MSSpeech-Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows™ Speech Recognition Forums > New Users & General Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Profile Locations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Profile Locations
    Posted: 31/Oct/2009 at 7:24pm
Hello folks just started using WSR and I was hoping someone here could perhaps answer two questions for me.

1) Where exactly are the Voice Profiles Saved \ Located on disk

2) Is there a way to change the default storage location?

I can't seem to find anyway to do this from within the software. As far as the second question goes
I'm searching the registry now to see if I can find it.

The reason I ask is that on all of my Windows computers for as many years as I can remember I have always used a folder called The Zoo

The Zoo is always stored "C:\The Zoo" I setup my system to store every piece of data that I create ends up in The Zoo somewhere. For example Ms Outlook folders are always located in C:\The Zoo\System\Outlook

I do this becuase I have Retrospect that backs The Zoo up twice a day.  I also am never worried about losing data when I upgrade, backup, etc. As long as The Zoo and it's subfolders are backed up then I know I'm okay.

One other example, under the new Windows 7 we have libraries. Windows 7 of course comes with some default libraries setup. Download, Pictures, etc.  These are all immediatly changed to point to preexisting folders under the zoo.

Using this system for almost 20 years and I've never lost a stitch of data. So I would like to continue doing this with WSR. I don't want to have to retrain it all the time.

Thanks very much all,
Rod

mmarkoe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/Nov/2009 at 10:08am
Originally posted by CLINK CLINK wrote:

1) Where exactly are the Voice Profiles Saved \ Located on disk
The files are stored in different locations. This because the Windows Speech Recognition work group at Microsoft had to integrate their software with other accessibility software like handwriting, multiple languages, text to speech, etc.

Quote 2) Is there a way to change the default storage location?
No.

Quote I would like to continue doing this with WSR. I don't want to have to retrain it all the time.
Microsoft released a backup tool which allows you to back up your user profile. CLICK HERE to go to the download page for this tool. Just point the backup location to your preferred folder, ie. C:\The Zoo\WSRUserProfiles.

Marty
Marty Markoe, MVP
Microsoft Valued Partner
See us at: http://www.mymsspeech.com
Clink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/Nov/2009 at 2:58pm

Marty,

Thanks for the info. This is crucially important information. Is this in your FAQ or Microsofts? For a lot of people not knowing about this and having to constantly retrain could make or break their adoption\use of WSR.

At the very least, this utility should (if it isn't already) be compiled to a DLL and should be able to be setup and called from within WSR. I wish MS would learn that these tiny additional steps they could make sometimes make or break people adoption of certain offerings.

For example Microsoft One Note. In  my opinion this is the best, coolest, multi use, software that MS had ever produced.  They make little or no effort to market it, and again it is another product that with a few days of an experienced coder working on it could tie up a few loose ends and make it simply amazing.

Windows 7 Restore Points is another good example. Why in the heck has MS made it difficult now to set a restore point manually. Now you need to use third party scripts to set a restore point easily.

This is coming from a guy who actually really likes MS products ;)

Anyways thanks a bunch for your info. It made me very happy.

mmarkoe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/Nov/2009 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by Clink Clink wrote:

Thanks for the info. This is crucially important information. Is this in your FAQ or Microsofts? For a lot of people not knowing about this and having to constantly retrain could make or break their adoption\use of WSR.
We understand your concern and even agree with you. When we were invited out to Microsoft in Redmond in the summer of 2006, we were told the stated purpose of WSR was twofold. First of all, they were charged with making the computer more accessible for people with disabilities and that the speech recognition dictation should be here to basic correspondence like e-mail and letters.

The speech group has, I suspect on their own time, developed the macro capability, the backup facility, and several other features.

We are intending to include the backup feature among several other things in the next update of the WSRtoolkit.

Marty
Marty Markoe, MVP
Microsoft Valued Partner
See us at: http://www.mymsspeech.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic