MSSpeech-Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows™ Speech Recognition Forums > New Users & General Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need help please with transferring voice files

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help please with transferring voice files
    Posted: 03/Jan/2015 at 8:45am
Someone posed this question and I wondered if anybody out there had an answer to it? This is the question posed:

Need help please with transferring voice recognition files/transferring voice dictionary files between computers.

I have been searching around the net for an answer to my problem without any success.

* My Problem

I have been using the built in Voice recognition software that comes with Windows 7 Ultimate.

I have been creating new words and commands into the speech dictionary for about 2 weeks.

My computer blue screened 3 times this week and I nearly lost everything all my work. So I have a new hard drive to replace.

I have tried to use the transfer wizard and also the specially made Voice profile transfer wizard from the Microsoft site. But, my only problem is' none of these will copy all the sound files I have spoken into the speech dictionary they only copy the reference data not the sound files?

According to guys on the Microsoft forums these are encrypted and in a folder c:\windows\voice . My folder is aprox= 170mb which sounds about right for the amount of voice recordings i have done.

The Voice profile transfer/ backup wizard only saves and transfer a file of eg: 34mb

So what the hell they think they are backing up and transferring I do not know??

When I open the speech dictionary on my back up computer all the new saved words I created and are listed but it seems like they are not connected to any voice pattern recognition file and I have to re record each one.

I have tried to copy the c:\windows\voice   complete directory and put in into the same folder on my laptop but it will not let me.

Please I hope someone has the answer for me as I am working on a very important project

Sorry for the spelling btw spell check does not seem to be working in this text box??
mmarkoe_admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/Jan/2015 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by andy t andy t wrote:

Need help please with transferring voice recognition files/transferring voice dictionary files between computers.

I have tried to use the transfer wizard and also the specially made Voice profile transfer wizard from the Microsoft site. But, my only problem is' none of these will copy all the sound files I have spoken into the speech dictionary they only copy the reference data not the sound files?

According to guys on the Microsoft forums these are encrypted and in a folder c:\windows\voice . My folder is aprox= 170mb which sounds about right for the amount of voice recordings i have done.

The Voice profile transfer/ backup wizard only saves and transfer a file of eg: 34mb

I've never seen a folder c:\windows\voice. What voice recordings are being referred to? Using the Profile tool should transfer all added words and speech associations.
Marty
andy t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/Jan/2015 at 4:55am
That's exactly what I thought.

So I'm right in saying that if you have added words in the speech dictionary, these will also be backed up using the profile tool within the profile itself so it can then be transferred to a new computer or hard drive with all its associations, added words etc. attached to it?

Good to hear from you Marty!

andy t

Edited by andy t - 04/Jan/2015 at 4:56am
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/Jan/2015 at 8:24am

That's exactly what I thought.

So I'm right in saying that if you have added words in the speech dictionary, these will also be backed up using the profile tool within the profile itself so it can then be transferred to a new computer or hard drive with all its associations, added words etc. attached to it?

Good to hear from you Marty!

andy t

Yes, the Profile tool backs up all as far as I know and I've never seen or heard of the \voice folder. Do you have one of these folders? What are the file extensions if you do?

It is good to hear from you as well. I'm enjoying retired life and simply use WSR mostly for email and some command navigation these days. On my Android tablet and Android smartphone, most email are dictated using Google's speech recognition which is as good as WSR.

Marty
andy t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/Jan/2015 at 10:01am
Hi Marty,

I'm glad you are enjoying your retirement. I didn't even know Google had a speech recognition program.

I think we've sorted the problem out now and you were right, there is no such folder as the voice folder. The guy I am trying to help is quite old. He is trying to copy his speech files direct from c:\windows\speech which will not work will it?

Correct me if I am wrong, but even without the WSR toolkit, if you download the Windows Speech Recognition Profile Tool, you can still backup and restore your speech profile? With the Speech Recognition Profile tool, when you backup a speech profile, does it still show on your hard drive as a blank data file? Then you just restore this file to a new speech profile? Is this correct?

Thanks

andy t
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/Jan/2015 at 10:16am

He is trying to copy his speech files direct from c:\windows\speech which will not work will it?

Correct me if I am wrong, but even without the WSR toolkit, if you download the Windows Speech Recognition Profile Tool, you can still backup and restore your speech profile? With the Speech Recognition Profile tool, when you backup a speech profile, does it still show on your hard drive as a blank data file? Then you just restore this file to a new speech profile? Is this correct?

Speech Profile has bits and pieces connected to other Ease of Access applications. Using the Speech Profile is the only way I know of to backup user training.

Yes, they can use the Profile tool independent of WSRToolkit.

Marty
andy t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/Jan/2015 at 10:27am
Thanks Marty. That's what I needed to know. You have a great day!

Thanks

andy t
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic