MSSpeech-Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows™ Speech Recognition Forums > New Users & General Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Distinguishing Between Dictation and Commands

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkStrobel3367 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Distinguishing Between Dictation and Commands
    Posted: 11/Dec/2011 at 11:38am
I use Windows 7 Speech Recognition to search keywords/phrases in Google Reader within the latest version of Firefox.  It does fairly well.  However, when I say the word 'research' as a search keyword, instead of typing the word within the search box, Speech Recognition treats the word as a command by searching for the word 'research' on that page.  I cannot find it anywhere where the word 'research' is used as a command within Windows 7 Speech Recognition.  Does anyone know why this is happening and what I could do to have Speech Recognition treat the word 'research' as a dictation rather than a command?  Thank you.
mmarkoe_admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/Dec/2011 at 7:35am
Originally posted by MarkStrobel3367 MarkStrobel3367 wrote:

when I say the word 'research' as a search keyword, instead of typing the word within the search box, Speech Recognition treats the word as a command by searching for the word 'research' on that page.
I just tried using the word research in Internet Explorer as search bar and had no problem. I can think of two possible ways around the problem in Firefox:
1. Try not using the word research on its own and do not pause at the word. When you pause between words the system is looking for a command.
2. Create a macro for word research. If this problem still occurs from the macro, you can change the name of the new text macro to something else.

Marty Markoe, eMicrophones, Inc.
Microsoft MVP
MarkStrobel3367 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkStrobel3367 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/Dec/2011 at 11:25am
Thank you for your response.  This morning, Windows 7 Speech Recognition using Firefox also recognized the following words as commands:

Data
Findings
Poll

I'm assuming that this speech recognition program does better with complete sentences than single words or 2-word phrases.  This is an intermittent problem.  I just cannot figure out why it is problematic at times, but the rest of the time it behaves appropriately.

I don't know what you mean by your second recommendation or your use of the word 'macro'.  Can you please elaborate on this recommendation?  

Also, could using Firefox have anything to do with this problem?
Thanks.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/Dec/2011 at 12:07pm

I'm assuming that this speech recognition program does better with complete sentences than single words or 2-word phrases.

Speech recognition dictation programs work by first listening for the sounds of a word, the phonemes or individual sounds that make up a word. After deciding on some good possibilities for what the word you said is, it looks at the words before and after for context clues. Look at how each similar sound word in the following examples can only go with the context words:

"They're going to park their car over there."

"Two boys went to see a doctor because they ate too much food."

Quote "This is an intermittent problem.  I just cannot figure out why it is problematic at times, but the rest of the time it behaves appropriately."

Have you tried Internet Explorer? WSR is a Microsoft program as is IE and may be integrated better into IE.

Quote I don't know what you mean by your second recommendation or your use of the word 'macro'.  Can you please elaborate on this recommendation?

Macros are time saving shortcuts. There are 3 kinds of macros.
1.Text macros - insert blocks of text. When I say, "Signoff" it inserts:
Marty Markoe, eMicrophones, Inc.
See us at: www.emicrophones.com
Microsoft MVP
2.Command macros - I could make a command to Select All and Copy in one step and have the trigger name to execute this command, "Copy Document." Command Macros use common keyboard keystrokes. The Delete Document command keystrokes would be CTRL+A with CTRL+C
3.Navigation macros - these help you move from window to window or field to field and typically use keystrokes as well. Shift+Tab for example could be called Previous Field.

You could download WSRMacros from the Microsoft Web Site. You would need to know some programming to create Command and Navigation macros. The easiest way to create macros is using the Macro Wizard in the WSRToolkit which has many other useful features.

Marty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkStrobel3367 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/Dec/2011 at 12:21pm
Thank you for your response.  The only reason why I use Firefox is because I found an addon, Google Plus, that marks items as read when scrolled in the list view during searches in Google Reader.  I really wish that the folks would make this available on Google Reader.  Presently, this feature is only present on the expanded view.  

I still don't have an understanding of macros.  It sounds too complicated for me.  I appreciate your recommendations, but if this is what I would need to do to resolve this issue, I would much rather consider purchasing a speech recognition software that I know will do this easy task.  It seems to me that XP's speech recognition software was much less complicated, easier to use, and more accurate.  It is my opinion that what is messing me up with Windows 7's software are all the commands.  I still cannot find on any site that the word 'research' or any of the other terms that I am having difficulty with are actual commands.  So honestly, I don't know what the software is doing when I attempt to dictate these individual words.  Either my version of Windows 7 speech recognition software is faulty or the software in general is completely flawed!!!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/Dec/2011 at 12:39pm
Mark,

>  It is my opinion that what is messing me up with Windows 7's software are all the commands.
You have not said what microphone you are using? If the microphone is not a good quality speech recognition microphone, then the audio may be distorted and cause the words you say to be misinterpreted.

Marty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkStrobel3367 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/Dec/2011 at 12:45pm
I am using Cyber Accoustics headset that I purchased from either Walmart or Bestbuy a while back.  I thought the same thing but this doesn't really explain why this headset worked fine with XP speech recognition and not for Windows 7.  If it was a bad headset, wouldn't it work poorly for both?

At one point, I searched the Internet including the Best Buy website to see if there are any mics specifically made for voice recognition but I couldn't find any.  Do you have a recommendation regarding a specific mic?  
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/Dec/2011 at 1:47pm

I am using Cyber Accoustics headset that I purchased from either Walmart or Bestbuy a while back.  I thought the same thing but this doesn't really explain why this headset worked fine with XP speech recognition and not for Windows 7.  If it was a bad headset, wouldn't it work poorly for both?
Cyber Acoustics headsets are poor background noise cancelers. In our testing several years ago, they picked up the clicking of the keyboard as words/commands. Headsets go bad over time. Poorly consructed ones have diaphragms that can dry out and not respond as well to the vibrations of one's voice. Cables can short. As for working with XP, were you working with the same version of Firefox?
Quote At one point, I searched the Internet including the Best Buy website to see if there are any mics specifically made for voice recognition but I couldn't find any.  Do you have a recommendation regarding a specific mic?
Microphones found at Best Buy, Staples, etc. are consumer quality and made for Internet Chat/Skype and Gamers.

Take a look at our USB headsets at:

I am using Cyber Accoustics headset that I purchased from either Walmart or Bestbuy a while back. I thought the same thing but this doesn't really explain why this headset worked fine with XP speech recognition and not for Windows 7. If it was a bad headset, wouldn't it work poorly for both?
Cyber Acoustics headsets are poor background noise cancelers. In our testing several years ago, they picked up the clicking of the keyboard as words/commands. Headsets go bad over time. Poorly consructed ones have diaphragms that can dry out and not respond as well to the vibrations of one's voice. Cables can short. As for working with XP, were you working with the same version of Firefox?
Quote At one point, I searched the Internet including the Best Buy website to see if there are any mics specifically made for voice recognition but I couldn't find any. Do you have a recommendation regarding a specific mic?
Microphones found at Best Buy, Staples, etc. are consumer quality and made for Internet Chat/Skype and Gamers.
Take a look at our USB headsets
The Sennheiser ME3/USB is the very best but pricey. If you use your microphone all day long, you'll appreciate the ME3 for its accuracy and noise canceling, the 2 most important factors to get speech recognition. If you are not doing professional level dictation and need a good headset, look at the Andrea ANC-700/750 (same except 750 has 2 earphones), the VXI headset are also worth a look.

Marty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkStrobel3367 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/Dec/2011 at 1:54pm
Thanks for your recommendations.  However, why would my headset mic work for XP and not very well for Windows 7?  I use it everyday.  I really don't that that it simply went bad after purchasing my new computer with Windows 7.  I plan to go to Bestbuy to see what they have.  However, I am reluctant purchasing another mic in fear that this may not be the problem.  
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/Dec/2011 at 4:06pm
> However, I am reluctant purchasing another mic in fear that this may not be the problem.    
Your reluctance is certainly understandable.

Marty

Edited by mmarkoe_admin - 12/Dec/2011 at 4:08pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic