically. This has been coming up on screen all on its own without me uttering anything!

It got so bad with this particular text macro (my name) coming on screen, at one point there was virtually a whole paragraph which was full of my name from that macro which came up on screen without me saying anything. In the end, I had to delete the macro because it was so bad.

Now all of a sudden, I have one of my e-mail addresses (text macro) coming up all the time, all on its own without any utterance whatsoever. I have 4 e-mail accounts, all with different addresses of course.  With this text macro, I would say a name and the whole e-mail address would come up on screen, saving me time dictating it separately.

As I say now, one of the addresses is coming up all on its own with not a word being said! I do not really want to delete this text macro because I need it and I'm sure if I get rid of it anyway, one of the other text macros will come up all on its own just as this one did after I got rid of my 'sign off' macro.

Can anybody tell me why this is happening on how I can stop this from happening?

Cheers

andy t

mmarkoe_admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/Mar/2010 at 5:17pm
Andy,

It sounds as if your audio adjustments may have gone out. Check the Volume and SNR in your Registry and reboot to see if they hold and fix the over sensitivity problem.

Marty
andy t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/Mar/2010 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by mmarkoe_admin mmarkoe_admin wrote:

Andy,

It sounds as if your audio adjustments may have gone out. Check the Volume and SNR in your Registry and reboot to see if they hold and fix the over sensitivity problem.

Marty

Can you tell me how to do that with the exact step by step instructions please Marty.  Never done it before.  ;-)

Cheers

andy t

andy t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/Mar/2010 at 2:10pm

Hello Marty,

Any chance of an answer to this please?

Cheers

andy t

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/Mar/2010 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by andy t andy t wrote:

Any chance of an answer to this please?
Read the thread at:
Scroll down to my post 04/Jan/2010 at 8:01pm and then see the posts below that for more help.

Marty

Edited by mmarkoe_admin - 20/Mar/2010 at 11:47pm
andy t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/Mar/2010 at 3:12pm

Marty,

I read through the thread that you directed me to.  I tried several things.  First, I set the SNR @ 28 and the volume at 33 in their default windows just like you mentioned you have yours.

I found that this did not make any difference to the blue sound meter when I spoke.  I then tried lowering each of them, but still this did not make any difference.

I then tried an experiment and put them both with the value '1' in their respective default Windows.  Still less did not make any difference to the sound meter.  Still when I blow into the microphone, it brings up one of my e-mail addresses.  This is even with the SNR and the volume set at '1' in their respective default Windows.  So this is not having an effect.

I have noticed one thing though and I don't know if this will make any difference.  In the Registry editor under 'Files' that is just above the SNR and volume settings, when the 'Files' is highlighted, the very first line indicates that no value has been set.  Does this need to have a value on it as well?

I show below in a screenshot what I am trying to explain and also show in the second screenshot, my '1' value as shown for SNR which I have also set for the volume.

So could you tell me where I'm going wrong here and what I should actually do?

uploads/111/Files.__Value_Not_Set.jpg 

andy t
mmarkoe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/Mar/2010 at 3:17pm

I found that this did not make any difference to the blue sound meter when I spoke.  I then tried lowering each of them, but still this did not make any difference.
Registry changes only take effect after rebooting. Did you reboot?

Marty
Marty Markoe, MVP
Microsoft Valued Partner
See us at: http://www.mymsspeech.com
andy t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/Mar/2010 at 3:34pm
Quote Registry changes only take effect after rebooting. Did you reboot?

Marty

No, that be where I'm going wrong then ;-)

What about in the 'Files' that is just above the SNR and volume settings, when the 'Files' is highlighted, the very first line indicates that no value has been set.  Does this need to have a value on it as well?

Or is it just those two settings you mention?

andy t

Edited by andy t - 23/Mar/2010 at 3:36pm
mmarkoe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/Mar/2010 at 3:37pm

[QUOTE]What about in the 'Files' that is just above the SNR and volume settings, when the 'Files' is highlighted, the very first line indicates that no value has been set.  Does this need to have a value on it as well?
I've never touched Files, only rebooted.

Marty
Marty Markoe, MVP
Microsoft Valued Partner
andy t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/Mar/2010 at 4:05pm

Okay I have just rebooted with the SNR set at 28 and the volume set at 33 in their respective default windows.  I haven't noticed any marked lowering of the volume meter but accuracy seems a little better.

Is it just a case of keep trying it as in trial and error until you get it right?

andy t
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/Mar/2010 at 4:17pm

Okay I have just rebooted with the SNR set at 28 and the volume set at 33 in their respective default windows.  I haven't noticed any marked lowering of the volume meter but accuracy seems a little better. 

Is it just a case of keep trying it as in trial and error until you get it right?

Try volume 25 and SNR 25 next.

Marty
andy t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/Mar/2010 at 4:32pm

I have now put my SNR@20 and my volume @25 and I rebooted.  I cannot see a great deal of change that in the volume meter.  Perhaps I need to set it even lower?

andy t
andy t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/Mar/2010 at 5:10pm

I have now tried this setting. SNR@ 10 and volume @ 10.  After rebooting with this setting, I cannot see any marked difference and still when I breath a little harder than normal, that one e-mail address still keeps coming up on its own.  Even with those two settings set at 10!

This is not working at all.

Have you got any other ideas?

andy t
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/Mar/2010 at 5:28pm

I have now tried this setting. SNR@ 10 and volume @ 10.  After rebooting with this setting, I cannot see any marked difference and still when I breath a little harder than normal, that one e-mail address still keeps coming up on its own.  Even with those two settings set at 10!

This is not working at all.

The Registry hack worked a couple of months ago when an update broke the audio. I suspect a recent update may have fixed the audio issue.

Marty
andy t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/Mar/2010 at 9:02am

So what you are saying in fact is that it may not work doing it this way anymore.

In that case, what else can I do to correct this problem?  Surely there must be a way of correcting it?

andy t

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/Mar/2010 at 9:45am

So what you are saying in fact is that it may not work doing it this way anymore.
We no longer see the poor audio performance on any of our computers (two or three use WSR each day). Have not heard from any customers recently having the problem. Although we've seen no reference to a fix, we suspect it was done.

Quote In that case, what else can I do to correct this problem?  Surely there must be a way of correcting it?
Try running the Set up my microphone to see if that helps. Also, make sure microphone is positioned correctly. Refresh my memory, what microphone are you using?

I'm also suspecting you have a short in your microphone cable. the way to test this is to put the microphone on a table or desk and jiggle the cable in different places to see if words or macros start appearing on screen.

Marty

Edited by mmarkoe - 24/Mar/2010 at 3:50pm
russ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/Mar/2010 at 2:46pm
FYI, on my computer, running the "set up microphone" option moved the recording volume up to 90. (I aborted the process.) I'm using Windows 7 and have all the most important updates installed. I'm using a Sennheiser ME-3 microphone.
-Russ
andy t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/Apr/2010 at 12:37pm

Quote We no longer see the poor audio performance on any of our computers (two or three use WSR each day). Have not heard from any customers recently having the problem. Although we've seen no reference to a fix, we suspect it was done.

I am still getting the same problem.

Quote Try running the Set up my microphone to see if that helps. Also, make sure microphone is positioned correctly. Refresh my memory, what microphone are you using?

I have tried that and I'm still getting the same problem. The microphone I am using at the moment is a Plantronics CS50/60-USB Wireless Headset system. It is virtually brand-new when I got it with Dragon NaturallySpeaking Professional. I have only been using it since November last year so I cannot believe it is anything to do with the microphone.

Quote I'm also suspecting you have a short in your microphone cable. the way to test this is to put the microphone on a table or desk and jiggle the cable in different places to see if words or macros start appearing on screen.

I tried this also and some words did come up but not the dreaded macro that has been coming up on its own that I have been talking about. As I say, it is virtually a brand-new microphone so I cannot believe it has anything to do with this.

Every now and then WSR turns itself off and an error message comes up telling me that there was a problem with speech recognition. I then have to restart WSR from the control panel to start it off again. This never used to happen at all but it is happening quite frequently now. Also when using WSR, it is taking ages for the little circle within the speech meter to stop going round before I can perform the next command.

Any other ideas?

andy t

mmarkoe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/Apr/2010 at 7:34pm
Andy,

Create a Windows Sound Recorder recording of 5 or 6 seconds. Listen to the playback. Is there any obvious electronic noise?

Marty
Marty Markoe, MVP
Microsoft Valued Partner
andy t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/Apr/2010 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by mmarkoe mmarkoe wrote:

Andy,

Create a Windows Sound Recorder recording of 5 or 6 seconds. Listen to the playback. Is there any obvious electronic noise?

Marty

Okay.  Could you give me instructions on how I go about doing that please?

Cheers

andy t
mmarkoe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/Apr/2010 at 6:27pm

Could you give me instructions on how I go about doing that please?
Open Windows Sound Recorder (Start-All Programs- Accessories). Click Start Recording. Speak nice and crisp and clear for a few seconds. Click Stop Recording. Save the file to your Desktop (click the arrow to Browse to Desktop) so you can find it easily. Double click the file to play it back.

Marty
Marty Markoe, MVP
Microsoft Valued Partner
andy t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/Apr/2010 at 7:58am

Okay I did that a couple of times and listened to the recordings.

I did not hear any electronic interference whatsoever in any of the recordings. The only thing I noticed was that the recordings were very low in volume and I noticed when I was recording my voice with the sound recorder, the sound meter bar level did not move very much when I was speaking in a normal voice and therefore my voice did not come out very loud in the recording.

Could this be the problem? How do I make it so that my voice comes out louder using the sound recorder?

andy t

mmarkoe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/Apr/2010 at 8:06am

Could this be the problem? How do I make it so that my voice comes out louder using the sound recorder?
The Windows Sound Recorder recording was just for a test to see if there is any electronic interference. There is no need to adjust the volume for this test.

If you are using a headset microphone, make sure the microphone element is off the corner of your mouth and rerun the Setup my microphone applet.

Marty
Marty Markoe, MVP
Microsoft Valued Partner
andy t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/Apr/2010 at 12:49pm

I have tried that.  I just tried it again (The Peter dictates to his computer scenario) and still when I breathe a little heavy, that same macro e-mail address comes up.

Don't know what else to do???

andy t
mmarkoe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/Apr/2010 at 6:36pm

I have tried that.  I just tried it again (The Peter dictates to his computer scenario) and still when I breathe a little heavy, that same macro e-mail address comes up.

Don't know what else to do???t

I've noticed some jumping cursor activity again. After doing the Setup my microphone, level is set to 100 again. I wonder if a Microsoft update screwed up the audio sensitivity again.

You could go back to making the registry settings. I'm going to try that.

Marty
Marty Markoe, MVP
Microsoft Valued Partner
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic