MSSpeech-Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows™ Speech Recognition Forums > New Users & General Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"{u+0020}And" What is this?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dtee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "{u+0020}And" What is this?
    Posted: 14/Nov/2008 at 11:43am

Could the following possibly be a bug in the WSR Toolkit? A random example: I say the single word "plane"; the WSR toolbar window displays: "clonethen" or "cloneAnd", and the text written is{u+0020}then" or "{u+0020}And". There are variations on this theme, but there is always the same bracketed character code (for space, as I recall) followed by some word that was never spoken.

Where is this coming from? I don't have a WSR macro listening for "clone". Has anyone else had this happen?

Thanks for any clues.

Daniel
mmarkoe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/Nov/2008 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by dtee dtee wrote:

Where is this coming from? I don't have a WSR macro listening for "clone". Has anyone else had this happen?
First thing I would do is check my Added Words to see if it accidentally was saved. Right click the microphone on the SpeechBar. Then select Change existing words. Then select edit a word to see if "clonethen" or "cloneAnd" is there?

Marty
Marty Markoe, MVP
Microsoft Valued Partner
See us at: http://www.mymsspeech.com
BradT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BradT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/Nov/2008 at 1:10pm
Daniel,

Do you have the "Format_That.WSRMac"  or "Symbol_That.WSRMac" macros loaded?  If so, that is probably the culprit.

The {u+0020} is unicode representation for the space character, so I suspect it's in one of your macros somewhere...  Have a look in your Speech Macros directory and let us know what you find.

Brad

dtee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dtee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/Nov/2008 at 6:48am
Thanks for the suggestion:

Originally posted by mmarkoe mmarkoe wrote:

[First thing I would do is check my Added Words to see if it accidentally was saved.

The word "clone" is not on the list.

Edited by dtee - 16/Nov/2008 at 7:07am
dtee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dtee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/Nov/2008 at 7:05am
Originally posted by BradT BradT wrote:

Do you have the "Format_That.WSRMac"  or "Symbol_That.WSRMac" macros loaded?  If so, that is probably the culprit.

Spot on, Brad.

I have found "Format_That.WSRMac" to be an extremely useful macro, but it does contain several commands listening for the word "clone". All I have to do is to say it and the following text is inserted: {u+0020}??, the question marks representing a random word.

Now, the question is how to cope with this. For example, one approach is banning this word from being recognized. Then, if I ever needed it in a sentence (I don't anticipate that this would be very often), I could say "Insert clone". I just tested this, and it doesn't work at all.  The word is indeed banned by WSR, but the macro still listens for "clone" and fires faithfully.

Another approach is to begin tampering with the macro, but it is so complex that I hesitate to do so, not being a programmer. Maybe I could comment out all the parts containing the "clone" command?

Do you have any recommendations?

Best regards and thanks,
Daniel

Edited by dtee - 16/Nov/2008 at 7:48am
BradT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BradT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/Nov/2008 at 9:24am
Originally posted by dtee dtee wrote:

Another approach is to begin tampering with the macro, but it is so complex that I hesitate to do so, not being a programmer. Maybe I could comment out all the parts containing the "clone" command?

Do you have any recommendations?

Hi Daniel,

I'm glad to help.  The Format_That macro is indeed very useful.

You can experiment with the macro and yet do no permanent damage if you'll navigate to your Speech Macros directory and copy the Format_That.WSRMac to another name.  I usually use something like Format_That.SAFE.  That way you don't get confused when you're tinkering with multiple macro files.
Next, like you suggested, open the Format_That.WSRMac and search for "clone".  I found this entry and it looks like it may be the offending command.

<command priority="1">
<listenFor>clone [textInDocument]</listenFor>
<insertText>{u+0020}{[textInDocument]}</insertText>
</command>
You can comment it out by adding the comment syntax around the entire command like this:

<!--
<command priority="1">
<listenFor>clone [textInDocument]</listenFor>
<insertText>{u+0020}{[textInDocument]}</insertText>
</command>
-->

Save the file, as Symbol_That.WSRMac and give it a try...

If that doesn't solve your problem, start commenting out each command that uses the <listenFor>clone syntax one-by-one, saving and trying each change.  If your changes were too aggressive and things start acting strange, or you get a macro compiler error message, either undo the single change you just did or restore the Format_That.SAFE to Format_That.WSRMac

This should hopefully get you going...  Let us know how it goes.

Brad
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic