MSSpeech-Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows™ Speech Recognition Forums > New Users & General Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dictating to fields on web pages

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ande Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dictating to fields on web pages
    Posted: 19/Jan/2009 at 3:21pm
First, let me say I'm quite pleased with Windows SR. I was looking into buying SR software and was debating cost issue, when I read somewhere that my new laptop with Vista had it already!!

My question is: when I'm entering text into a field/text box on a web page, it doesn't really let me dictate. I say a short sentence, then I get the pop-up box with the options to choose which sentence I want. I need to write a short paragraph of 2 or 3 sentences or one long sentence, enter it, and submit the words on a work related site and the pop-up box doesn't really work well for this.
I've only used this on Firefox, so I'm honestly not sure if IE or even Chrome might make a difference, but I don't think it will.

Is there any way around this? I have Speech Enabled Everywhere already.

Thank you! Smile

edit: hmm, after looking around a little more, I may be able to use the Dictation Box. I'll try that when I get home. If there are any other suggestions, I'm all ears,

Edited by ande - 19/Jan/2009 at 3:35pm
mmarkoe_admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/Jan/2009 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by ande ande wrote:

First, let me say I'm quite pleased with Windows SR. I was looking into buying SR software and was debating cost issue, when I read somewhere that my new laptop with Vista had it already!!
We are pleased to hear you are happy with the Windows Speech Recognition. You may be interested in some of the additional functionality you can get from the WSRToolkit as well as WSRMacros: The User’s Guide

Quote My question is: when I'm entering text into a field/text box on a web page, it doesn't really let me dictate. I say a short sentence, then I get the pop-up box with the options to choose which sentence I want. I need to write a short paragraph of 2 or 3 sentences or one long sentence, enter it, and submit the words on a work related site and the pop-up box doesn't really work well for this.
I do not use Firefox so cannot confirm this. However, I did put out an inquiry with other users to see if they have experienced this.

It is also not clear what you mean when you say, "I get the pop-up box with the options to choose which sentence I want." Do you mean the Alternates Panel box opens? If that is the case, it may be your microphone is picking up breath inhales or exhales as a command. If you are using headset microphone, the microphone element should be kept at the corner of your mouth and not in front of your mouth. A good noise canceling microphone also help if this is the case.

Marty Markoe, eMicrophones, Inc.
ande View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ande Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/Jan/2009 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by mmarkoe_admin mmarkoe_admin wrote:

I do not use Firefox so cannot confirm this. However, I did put out an inquiry with other users to see if they have experienced this.

It is also not clear what you mean when you say, "I get the pop-up box with the options to choose which sentence I want." Do you mean the Alternates Panel box opens? If that is the case, it may be your microphone is picking up breath inhales or exhales as a command. If you are using headset microphone, the microphone element should be kept at the corner of your mouth and not in front of your mouth. A good noise canceling microphone also help if this is the case.

Is the Alternate Panels box the box that has several choices of possible words that you just said? And where you can also choose to Spell It?
If so, then yes it's that box.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/Jan/2009 at 6:22pm
Quote Is the Alternate Panels box the box that has several choices of possible words that you just said? And where you can also choose to Spell It?
If so, then yes it's that box.
Yes, that is the Alternates panel (it says so at top of the dialog box). Therefore, I suspect your problem is with your microphone picking up sounds as commands.

Marty Markoe

Edited by mmarkoe - 22/Jan/2009 at 12:49pm
mmarkoe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/Jan/2009 at 10:16pm

I've only used this on Firefox, so I'm honestly not sure if IE or even Chrome might make a difference, but I don't think it will.
Eric Brown informed me that Firefox is not TSF enabled. TSF is Text Services Frameworks. CLICK HERE to read about Microsoft TSF.

What dictation box were you thinking of using to get around the problem?

Marty Markoe, MVP
Microsoft Valued Partner
See us at: http://www.mymsspeech.com
jp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/Jan/2009 at 11:24am

I think I saved myself a bundle when I discovered this Speech Recognition feature on my new laptop, JUussst before I was going to buy Dragon.

First thing: I know how to "dicatate" start and internet Firefox to commence browsing.  My browser opens to Google's search engine. When I dictate "Search" the cursor blinks within the search area, however when I dictate any search term nothing happens!  How do I enable this to search based on my dictation commands?

Second thing is:, when I "Start" windows mail, I can dictate "Create" "To" and "subject" But then I can't seem to figure out how to actually dictate the beginning of an actual email letter.  Manually I can do it, but I can't seem to get the speech recognition to accept a dictate command.  How do I enable this?

Thanks in advance for you help.  Hopefully soon dicating will be FASTER than typing.
Dictator on the horizon :-)
mmarkoe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/Jan/2009 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by jp jp wrote:

I think I saved myself a bundle when I discovered this Speech Recognition feature on my new laptop, JUussst before I was going to buy Dragon.
For many people doing programming and or basic correspondence, WSR is a windfall of.

Quote First thing: I know how to "dicatate" start and internet Firefox to commence browsing.  My browser opens to Google's search engine. When I dictate "Search" the cursor blinks within the search area, however when I dictate any search term nothing happens!  How do I enable this to search based on my dictation commands?
See two posts above this one which says:
"Eric Brown informed me that Firefox is not TSF enabled. TSF is Text Services Frameworks. CLICK HERE to read about Microsoft TSF."

If you click the link you will see that Firefox is not speech enabled for WSR.

Quote Second thing is:, when I "Start" windows mail, I can dictate "Create" "To" and "subject" But then I can't seem to figure out how to actually dictate the beginning of an actual email letter.  Manually I can do it, but I can't seem to get the speech recognition to accept a dictate command.  How do I enable this?
Although many applications are not WSR enabled because they do not follow the guidelines of Microsoft's TSF, there are some workarounds. Start by seeing Rick Mohr's Vocola 3 (a free download).

If Vocola 3 is not to your liking, let us know? There is way of dictating to a dictation box and transferring text to the text field.

Marty Markoe, MVP
Microsoft Valued Partner
See us at: http://www.mymsspeech.com
jp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/Jan/2009 at 5:48pm
Marty,
So the trade off here is I can't use WSR to dicate web searches with Firefox, understandable considering the I Explorer vs. Firefox chemistry.

Marty, I'm interested in the most efficient and smooth way utilize this technology. In your opinion,  based on what I've just expressed, which will best do the trick. Vocola 3 or the dictation box route.? Gotta go see if Naturally Speaking interfaces with the Firefox TSF, do you have any insight on this?

Thanks

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/Jan/2009 at 6:15pm

So the trade off here is I can't use WSR to dicate web searches with Firefox, understandable considering the I Explorer vs. Firefox chemistry.
That seems correct for now.

Quote I'm interested in the most efficient and smooth way utilize this technology. In your opinion,  based on what I've just expressed, which will best do the trick. Vocola 3 or the dictation box route.?
Try Vocola 3 for short input. For longer dictations the Dictation Window uses Notepad and transfers simply into the non TSF application when finished dictating. In other words you may be able to use both for TSFs.

Quote if Naturally Speaking interfaces with the Firefox TSF, do you have any insight on this?
I don't personally use Firefox, but believe Dragon works in it.

Marty
jp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/Jan/2009 at 7:56pm
Appreciate the help Marty. Thanks.

From your experience Marty what is the best way to build the vocabulary for WSR?

I think I'll scrap the idea of using this for email for starters and focus on using  the system to dictate 300 to 500 page short letters.  I'll get comfortable with the letter dictation capacity and then figure out the other less important things later.

Thanks
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/Jan/2009 at 8:36pm

From your experience Marty what is the best way to build the vocabulary for WSR?
Have you looked at the WSRToolkit? See the features below. #6 Add From File is what I use to feed typical documents for building the speech profile. Most words are already in the lexicon. The add from file feature lets WSR note your style of speaking (the context you use words within) and improves the probability of words being recognized in context. #5 Add to Dictionary allows you to add uncommon words or words the system just doesn't ever seem to get. For example, no matter how many times I say and correct "audio" it would not get it. After using the Add to Dictionary feature it gets it every time. I also use many Text Macros. For example, I say "Sign-off" and it puts, "Marty Markoe, eMicrophones, Inc." on the screen. I use several step by step macros to accomplish tasks in our accounting program. One command macro is, "Order Import." It opens the File menu, selects the Utilities option, selects the Customer file and Invoices file from our order program, and imports the new orders with customer information. About 12 steps are accomplished with the single command, "Order Import."

Here are all the features of the WSRToolkit.

1. Text Macros
  2. Command Macros (step by step)
  3. Macro Editor window for editing or creating script macros
  4. Train From Text allows you to select the text of your choosing and read it to train the 'Acoustic Model' of your speech profile
  5. Add To Dictionary provides an easy way to add words or phrases to your personal speech dictionary
  6. Add From File parses MS-Word and Text documents of your choosing for increased dictation accuracy
  7. Transcription reads your wave (.WAV) file and transcribes it to text. 

ande View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ande Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/Jan/2009 at 11:34am
Originally posted by mmarkoe mmarkoe wrote:

Eric Brown informed me that Firefox is not TSF enabled. TSF is Text Services Frameworks. CLICK HERE to read about Microsoft TSF.

What dictation box were you thinking of using to get around the problem?

Cool, I will try it in IE and/or Chrome to see if that'll work!

I was thinking of using the dictation box macro (I think that's what it's called) as talked about in this thread:
http://www.msspeech-forum.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=37
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/Jan/2009 at 11:47am

Cool, I will try it in IE and/or Chrome to see if that'll work!
You should have no problems using IE.

Quote I was thinking of using the dictation box macro (I think that's what it's called) as talked about in this thread:
http://www.msspeech-forum.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=37
Brad's "Dictation Anywhere" macro is a good way to get around applications that are not TSF compliant. You just say, "Open dictation box" to open Notepad and when finished say, "Post dictation" to transfer what you dictated and corrected tothe application your cursor was in when you started the macro.

Marty Markoe
ande View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ande Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/Jan/2009 at 12:12pm
IE worked like a charm! yay!! thank you :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic