MSSpeech-Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows™ Speech Recognition Forums > New Users & General Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unexplained CPU usage increase

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sixwheels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unexplained CPU usage increase
    Posted: 21/Jan/2014 at 5:18pm
I was just curious as to whether anyone else has ever encountered this. Sometimes after a few hours of having the computer on, and speech recognition running (not necessarily in use, but listening), I will start to notice a sluggish response to the Start Listening command. When I check task manager, and find speech recognition in the list, sure enough it has increased to 15% usage, and just stays there until I close the program and restart it.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?
mmarkoe_admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/Jan/2014 at 11:21am
Originally posted by Sixwheels Sixwheels wrote:

Sometimes after a few hours of having the computer on, and speech recognition running (not necessarily in use, but listening), I will start to notice a sluggish response to the Start Listening command. When I check task manager, and find speech recognition in the list, sure enough it has increased to 15% usage, and just stays there until I close the program and restart it.

This is an old problem that was much more prevalent in Dragon NaturallySpeaking than in WSR. Simply put, when you put the microphone into Sleeping mode the software grabs a piece of memory, a buffer. While it is listening for the command to Start Listening, it is actually still listening and processing everything you say and depending how much sound it has been processing, the buffer can take a few seconds to clear itself out when it hears the Start Listening command.
Marty
Sixwheels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sixwheels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/Jan/2014 at 11:40am
Thanks for the information, Marty. I suspected that it must be something like that, but for me, the buffer never clears out. The only way I can stop it from lagging is to quit speech recognition and then restart it again. As I'm typing this, it is happening again, so I will wait and see whether the CPU usage goes down by itself.

By the way, would there be any way to change that buffer size?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/Jan/2014 at 12:26pm

By the way, would there be any way to change that buffer size?

As far as I know, the WSR applet sets the buffer size. The buffer size may not be a factor. It may just be how much sound is picked up when the microphone is Sleeping.

Are you at all able to use the keyboard easily enough? If so, the Windows Key + CTRL key act as an On/Off toggle switch.

Marty
Sixwheels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sixwheels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/Jan/2014 at 2:46pm
Unfortunately for me, Marty, my keyboard days are over. I cannot physically use one anymore, which is why I must leave Windows Speech Recognition sleeping during those times that I don't have my hands on my mouse.

It's not really a serious issue, mostly annoying. I was just hoping that there was some easy fix. You know, I keep hearing that Microsoft is going to be updating the speech recognition interface, but it never seems to happen. :-(
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/Jan/2014 at 3:04pm

Unfortunately for me, Marty, my keyboard days are over. I cannot physically use one anymore, which is why I must leave Windows Speech Recognition sleeping during those times that I don't have my hands on my mouse.

It's not really a serious issue, mostly annoying. I was just hoping that there was some easy fix. You know, I keep hearing that Microsoft is going to be updating the speech recognition interface, but it never seems to happen. :-(

Yes, I thought it was not an option for you to use the keyboard.

I think most of what will be updated will be for use on mobile devices. Have not seen much change in 8 years of WSR. That is why the WSRToolkit is still relevant.

Marty
russ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/Jan/2014 at 4:06pm
Sixwheels,

Would it help to have a WSR macro that closes and restarts WSR and WSR Macros? I have one, but I don't use it very much and I think it may need to be revised a little to work with Windows 8.1. I could fix it and post it if that would be helpful.

-Russ
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/Jan/2014 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by russ russ wrote:

Would it help to have a WSR macro that closes and restarts WSR and WSR Macros? I have one, but I don't use it very much and I think it may need to be revised a little to work with Windows 8.1. I could fix it and post it if that would be helpful.

A speech recognition software has to be running for a voice macro to execute. The only way I can think of making it work is to have Dragon running (Sleeping) and have a Dragon macro to start WSR. Just wake up Dragon, say the WSR start macro and put Dragon back to sleep. Only problem is Dragon may end up having a lag time. :-)

Marty
Sixwheels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sixwheels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/Jan/2014 at 10:41am

Sixwheels,

-Russ

Actually, that's not a bad idea, Russ. To solve the lagging issue I basically have to start Task Manager, end both tasks (WSR, and WSR Macros), and then restart them again. So, yes, a macro that would do that automatically would be quite helpful. :-) The problem I've found, though, is that just quitting Speech Recognition isn't always enough, because, for whatever reason, it still lingers sometimes. That's why I always have to use Task Manager.
Sixwheels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sixwheels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/Jan/2014 at 10:48am
Originally posted by mmarkoe_admin mmarkoe_admin wrote:

I think most of what will be updated will be for use on mobile devices. Have not seen much change in 8 years of WSR. That is why the WSRToolkit is still relevant.

Marty

Microsoft has put so much effort into speech recognition devices for automobiles, you would think that some of that will have to come back to their operating systems. From what I gather, the stuff they've been doing for cars is pretty impressive.
russ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/Jan/2014 at 9:01pm

Actually, that's not a bad idea, Russ. To solve the lagging issue I basically have to start Task Manager, end both tasks (WSR, and WSR Macros), and then restart them again. So, yes, a macro that would do that automatically would be quite helpful. :-) The problem I've found, though, is that just quitting Speech Recognition isn't always enough, because, for whatever reason, it still lingers sometimes. That's why I always have to use Task Manager.

Sixwheels, I will revise the macro and post it, but it may take a week or two. I don't currently have a Windows 8 computer because I returned mine this morning to its manufacturer and ordered a different one from the Microsoft Store. I'm hoping that the absence of bloatware on the new computer will increase its stability.

I'm not sure how the macro is exiting each program, but hopefully it will do it in a way that restores speech recognition to health on your computer.

-Russ
Sixwheels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sixwheels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/Jan/2014 at 7:22am

Sixwheels, I will revise the macro and post it, but it may take a week or two. I don't currently have a Windows 8 computer because I returned mine this morning to its manufacturer and ordered a different one from the Microsoft Store. I'm hoping that the absence of bloatware on the new computer will increase its stability.

I'm not sure how the macro is exiting each program, but hopefully it will do it in a way that restores speech recognition to health on your computer.

-Russ

Thanks a lot, Russ, I'll look forward to whatever you come up with. Sorry to hear about the computer. Bloatware is the black plague of this century; except without all the death. ;-)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic