MSSpeech-Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows™ Speech Recognition Forums > New Users & General Questions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Transferring files, programs, to another computer
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Transferring files, programs, to another computer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transferring files, programs, to another computer
    Posted: 18/May/2009 at 10:30am

Marty,

This is a question for you or anybody else who can answer this.

I am planning on getting a new laptop computer.  With it, I will be getting an 8 GB USB flash drive memory stick.

What I will be planning to do is put all the information, programmes, files, etc onto the memory stick and then transferring it to the new laptop computer.

Baring in mind that the new laptop computer will come with the “Windows Vista Ultimate Operating System” preinstalled along with the “Windows Vista Speech Recognition Program” on it.

My question is, by transferring all my files etc from my old laptop to my new one, will my speech recognition program work within the new laptop as I will be bringing the exact same information from it regarding speech recognition?  By doing this, will I not need to train it again and it will be just as accurate as it was on my old laptop?  Or will I need to start all over again in the new laptop with its speech recognition program (“Ease of Access Centre”) and train it as from new?

Just how does one go about this?

andy t
mmarkoe_admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/May/2009 at 11:39am
Originally posted by andy t andy t wrote:

My question is, by transferring all my files etc from my old laptop to my new one, will my speech recognition program work within the new laptop as I will be bringing the exact same information from it regarding speech recognition?  By doing this, will I not need to train it again and it will be just as accurate as it was on my old laptop?  Or will I need to start all over again in the new laptop with its speech recognition program (“Ease of Access Centre”) and train it as from new?
One of the updates that we have been eagerly awaiting from Microsoft is the ability to backup and restore one's user profile. Unfortunately, it is now extremely difficult and not practical to do this. As the rest of us have had to do, with each computer, we need to create a new user training profile.

One of the things that makes this less painful for people who regularly use the software is the WSRToolkit with its Add To File, and its Train From Text feature which allows you to add your typical documents and to read some of your typical documents so the system learns your style of speaking as well as your style of writing.

Also, if you have any WSRMacros, you can transfer goes to the new system without rewriting them.

Marty Markoe, eMicrophones, Inc.

PS. It looks like you posted the same message at:
using the name Wendy?????

Edited by mmarkoe_admin - 18/May/2009 at 11:47am
andy t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/May/2009 at 3:30pm

Quote PS. It looks like you posted the same message at:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?query=Speech+recognition&dg=microsoft.public.windows.vista.general&cat=en_us_fdf138d6-427a-48d6-84dc-a91a6c9fbb45&lang=en&cr=us&pt=&catlist=&dglist=&ptlist=&exp=&sloc=en-us&mid=830a852f-2f62-4156-88dc-2ed95aaf9f73

using the name Wendy?????

That is my sister Marty, she also uses speech recognition and she was round my house when she composed that message. She uses DNS.

She sent it to me in an e-mail and I copied it because I thought it might be a useful question to ask you in here which you now have.

She has a new laptop so she posted it in Microsoft Vista General and I am thinking about changing my computer also with some Charity funding hopefully along with some new microphone equipment. Wink

andy t

Edited by mmarkoe_admin - 18/May/2009 at 4:05pm
mmarkoe_admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/May/2009 at 4:04pm
Quote She has a new laptop so she posted it in Microsoft Vista General and I am thinking about changing my computer also with some Charity funding hopefully along with some new microphone equipment.
Good luck. If I were in charge, I'd give you the funding immediately as it is obvious how dedicated you are.

Marty
andy t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/May/2009 at 4:16am

Quote Good luck. If I were in charge, I'd give you the funding immediately as it is obvious how dedicated you are.

Thank you Marty. I suppose I am dedicated in a way but for me it is really a necessity.

If and when I acquire this money, I will probably approach Graham for the “Senneheiser MD431 II” and its accessories over here in the UK even though he will get it through you in the long run. That will be a little way down the road yet.

In the meantime, I should hear this week whether I have got the funding for the “Senneheiser ME3Headset”.

I do appreciate all the help I get from these forums by you and others.  I have tried Dragon and although it is good, I started with the “Windows Speech Recognition” and so I have got used to this application now and all its commands and I would certainly miss the “Show Numbers” command which I have come to depend on in the WSR. That command for me is pure genius who ever thought of it. 

andy t 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic