MSSpeech-Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows™ Speech Recognition Forums > New Users & General Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WSR keeps jumping to text while dictating

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teejah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WSR keeps jumping to text while dictating
    Posted: 08/May/2009 at 9:44am
Hi,

When I answer an e-mail using Windows Speech Recognition, and I dictate a few words which are similar to words already present anywhere in the text, the cursor jumps to those words rather than typing the text. It acts as if i was using the "go to word" command, but I'm not.

How can I prevent WSR from jumping to text? I just want it to type what I say.

Thanks for any help!
mmarkoe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/May/2009 at 10:30am
Originally posted by Teejah Teejah wrote:

When I answer an e-mail using Windows Speech Recognition, and I dictate a few words which are similar to words already present anywhere in the text, the cursor jumps to those words rather than typing the text. It acts as if i was using the "go to word" command, but I'm not.

How can I prevent WSR from jumping to text? I just want it to type what I say.
This may be a sound issue.  Here are the things to try:make
  1. The microphone element of the headset microphone should be the corner of your mouth and not in front of your mouth.  When it is in front of your mouth breath inhales and exhales will be interpreted incorrectly as words or commands.Before
  2. Before starting a dictation session, run the, "Set up my microphone," utility. Right click the microphone on the Speech Bar, Configuration, Set up my microphone.Itit
  3. It always helps to have a good microphone/sound card.  If you do not have a good speech recognition microphone you will not get the best accuracy and probably have poor noise canceling.  In addition, a USB input will assure you the best accuracy.  Some manufacturers do not shield their on board sound chips and these will pick up extraneous electronic noise from within the computer enclosure.

Marty

Marty Markoe, MVP
Microsoft Valued Partner
See us at: http://www.mymsspeech.com
Teejah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teejah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/May/2009 at 4:58am

Hi Marty,

Thank you for your quick reply. As for your suggestions:

1) I think the microphone element is placed correctly. I watched the demonstration in one of your videos. By the way, thanks for those videos. It really helps to find the right product.

2) I ran the utility. It asked me to read a sentence. I noticed I had to read quite loud in order for the utility to hear me. Through the “Speaker Properties”, I’ve found that the microphone level had a default value of 0. I set it at 50, but it does not seem to make any difference.

3) I have a VXI headset with an external soundpod, purchased through your web site. It does not seem to be headset related, as this particular problem occurred when using my previous headset as well (a simple cheap one from Canyon)

One thing is I’m using the new headset only for a couple of days now. The software may have to get used to it. Another thing I just noticed, is that unwanted jumping to text fragments occurs much less frequently in Microsoft Word than in the e-mail program I am using, which is Windows Live Mail. The option “enable dictation everywhere” is disabled, so I figured any Microsoft software supporting dictation should work equally well. But it does not seem to be.

I have one other idea that may solve this: it should be possible to replace the phrase that normally triggers the “go to word” command with another phrase, for example “jump to word”. However, I did not succeed in making a “emulate recognition“ macro because it should include a variable (word).

Thanks again for your help, I hope you let me know if you have any other ideas.

Edited by Teejah - 09/May/2009 at 5:00am
mmarkoe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/May/2009 at 8:39am

I have a VXI headset with an external soundpod, purchased through your web site. It does not seem to be headset related, as this particular problem occurred when using my previous headset as well (a simple cheap one from Canyon)
I agree, if the problem existed with another microphone it is unlikely the microphone.

The only training for a new microphone in WSR should have to be the Set up my microphone wizard. Don't worry about the audio level in the Recording settings as long as it passes the wizard.

We've not seen anything detrimental by having the Enable Dictation Everywhere enabled.

We do not have the jumping cursor in Outlook or Word. We use the Office 2007 versions of both. Are you using an earlier version of Office?

Just thought of this, try dictating in Notepad and see if you have the problem there. If not, you can use the Dictation Box macro to dictate into Notepad and transfer the text into the text field you initiated the macro from. See the thread at:
Read the whole thread as there were some corrections. Also, you can change:
<run command="wordpad.exe" params=""/>
to
<run command="notepad.exe" params=""/>
as you might have the problem in versions of Wordpad prior to 2007.

Marty
Marty Markoe, MVP
Microsoft Valued Partner
Teejah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teejah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/May/2009 at 7:29am
Hi Marty,

I am using Microsoft office 2007. The problem almost never occurs when using notepad or Microsoft Word. It occurs very very frequently in Windows Live Mail. The thread you mentioned was very helpful. I couldn't use the ALT-TAB approach though. A common situation is that I reply to incoming mails and switch to various other applications while writing my answer. So I cannot simply switch back to the previous application. I need to recognize the opened e-mail and paste my text there. The macro below does just that by looking for a window with a title including "Re: ". It works assuming there is only one open email at the time.

Thanks again for your help!

<speechMacros>

<!-- open e-mail dictation box -->
<command>
<listenFor>open email dictation box</listenFor>
<sendKeys>{{CTRL}}a</sendKeys>
<waitFor seconds=".25"/>
<sendKeys>{{CTRL}}x</sendKeys>
<waitFor seconds=".25"/>
<run command="wordpad.exe" params=""/>
<waitFor seconds="1"/>
<sendKeys>{{CTRL}}v</sendKeys>
<waitFor seconds=".25"/>
<sendKeys>{{CTRL}}{Home}</sendKeys>
<waitFor seconds=".25"/>
<sendKeys>{Enter}{Enter}{{CTRL}}{Home}</sendKeys>
<!-- Set the font to regular Verdana 10 pt -->
<sendKeys>{{ALT}}i</sendKeys>
<waitFor seconds=".25"/>
<sendKeys>{Right}f</sendKeys>
<waitFor seconds=".25"/>
<sendKeys>Verdana{TAB}</sendKeys>
<waitFor seconds=".25"/>
<sendKeys>Regular{TAB}</sendKeys>
<waitFor seconds=".25"/>
<sendKeys>10</sendKeys>
<waitFor seconds=".25"/>
<sendKeys>{Enter}</sendKeys>
<waitFor seconds=".25"/>
<!-- maximize the window -->
<sendKeys>{{ALT}} x</sendKeys>
</command>

<!-- post e-mail dictation -->
<command>
<listenFor>post email dictation</listenFor>
<waitFor seconds=".25"/>
<sendKeys>{{CTRL}}c</sendKeys>
<waitFor seconds=".25"/>
<!-- switch to e-mail client -->
<switchToApp windowTitleContains="Re: "/>
<waitFor seconds="1"/>
<sendKeys>{{CTRL}}v</sendKeys>
<waitFor seconds=".25"/>
<!-- Set the font of all text to regular Verdana 10 pt -->
<waitFor seconds=".25"/>
<sendKeys>{{ALT}}i</sendKeys>
<waitFor seconds=".25"/>
<sendKeys>{Right}f</sendKeys>
<waitFor seconds=".25"/>
<sendKeys>Verdana{TAB}</sendKeys>
<waitFor seconds=".25"/>
<sendKeys>Regular{TAB}</sendKeys>
<waitFor seconds=".25"/>
<sendKeys>10</sendKeys>
<waitFor seconds=".25"/>
<sendKeys>{Enter}</sendKeys>
<waitFor seconds=".5"/>
<!-- position the cursor at the top -->
<sendKeys>{{CTRL}}{Home}</sendKeys>
<!-- switch back and clear -->
<sendKeys>{{ALT}}{TAB}</sendKeys>
<waitFor seconds=".5"/>
<sendKeys>{{ALT}}{F4}</sendKeys>
<sendKeys>n</sendKeys>
</command>

</speechMacros>

Edited by Teejah - 10/May/2009 at 7:31am
mmarkoe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/May/2009 at 9:06am

I am using Microsoft office 2007. The problem almost never occurs when using notepad or Microsoft Word. It occurs very very frequently in Windows Live Mail. The thread you mentioned was very helpful. I couldn't use the ALT-TAB approach though. A common situation is that I reply to incoming mails and switch to various other applications while writing my answer. So I cannot simply switch back to the previous application. I need to recognize the opened e-mail and paste my text there. The macro below does just that by looking for a window with a title including "Re: ". It works assuming there is only one open email at the time.

Great adaptation to meet your specific working style. Thank you for posting here and in the WSR Macros section of this forum.

Marty
Marty Markoe, MVP
Microsoft Valued Partner
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic