MSSpeech-Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows™ Speech Recognition Forums > New Users & General Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

why is WSR switching from "sleep" to "off"?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alassiel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: why is WSR switching from "sleep" to "off"?
    Posted: 14/Nov/2011 at 5:18pm
Greetings,

I've been having a problem with WSR. Don't know why it's happening nor what to do to keep it from happening. I'm running WSR on my Win7 laptop. The laptop runs on AC power, not battery. When I boot my laptop in the morning, WSR auto-starts and goes into "sleep" mode. I give the "Start Listening" command and start my dictation tasks. I always put WSR into "sleep" mode when I am done. There are times when I'm not using my laptop for multiple hours. When I now return, I often find that WSR has switched from "sleep" to "off". I don't recall this happening when I first started using WSR a few months ago. Unfortunately, once WSR switches to "off", I cannot seem to get WSR to work again. I have tried switching it to "on". WSR listens for a few seconds and then goes back to "off". I have tried closing WSR and then restarting it after confirming, via Task Manager, that WSR-related processes (sapisvr, WSRMacros) are not running. No luck. The only solution that I have found to resolve the problem is to reboot my laptop. Upon system reboot, WSR behaves the way I expect it to behave.

Unfortunately, rebooting my laptop multiple times a day is not a practical solution.  In fact, I am typing this post rather than rebooting. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
mmarkoe_admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/Nov/2011 at 11:31pm
I only use Sleep mode (Stop Listening) for short durations. The software is constantaly listening to every sound in the environment for the Start Listening command. After awhile the speech buffer can fill up and choke the system. When not using for WSR for more than a minute or two, I turn the microphone to Off mode to prevent the software to continue processing sounds.

Did you know there are 2 ways to turn the microphone Off?
a. Right Click the microphone icon on the Speech Bar and select Off.
b. Hold the Ctrl key and tap the Winodows (Start) key. This acts like an Listen/Off toggle.

Marty
alassiel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alassiel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/Nov/2011 at 10:17am
Thanks for your response, Marty.

Originally posted by mmarkoe_admin mmarkoe_admin wrote:

I only use Sleep mode (Stop Listening) for short durations. The software is constantaly listening to every sound in the environment for the Start Listening command. After awhile the speech buffer can fill up and choke the system.

Yes, I was concerned about system performance.  That is why I had been so diligent in using the "Stop Listening" command; it was my attempt at avoiding any system bottlenecks.  I understand now that in actuality, behind the scenes, WSR was still doing too much listening while in sleep mode as it waited for the "Start Listening" command.

Originally posted by mmarkoe_admin mmarkoe_admin wrote:

When not using for WSR for more than a minute or two, I turn the microphone to Off mode to prevent the software to continue processing sounds.

I will switch to using the "off" command, per your suggestion, and reserve the "Stop Listening" for shorter intervals.  Hopefully, this takes care of the problem.  I think I'll know in the next day or two.  Thanks again Smile.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic