MSSpeech-Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows™ Speech Recognition Forums > Accessibility for the Disabled
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Preventing Speech Recognition from turning off…
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Preventing Speech Recognition from turning off…

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fern43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Preventing Speech Recognition from turning off…
    Posted: 27/Feb/2009 at 8:08pm

I am a disabled quadriplegic, who is a very satisfied user of Speech Recognition on Windows Vista. However my only concern is whenever my laptop is unplugged from the electrical outlet, Speech Recognition automatically changes from "sleeping" to "off" and there's no way for me to turn it back on physically or by voice. Because of this I always have my laptop plugged in to the electrical outlet whenever I use it. Is there any way to prevent Speech Recognition from turning off when it is not plugged in?

Fernando

mmarkoe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/Feb/2009 at 9:19am
Originally posted by Fernando Fernando wrote:

I am a disabled quadriplegic, who is a very satisfied user of Speech Recognition on Windows Vista. However my only concern is whenever my laptop is unplugged from the electrical outlet, Speech Recognition automatically changes from "sleeping" to "off" and there's no way for me to turn it back on physically or by voice. Because of this I always have my laptop plugged in to the electrical outlet whenever I use it. Is there any way to prevent Speech Recognition from turning off when it is not plugged in?
I had never heard of this or just did not notice it. However, I started up my Toshiba notebook and confirmed that when you say stop listening, with the notebook not charging, it does not go to sleep but goes to the off mode.

I'm going to send this message to someone in the Microsoft speech workgroup to see if they know anything about this.

Marty Markoe, eMicrophones, Inc.

Marty Markoe, MVP
Microsoft Valued Partner
See us at: http://www.mymsspeech.com
Jerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/Mar/2009 at 3:55pm

Welcome Fernando, it is good to hear from you. You are the 1st one to bring this issue to light and as such, a little research is necessary. I have been fighting off a horrible cold over the past few days and my voice dictation system wouldn't recognize my voice. Sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner.

I suspect that the issue that you are having is related to the power saving features of your laptop when you go into battery mode. Are you using a USB microphone? If so, go into advanced settings in power options and make sure that under USB settings settings is set to disabled. On my system, a Dell precision laptop, it works. Unplugging the power does not turn off the voice dictation system. Check it out and let us know the outcome of your experiment.

Take care, Jerry
fern43 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fern43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/Mar/2009 at 2:45am

Thank you both very much. I do use a USB microphone from Plantronics. I did as you told me in power options and unfortunately it did not work. Afterwards I spent all day on the phone with technical support from Microsoft and then HP; they weren't able to solve the problem. The HP technical support agent is going to call me back tomorrow because he wants to try a complete system restore to see if that works. Prior to that he wants me to back up all my files on my computer so I don't lose anything. Something tells me that's not going to work but I am willing to try anything now. I'm starting to believe this is only a problem on HP notebooks.

Fernando

mmarkoe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/Mar/2009 at 6:49am
Fernando,

I mentioned I had the problem on my Toshiba notebook. Also, the microphone is not USB. I think restoring the system to its original state is not going to help.

Marty
Marty Markoe, MVP
Microsoft Valued Partner
fern43 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fern43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/Mar/2009 at 11:00am

Hello Marty,

That's right you did mention that. I agree, that restoring it to its original condition is not going to work, but the HP technician wants to try. When he calls me today, I will just tell him no. Hopefully you guys can come up with an answer, I'll be here waiting. Thank you so much.

Fernando

Jerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/Mar/2009 at 2:16pm

Hello Fernando and Marty,

Sorry that the idea did not work. It would seem that both of you have a problem related to Toshiba notebooks which might suggest that there is something unique in the way that Toshiba handles its power management while on battery power. It would be good to hear from others what their experience is with this problem especially if they are not using a Toshiba notebook. As I mentioned before, mine is a Dell and it does not have the problem. So, let's hope that others join into our discussion and can share their experience. Out of curiosity, are you both using the same model of notebook?

Take care, Jerry
fern43 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fern43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/Mar/2009 at 2:48pm

Hello Jerry,

The notebook computer I have is, HP Pavilion dv6433cl.

GG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/Mar/2009 at 3:18am
Hi
You did not mention which version of Windows you are using.  I was reading both of the responses and I know for my laptop Dell XPS 1530, you can go into the Control Panel, Mobile PC, Change battery settings, Power Saver, In the Battery column, select put computer to sleep, scroll down to the bottom of the list and select Never. See if this helps you.
mmarkoe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/Mar/2009 at 8:38am
Originally posted by GG GG wrote:

You did not mention which version of Windows you are using.  I was reading both of the responses and I know for my laptop Dell XPS 1530, you can go into the Control Panel, Mobile PC, Change battery settings, Power Saver, In the Battery column, select put computer to sleep, scroll down to the bottom of the list and select Never. See if this helps you.
I agree turning off sleep mode is a good idea because some programs do not respond properly when you wake up the computer. Fernando stated his problem occured when the battery charger was disconnected. The microphone went into Off mode which meant because of his disability he could not turn the microphone back on as it requires a mouse or key click.

I beleive your suggestion is worth trying. Perhaps the HP computer Fernando is using automatically puts the computer in Sleep mode when battery charging is disconnected.

Thanks,
Marty

Edited by mmarkoe - 05/Mar/2009 at 8:50am
Marty Markoe, MVP
Microsoft Valued Partner
fern43 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fern43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/Mar/2009 at 12:26am

Hi,

The Windows version I use is Vista Home Premium. I followed your instructions and changed the battery settings to POWER SAVER and selected computer to sleep NEVER; however this did not correct the problem. I still thank you for your suggestions and welcome any more.

Fernando

GG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/Mar/2009 at 9:33am
I am really sorry to hear that my suggestion did not work. Those are the steps that I took to keep my speech recognition and other devices that  I use turned on. Have you contacted the manufacturer of you computer and discussed your concerns? Perhaps they can provide a solution for you.  I wonder if maybe your battery may need to be replaced because I do know that some laptops will hibernate if the battery is low. If your battery is not holding a charge this could cause the program in question to stop working because there is not enough power to support it and the other processes that are running on your computer.  I too am using Vista Home Premium on my laptop as well. Are there other devices that you have connected to your laptop that are experiencing problems as well?
SamTheMan199338 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamTheMan199338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/Jul/2009 at 7:19pm

Hi all,

Two days ago a got a brand new Acer laptop, I get on very well with the speech recognition apart from the fact that when running it on batteries if I tell it to stop listening, instead of it sleeping and allowing me to wake it up, instead it just turns off. My laptop is brand new so the batteries are fine, it is Acer running windows Vista Home Premium. I have tried all the battery plan idea but none of them worked, just thought I would let you all know and any help would be greatly appreciated.

O and the microphone I am useing is built into the laptop.

Edited by SamTheMan199338 - 19/Jul/2009 at 7:21pm
Jerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/Jul/2009 at 8:54pm

Hello Sam,

Welcome to the forum.  This issue has been reported for a number of laptops previously.  If you have tried all of the options indicated previously on this forum, it remains a problem that has not yet been resolved.  It seems to affect some computer manufacturers and not others.  What intrigues me here is that power management issues tend to be related to operating system power management features.  Yet, exercising choices in those features doesn't always have the same outcome across hardware platforms supporting Windows operating systems.  Quirky...

If anyone has input, please share your experience.

Take care, Jerry
SamTheMan199338 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamTheMan199338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/Jul/2009 at 6:34am
Ok thanks,

Well I will continue to look for answers and if I find any I will let you know.

Edited by SamTheMan199338 - 20/Jul/2009 at 6:36am
Jerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/Jul/2009 at 3:26pm
Sounds good!  Same here.
Take care, Jerry
Msradell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Msradell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/Jan/2010 at 6:52pm

Has anyone found a way to prevent this? It seems to me there must be some kind of registry modification that would prevent it.  It is very frustrating to say the least.

mmarkoe_admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/Jan/2010 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by Msradell Msradell wrote:

Has anyone found a way to prevent this? It seems to me there must be some kind of registry modification that would prevent it.  It is very frustrating to say the least.
I would guess it has something to do with power management. I keep my notebook computers from going to sleep and have them run at full speed.

You can try posting on a Windows News Group.

You may have to register to post.

Marty
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic