MSSpeech-Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows™ Speech Recognition Forums > New Users & General Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reading out a paragraph

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reading out a paragraph
    Posted: 18/Nov/2009 at 1:28pm

I have noticed in Dragon Naturally Speaking, if you say the word 'Read Paragraph', then a narrator will read your whole paragraph out for you.

Can this be done with Windows Speech Recognition?  If it can, does anybody know the command for this to work?

andy t
andy t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/Nov/2009 at 12:52pm

No response so I guess the answer is no! lol!

andy t

mmarkoe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/Nov/2009 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by andy t andy t wrote:

No response so I guess the answer is no! lol!
Not so fast partner. Big smile

You need to open and use Narrator. You can have it start automatically and run minimized. Make sure to configure Narrator so it does what you want as it is setup to read Keystrokes as you type if you do not disable this feature and others.

To get to Narrator, click the Start Button, Accessories, Ease of Access and Narrator. Easy to find and get to, isn't it? For reading specific parts of the screen see the keyboard shortcuts below.

Marty

PS. I got all this from the Microsoft Help file for Narrator.
  1. Use the keyboard shortcuts in the following table to specify which text you want Narrator to read.

Use this keyboard shortcut

To do this

CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER

Get information about the current item

CTRL+SHIFT+SPACEBAR

Read the entire selected window

CTRL+ALT+SPACEBAR

Read the selected window layout

ALT+HOME

Get information about the current item

ALT+END

Get a summary of the current item

INSERT+SHIFT+G

Read a description of the dependent elements of the currently selected element

INSERT+CTRL+G

Read a description of the non-dependent elements adjacent to the currently selected element

INSERT+CTRL+HOME

Enter Virtual Menu navigation mode, which allows you to access Narrator commands without switching from the program that you're currently working with

CTRL

Stop Narrator from reading text

INSERT+Q

Move the text selection to the start of the previous text pattern

INSERT+W

Move the text selection to the start of the next text pattern

INSERT+E

Move the text selection to the start of the current text pattern

INSERT+R

Move the text selection to the end of the current text pattern

INSERT+F2

Select all of the text with the current text pattern

INSERT+F3

Read the current character

INSERT+F4

Read the current word

INSERT+F5

Read the current line

INSERT+F6

Read the current paragraph

INSERT+F7

Read the current page

INSERT+F8

Read the current document

See also

Edited by mmarkoe - 20/Nov/2009 at 3:21pm
Marty Markoe, MVP
Microsoft Valued Partner
See us at: http://www.mymsspeech.com
andy t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/Nov/2009 at 4:59pm

Ahh! I had a feeling that it was something to do with the narrator built into WSR. There are a hell of a lot of commands there Marty.

A completely new field to me. Guess I have a bit more to learn. I think it's about time I got to know all the keyboard shortcuts.

Thanks for the information Marty.

andy t
Chucker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/Nov/2009 at 5:30pm

Andy,

The voices for narrator are new in Windows Vista and Windows 7.  However, narrator is not a part of WSR.  Narrator is an accessibility feature that has been available in all versions of Windows.

Chuck Runquist

andy t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/Nov/2009 at 10:47am

Hi Chuck!

Nice to speak to you.

I sent you a private message in the 'KB' forums.  I don't know if you received it.

It seems at the moment, I have a problem posting to the 'KB' forums.  When I tried to send a post to a particular thread and clicked 'Reply to Topic', instead of showing me my new post in the thread, it takes me straight to 'Forum Home' and my post is not posted.

Can you tell me why this is happening and now I can correct this so I can post again?

Could you also let me know if you received the private message?

Thank you

andy t

Edited by andy t - 24/Nov/2009 at 10:54am
andy t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/Nov/2009 at 11:13am

Marty,

I have recently been awarded the funds for Dragon Professional 10.1 which I now have on my machine.  I have tried using both applications as and when I needed each one.  I hope it is okay to mention Dragon in here.

I find it much easier to use WSR for commands and getting around the computer quicker but I have been trying Dragon because it was donated to me so I thought I would give a go.

Do they conflict by any chance?  I have noticed that my computer is slower now and the WSR listening meter takes longer to respond before I can say the next command.

I do not have Dragon coming up automatically anymore, I choose as and when I want to use it but I do have WSR coming up automatically when I boot up the computer but it seems more sluggish than it used to.  Could this be due to the fact that dragon is now on my computer?  If not, why do you think this is happening?

andy t

Edited by andy t - 24/Nov/2009 at 11:17am
mmarkoe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/Nov/2009 at 6:14pm

I have recently been awarded the funds for Dragon Professional 10.1 which I now have on my machine.  I have tried using both applications as and when I needed each one.  I hope it is okay to mention Dragon in here.
Congratulations on getting funded. It is perfectly OK to mention and or compare Dragon NaturallySpeaking to Windows Speech Recognition in this forum. I personally use WSR more than Dragon. However, I think for certain professionals, mostly medical, Dragon is superior. As far as command and control go, WSR is superior in my belief. I guess it simply has to do with the fact that the manufacturer of the operating system is the same as the developer of WSR. Smile

We have never experienced a conflict between WSR and Dragon NaturallySpeaking. As a matter fact, I have the Dragon NaturallySpeaking Dragon Bar and the WSR Speech Bar running simultaneously. I just try to only keep one microphone active at a time otherwise you tend to put down your dictation twice.

If you have a fairly fast computer, I do not see why installing Dragon NaturallySpeaking would have made a difference. Do you have at least a core 2 duo processor and at least 3 GB of ram? Maybe this just time for some basic maintenance like cleaning out files and programs you no longer use. Also check to see that no programs are installed or running that are unnecessary. Do this by going to Task Manager and checking which programs are running in the background under the Processes tab. Finally, if you have not done recently, run a Defrag.

Marty

Marty Markoe, MVP
Microsoft Valued Partner
andy t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/Nov/2009 at 9:57am

Quote Congratulations on getting funded. It is perfectly OK to mention and or compare Dragon NaturallySpeaking to Windows Speech Recognition in this forum. I personally use WSR more than Dragon. However, I think for certain professionals, mostly medical, Dragon is superior. As far as command and control go, WSR is superior in my belief. I guess it simply has to do with the fact that the manufacturer of the operating system is the same as the developer of WSR.

I agree with you, I find WSR so much quicker for me to get around the computer on the command side.  I have WSR come up automatically when I boot up my computer but not Dragon.  If I want Dragon as well, I select it manually.  Is this what you do?  Or do you have them both come up automatically?

Quote We have never experienced a conflict between WSR and Dragon NaturallySpeaking. As a matter fact, I have the Dragon NaturallySpeaking Dragon Bar and the WSR Speech Bar running simultaneously. I just try to only keep one microphone active at a time otherwise you tend to put down your dictation twice.

Do you use one MIC for both apps or do you have one microphone per app?

One annoying thing I have found.  If I have both apps on, if I have WSR in sleeping mode and I am using Dragon for dictation, the WSR listening meter is very sensitive and comes on, on its own while I am dictating with Dragon.  If it is the other way round, and I am using WSR with Dragon in sleep mode, Dragon is not so sensitive and does not come on so easily as WSR does.  Do you also find this?

Before I loaded Dragon on my machine, WSR was very quick and I could say one command after the other and not have to wait.  Now I have noticed that the little circle that goes round and round in the listening meter takes ages to stop before I can say the next command.  I would really like to get it as it was before. 

Quote If you have a fairly fast computer, I do not see why installing Dragon NaturallySpeaking would have made a difference. Do you have at least a core 2 duo processor and at least 3 GB of ram?

Yes, I have a fairly, fast computer with a good processor.  Here are the specs: Dell Studio 1737 Laptop, Intel (R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU  T9400 @ 2.53 GHz  2.53GHz, 4.00 GB RAM.  I have Windows Vista Ultimate now but I have the Windows 7 CD ready to put on.  When I decide to do this, I will probably ask for more help on how to go about putting this on my machine.  I know you already have Win7, so I will probably ask your advice on how to load it safely onto a Vista operating system.

Quote Maybe this just time for some basic maintenance like cleaning out files and programs you no longer use.

Could you be more specific?  How would I go about this and know which files to clean out?

Quote Also check to see that no programs are installed or running that are unnecessary. Do this by going to Task Manager and checking which programs are running in the background under the Processes tab.

Could you tell me how I get the task manager up and how I find which programmes are running and how to stop any unnecessary one's from running in the background?

Quote Finally, if you have not done recently, run a Defrag.

I believe I have my Defrag set on automatically at a certain time, but I could give it a go myself I suppose.

Perhaps you could help me with some answers or anyone else here.

Thanks

andy t

Edited by andy t - 25/Nov/2009 at 10:01am
mmarkoe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/Nov/2009 at 11:08am

I have WSR come up automatically when I boot up my computer but not Dragon.  If I want Dragon as well, I select it manually.  Is this what you do?  Or do you have them both come up automatically?
As I use WSR the majority of the time, I have it open up automatically and only open Dragon when needed.

Quote Do you use one MIC for both apps or do you have one microphone per app?

I use the exact same microphone. Sometimes you need to run the audio setup wizard for one or the other.

Quote One annoying thing I have found.  If I have both apps on, if I have WSR in sleeping mode and I am using Dragon for dictation, the WSR listening meter is very sensitive and comes on, on its own while I am dictating with Dragon.  If it is the other way round, and I am using WSR with Dragon in sleep mode, Dragon is not so sensitive and does not come on so easily as WSR does.  Do you also find this?

Waking from sleep mode (the Start Listening command) in WSR used to be very sensitive. It seems to have been fixed with with the service pack one or service pack two of the Vista operating system.

Quote Before I loaded Dragon on my machine, WSR was very quick and I could say one command after the other and not have to wait.  Now I have noticed that the little circle that goes round and round in the listening meter takes ages to stop before I can say the next command.  I would really like to get it as it was before.

That happens occasionally to me. I do not believe it has anything to do with Dragon. It seems to happen a lot when updates are being automatically downloaded and there is a stress on the System Resources.

Quote Yes, I have a fairly, fast computer with a good processor.  Here are the specs: Dell Studio 1737 Laptop, Intel (R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU  T9400 @ 2.53 GHz  2.53GHz, 4.00 GB RAM.  I have Windows Vista Ultimate now but I have the Windows 7 CD ready to put on.  When I decide to do this, I will probably ask for more help on how to go about putting this on my machine.  I know you already have Win7, so I will probably ask your advice on how to load it safely onto a Vista operating system.
Yes, I agree your system looks more than adequate for almost any task. I'm not the person to ask on how to load onto Vista operating system. We just take a fresh hard drive (they are fairly inexpensive today) and load a new fresh copy of Windows 7 on a new drive. The old Vista drive is made the secondary drive on a desktop computer. We can then pull all of our personal files onto the new computer. In addition, we have a folder called, "Application Programs," on every hard drive. We copy of the installation files of every major program into a separate sub folder of Application Programs. We also include a text file with the serial number or license key information within each folder. Therefore is very easy to install our major programs directly from the hard drive without loading CDs/DVD's.

Quote How would I go about this and know which files to clean out?

I guess after setting up and using PCs for 27 years you get a knack for knowing what is extraneous. If I find a file/program I don't recognize, a quick Google search tells you about it.

Quote  Could you tell me how I get the task manager up and how I find which programmes are running and how to stop any unnecessary one's from running in the background?

Andy, at this point you should be figuring these type things out for yourself if you want quick answers. I just went to the Start Button, Help and Support and typed in Task Manager. It came up with:
"You can also open Task Manager by right-clicking an empty area on the taskbar and then clicking Task Manager, or by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC."

It also explains the purpose of Task Manager. When I see a Process (Processes tab) running in Task Manager and don't recognize what it is or does, Google, Google, Google.

Quote I believe I have my Defrag set on automatically at a certain time, but I could give it a go myself I suppose.

We rarely turn off our computer (only when going on vacation or away for more than a day or two) and have Defrag set to run in the middle of the night once a week.

Marty
Marty Markoe, MVP
Microsoft Valued Partner
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic