MSSpeech-Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows™ Speech Recognition Forums > New Users & General Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Browsing the web

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goinginsane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Browsing the web
    Posted: 18/Jan/2015 at 12:51pm
Hi, I just joined and I have looked for this question and do not find it so I hope it's not redundant but as the saying goes my kingdom for some help :-)
I am using the Microsoft voice with Windows 7 and have used quite a few different applications for voice dictation. None of them seem very well-suited for web browsers :-) but I think I'm pretty good at working through the limitations and can make good use of it however this one is a cause for my username because I can't get past it. I open up Firefox and I want to go to one of my most visited sites which is available in the drop-down list from the URL bar. It's part of history in just a repetitive step that I take. In order to get those most visited places to drop down I use the mouse to click on the caret found at the far right of the URL barca it is a downward facing caret and has no name. When I say "show numbers" every clickable link on the browser lights up with a number except for this caret, using firefox so there is no way to press that button using voice. Can anyone please identify this"button" and tell me how to activate it?  With Internet explorer , "show numbers" puts a choice on the same button. Its firefox that is not functional with voice.
using "show numbers" puts a number on the equivalent caret and I can choose it, but its not identified with firefox. Is this the microsoft way of forcing me into IE? :-)  I would really appreciate an assist on this one because I said I can fumble around and deal with voice when surfing the web, but this one really sticks to me now like to win if I could.

Please save bandwidth and don't suggest to me to put my favorite web sites on the favorites toolbar.  I don't like to work that way.  It's been contentious nor obstinate it's just how I work and I like to think that there should be a way to click tha  caret and use my browser the way I've been using it for decades.  Thanks :-)

All may I please add a small question and hope that it doesn't detract from any answers?  Is there any way to control the amount of time that the numbers are displayed?  It's a great feature but the numbers don't stay on the screen long enough for me to ensure that I select the proper one.  FWIW, I'm disabled with a brain injury and things that flash off and on on the screen slightly disorient me, but the numbers to make it easier, yet it causes me problems at times.  I'll have the use of my hands without a lot of pain so I am resorting to the voice to use my computer and these are two functions that I am having trouble if.  I think I can get by for most of the other issues if I can mail these down.
How can there be an active button that doesn't have a name?  :-) LOL thanks very much I appreciate the help

mmarkoe_admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/Jan/2015 at 5:38pm
I do not have a fire fox browser. However, try saying, "address bar." Then try saying, "press down arrow." The bottom line is Internet Explorer is a lot more user friendly to WSR, Windows Speech Recognition.

Sorry, can't help you with the timeout for the show numbers function.

Marty
tier2helpdesk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tier2helpdesk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/Apr/2015 at 5:09am
If you check out AutoHotKey and it's ImageSearch function you can create a simple EXE to select the FireFox DropDown menu for history/address bar.

Or you could use Internet Explorer and navigate using the Document Object Model.

I have used the capabilities provided by AHK to accomplish many such tasks as well as to select a specific screen in a multiple monitor setup allowing the use of mouse grid on any of my screens.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic