MSSpeech-Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows™ Speech Recognition Forums > Microphones and Sound Input > Handheld/Desktop
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Acoustic Magic Microphone

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sixwheels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Acoustic Magic Microphone
    Posted: 14/Mar/2012 at 6:08pm
I'm definitely directing this question toward Marty because not only does he know a lot about this sort of thing, but I bought both an Acoustic Magic Microphone and a USB Sound Pod from Emicrophones in the past. So here's my question: is it better to plug this microphone directly into a line-in plug on a sound card, or use the sound pod? Which produces the best results? Smile
mmarkoe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/Mar/2012 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by Sixwheels Sixwheels wrote:

is it better to plug this microphone directly into a line-in plug on a sound card, or use the sound pod? Which produces the best results?
The Voice Tracker passes audio at Mic level input, not line level. Line level requires a pre-amp to boost the signal. Sound cards on computers almost always use Mic level input. You can use the Mic in on the sound card if you know the sound card is well shielded and does not pickup electronic noise from within the computer. A USB sound pod like the Andrea USB pod, assures purest audio as the audio is injected into the Central Processing Unit thus bypassing electronic noise with the computer enlclosure.

Marty
Marty Markoe, MVP
Microsoft Valued Partner
See us at: http://www.mymsspeech.com
Sixwheels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sixwheels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/Mar/2012 at 6:05pm
Thank you kindly, Marty. That is exactly the information I was looking for. Smile For the longest time I have been having a particular issue with all USB microphones, but specifically the Buddy Desktop Microphone. Any Input VOL above 10 causes a serious lag when you tell Speech Recognition to start listening. Often I will set the Input VOL, and SNR, all the way down to zero, and the microphone(s) still work. Is that normal? Another thing is that I still have the problem where Speech Recognition shuts off apparently because the buffer fills up, but I know that the Acoustic Magic Microphone does not do that when plugged into the proper port on my mother board's sound input. Is that particular issue only prevalent in USB based microphones? Smile
mmarkoe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/Mar/2012 at 6:35pm
Which version of Buddy Desktop? Is it 5G, 6G or 7G?

Marty
Marty Markoe, MVP
Microsoft Valued Partner
See us at: http://www.mymsspeech.com
Sixwheels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sixwheels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/Mar/2012 at 6:09pm
I'm not really certain, Marty. I have had it for at least two years, though, so it is probably the 5G. Would it be written on the microphone somewhere? Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic