MSSpeech-Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows™ Speech Recognition Forums > WSR for Professionals > Medical Professionals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EMR and Vista speech

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BradT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/Oct/2008 at 10:25am
Originally posted by cmwilkerson cmwilkerson wrote:

Still all I get is the  Alternate Panel in my EMR.

I think we're wrestling with two issues:

1. Dictation doesn't work (without the Alternate Panel) with WSR in your EMR software
2. WSRMacros isn't functioning properly.

#1 is the result of some software not adhering to "standards" (apparently set by Microsoft) and therefore pops up the Alternate Panel for you to verify what you said before inserting.

Focusing on #2 may provide the most benefit, if we can get this going you might be able to come up with a workable macro that will ease the problem of #1.

Since the WSRToolkit may be pointing to the wrong directory, copy/paste this macro into your Speech Macros directory (using notepad), saving it with the .WSRMac extension.  It's very simple, but will allow verification of properly functioning Speech Macros.

<speechMacros>
<command>
<listenFor>hello</listenFor>
<setTextFeedback>Hello, it's working</setTextFeedback>
<speak>Hello, it's working</speak>
<insertText>Hello, it's working</insertText>
</command>
</speechMacros>

You shouldn't get any error messages after the copy/paste/save.  Open notepad and say "hello".  You should hear a voice, the Speech Recognition Bar should display a message and words will appear in notepad as well.  Let me know and we can go from here...

Brad
cmwilkerson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmwilkerson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/Oct/2008 at 10:32am

Did exactly as instructed and macro is present under Speech Macros folder but the macro text is not being inserted in Notepad, only the word hello.

It appears my macros are still not working!
Dr. Chris Wilkerson
Carson Doctors Group
MVP TabletPC
www.MedicalTabletPC.com
www.Digital-Doc.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmwilkerson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/Oct/2008 at 10:37am

Wait a minute!

I just navigated to my C:\Program Files\WSRMacros\wsmacros.exe and changed the properties to open as adminstrator and your macro worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Macro issue is solved!

FYI: I use Vista Ultimate on all 3 computers that had the same problem. Maybe others without this problem are not on ultimate?

Darn, now I am at home and my EMR is at work so I will have to wait till Monday to fix and try,  unless WVR works over a VPN.

Edited by cmwilkerson - 11/Oct/2008 at 10:55am
Dr. Chris Wilkerson
Carson Doctors Group
MVP TabletPC
www.MedicalTabletPC.com
www.Digital-Doc.com

BradT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BradT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/Oct/2008 at 11:05am

Wait a minute!

I just navigated to my C:\Program Files\WSRMacros\wsmacros.exe and changed the properties to open as adminstrator and your macro worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Macro issue is solved!

FYI: I use Vista Ultimate on all 3 computers that had the same problem. Maybe others without this problem are not on ultimate?

Darn, now I am at home and my EMR is at work so I will have to wait till Monday to fix and try,  unless WVR works over a VPN.

Woo-hooo!  Thanks for posting that.  I had no idea...

Brad
BradT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BradT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/Oct/2008 at 11:38am
Originally posted by BradT BradT wrote:

[QUOTE=cmwilkerson] 
Still all I get is the  Alternate Panel in my EMR.

Here's a macro that will allow you to dictate (indirectly) into applications that pop-up the Alternates Panel.  This macro will open Notepad when you say "begin emr dictation", you then proceed to dictate as normal.  When complete just say "post emr dictation" and it will automatically select/copy all text within Notepad, switch to your EMR application (writepad.exe) and paste the text at the current cursor location.  I believe this is similar to the way Dragon NaturallySpeaking works with the "show dictation box" command.

<speechMacros>

<!-- begin emr dictation -->
<command>

<listenFor>begin e m r dictation</listenFor>
<run command="notepad.exe" params=""/>

</command>

<!-- post emr dictation -->
<command>

<listenFor>post e m r dictation</listenFor>

<sendKeys>{{CTRL}}a</sendKeys>
<waitFor seconds=".25"/>
<sendKeys>{{CTRL}}c</sendKeys>
<waitFor seconds=".25"/>
<switchToApp windowTitleContains="WritePad"/>
<waitFor seconds=".5"/>
<sendKeys>{{CTRL}}v</sendKeys>

</command>

</speechMacros>
BradT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BradT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/Oct/2008 at 11:03am
I've been thinking about this macro a little more and have made some refinements.  It will now automatically switch back to notepad and delete the previous dictated text after posting it into the EMR application.  Pretty cool! Cool

(one prerequisite: create a text file named 'ShowDictationWindow.txt' and change the path within the <run> tag to point to this file.  As you can see, this is required so the <switchToApp> tag can have a specific windowTitleContains name to switch back to. )

<speechMacros>

<!-- begin dictation -->
<command>

<listenFor>begin e m r dictation</listenFor>
<run command="notepad.exe" params="C:\Users\Brad\Documents\ShowDictationWindow.txt"/>

</command>

<!-- post dictation -->
<command>

<listenFor>post e m r dictation</listenFor>

<sendKeys>{{CTRL}}a</sendKeys>
<waitFor seconds=".25"/>
<sendKeys>{{CTRL}}c</sendKeys>
<waitFor seconds=".25"/>
<switchToApp windowTitleContains="WritePad.exe"/>
<waitFor seconds=".5"/>
<sendKeys>{{CTRL}}v</sendKeys>
<waitFor seconds=".25"/>
<!-- switch back and clear -->
<switchToApp windowTitleContains="ShowDictationWindow.txt"/>
<waitFor seconds=".5"/>
<sendKeys>{{CTRL}}a{250 WAIT}{DELETE}</sendKeys>

</command>

</speechMacros>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmwilkerson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/Nov/2008 at 4:03pm

Can anyone confirm that:

WSR uses the Vocabulary of the Tablet Input Panel? (TIP)

If this is true, then with a powertoy from MS (dictionarytool.exe), I can import a medical vocabulary into TIP that will be utilized by WSR.

Dr. Chris Wilkerson
Carson Doctors Group
MVP TabletPC
www.MedicalTabletPC.com
www.Digital-Doc.com

BradT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BradT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/Nov/2008 at 12:34pm

Can anyone confirm that:

WSR uses the Vocabulary of the Tablet Input Panel? (TIP)

If this is true, then with a powertoy from MS (dictionarytool.exe), I can import a medical vocabulary into TIP that will be utilized by WSR.

According to a reliable source at Microsoft:

"No, WSR and the handwriting recognizer use different vocabularies.  They're not compatible at all."

Unhappy

Edited by BradT - 17/Nov/2008 at 12:35pm
robch_ms View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robch_ms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/Nov/2008 at 9:49am
Sorry... Sometimes the wrong information gets out of MS... Actually, the two systems are very very linked.

I can confirm that the two sub-systems (both Handwriting and Windows Speech Recognition) do indeed use the same underlying store for supplemental vocabularies.

It's kind of funny, in fact... After finishing up the re-write of the Speech platform back in the late 90s in the speech team, I left that team, and landed in the Tablet PC team, where I led about half the platform development team for handwriting platform features (in addition to the very early implementations of Speech Recognition on Tablet PC).

The Handwriting team needed a system to enable the same types of features for a dictionary that we had developed for the Speech Recognizer but instead for the Handwriting Recognizer. So ... Instead of duplicating the speech dictionary code, or building something new, we just use the exact same store (for lexical entries). Not only was it easier to develop (because it was already done), it's a great end user sharing feature as well.

In addition, both correction experiences are tied together. For example, if you were to dictate something to the speech recognizer, and then select it for correction with the handwriting recognizer, you'll see the speech alternatives in the handwriting UI. Same is true in reverse. If you handwrite something and insert it into the document, you can select it with the pen and say "Correct that", and you'll see the handwriting alternatives in the speech correction UI.

mmarkoe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/Nov/2008 at 10:11am
Originally posted by robch_ms robch_ms wrote:

Sorry... Sometimes the wrong information gets out of MS... Actually, the two systems are very very linked.
Thank you for letting us know of your new take on the initial question.

I would like some further clarification. It seems that Dr. Wilkerson is calling this a vocabulary. It seems to me that this is just a matter of adding words? This is not a true language model which includes the context associations as well as the pronunciations?

Marty
Marty Markoe, MVP
Microsoft Valued Partner
See us at: http://www.mymsspeech.com
robch_ms View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robch_ms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/Nov/2008 at 10:47am
Sorry, Marty. I tried to make that clear in my previous post.

For Speech, there are 2 things:
1.) Lexicon - This the list of words that can be used. Each word has an optional pronuncation. If a pronuncation isn't specified we'll use LTS (letter to sound) rules to "guess" a pronuncation.
2.) Language Model - This is the relative frequency of occurrence of words in the context of other words.

The DictionaryTool that Dr. Wilkerson mentioned is simply adding items to the lexicon (without specified pronuncations). He's calling that a vocabulary. That's a reasonable thing to call it, although, it's not what we call it in Vista for speech. We call it a dictionary, sort of like a dictionary that you'd pick up at a local bookstore. It has words, their spellings, and their pronuncations in it.

--rob

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmwilkerson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/Nov/2008 at 8:56am
Thanks for the explanation Rob!

So the trick to optimizing WSR with Medical is:
1. Import a pertinent dictionary-Lexicon
2. Scan prior medical documents into WSR so the words can be seen in their overall frequency of occurrence within the context of other words. (words often related to other words).

Edited by cmwilkerson - 20/Nov/2008 at 8:59am
Dr. Chris Wilkerson
Carson Doctors Group
MVP TabletPC
www.MedicalTabletPC.com
www.Digital-Doc.com

BradT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BradT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/Nov/2008 at 9:10am

Thanks for the explanation Rob!

So the trick to optimizing WSR with Medical is:
1. Import a pertinent dictionary-Lexicon
2. Scan prior medical documents into WSR so the words can be seen in their overall frequency of occurrence within the context of other words. (words often related to other words).

Maybe Rob will validate this, but I believe the best way with WSR is to:

1. Scan prior medical documents into WSR so the words can be seen in their overall frequency of occurrence within the context of other words. (words often related to other words).

Then, after certain words/phrases fail repeatedly, add them to the lexicon.

I have been told that performance will begin to suffer around about 1,000 words in the lexicon but the addition of words to the language model (context) is unlimited.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmwilkerson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/Nov/2008 at 9:19am

"I have been told that performance will begin to suffer around about 1,000 words in the lexicon but the addition of words to the language model (context) is unlimited."

In my experience, there can be an inverse recognition to medical and lay recognition. In other words, if you fill your dictionary with medical words, the lay output can suffer. Perhaps this subjective experience is because of, "Overload." Or it may be brain fatigue on my part?

Is there any way to delete an entire profile or dictionary?

Knowing what I know now, I would be much more discretionary about what I import and scan.
Dr. Chris Wilkerson
Carson Doctors Group
MVP TabletPC
www.MedicalTabletPC.com
www.Digital-Doc.com

robch_ms View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robch_ms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/Nov/2008 at 9:26am
You can delete your profile (and/or create a new one) in the Advanced Speech Control Panel. Say, "Show Speech Options", "Configuration", "Open Speech Control Panel", "Advanced Speech Options". Then, you can use "New" to create a new profile, or "Delete" to delete the selected profile.

If you want to remove words from you user lexicon, you can export the speech dictionary with the "Speech Dictionary.wsrMac" macro on http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/wsrmacros.

--rob

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmwilkerson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/Nov/2008 at 9:33am
Originally posted by robch_ms robch_ms wrote:

You can delete your profile (and/or create a new one) in the Advanced Speech Control Panel. Say, "Show Speech Options", "Configuration", "Open Speech Control Panel", "Advanced Speech Options". Then, you can use "New" to create a new profile, or "Delete" to delete the selected profile.

If you want to remove words from you user lexicon, you can export the speech dictionary with the "Speech Dictionary.wsrMac" macro on http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/wsrmacros.

--rob

0utstanding! Thanks so much! Guess I lost sight of the forest through the trees. Smile

Edited by cmwilkerson - 20/Nov/2008 at 9:34am
Dr. Chris Wilkerson
Carson Doctors Group
MVP TabletPC
www.MedicalTabletPC.com
www.Digital-Doc.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmwilkerson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/May/2009 at 11:33am

I'm using WSR on Windows 7 with a Lenovo Tabletpc with internal array mic and 4 gigs of RAM. It works great but needs a medical lexicon. For example, the word, "radiculitis," is seen as "ridiculous." Using the TabletDictionary's import tool, I imported a 1000 medical words.

After the import, radiculitis is found, as are every medical word present in my import!!!
You can read about it here: http://www.medicaltabletpc.com/

Edited by cmwilkerson - 10/May/2009 at 1:42pm
Dr. Chris Wilkerson
Carson Doctors Group
MVP TabletPC
www.MedicalTabletPC.com
www.Digital-Doc.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmwilkerson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/May/2009 at 1:40pm
>>However text still a no go, unless I want to use the Alternate Panel in my EMR.<<

No longer an issue with Windows 7 WSR. Thumbs Up
Dr. Chris Wilkerson
Carson Doctors Group
MVP TabletPC
www.MedicalTabletPC.com
www.Digital-Doc.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic