MSSpeech-Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows™ Speech Recognition Forums > Accessibility for the Disabled
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Windows Speech Recognition

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windows Speech Recognition
    Posted: 18/Sep/2008 at 3:55pm
For many of us with physical disabilities, voice-recognition products have enabled us to do so much . I found myself wondering, the other day, whether I knew that when I upgraded to Vista it would have a built in voice recognition product. Honestly, I don't remember. However, I was quite delighted to find that it did even though I was an experienced user of Dragon 9. I was especially impressed by the ability to control the Windows environment by voice which Windows speech recognition provides. Have you had similar experiences? Do you wonder why Microsoft hasn't done more to advertise this potential?
Take care, Jerry
ramble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/Dec/2008 at 12:38pm
Jerry, I cannot believe that there has not been more info from Microsoft on this.  I will be setting this up for a family member shortly.  He has not been able to use his computer for a couple of months now, and it has been a year since he has been able to use it regularly.  He has M.S. which has gradually taken away the use of his hands.  His voice is getting weaker but should be strong enough for this.  Had we known about this earlier, we would have gotten him going sooner.  We'll look at this positively, though.  It is an exciting development for him.
Jerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/Dec/2008 at 2:40pm

Originally posted by ramble ramble wrote:

Jerry, I cannot believe that there has not been more info from Microsoft on this.  I will be setting this up for a family member shortly.  He has not been able to use his computer for a couple of months now, and it has been a year since he has been able to use it regularly.  He has M.S. which has gradually taken away the use of his hands.  His voice is getting weaker but should be strong enough for this.  Had we known about this earlier, we would have gotten him going sooner.  We'll look at this positively, though.  It is an exciting development for him.

Hello Ramble,

Thank you for sharing this experience. You are the 2nd person in as many days who has shared surprise at the fact that this potential exists within Vista. That person also has a severe neuromuscular disability and was quite delighted when I pointed out this feature to her. She wrote back to me utilizing voice dictation for the 1st time and was thrilled. I hope it works out for your brother-in-law. Keep us posted!Smile

Take care, Jerry
ramble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/Dec/2008 at 12:27pm
Posted on "Whats on your computer" as well.  I brought Craig's computer back to him yesterday.  Installed Vista on it, added memory and reconfigured his email.  We went thru the SR tutorial and replied to an email.  It worked beautifully.  He is in awe of it and is well on his way.  I was concerned that he might get into areas where he would get stuck but he tried the mouse grid and worked his way thru a couple of problems.
mmarkoe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/Dec/2008 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by ramble ramble wrote:

Posted on "Whats on your computer" as well.  I brought Craig's computer back to him yesterday.  Installed Vista on it, added memory and reconfigured his email.  We went thru the SR tutorial and replied to an email.  It worked beautifully.  He is in awe of it and is well on his way.  I was concerned that he might get into areas where he would get stuck but he tried the mouse grid and worked his way thru a couple of problems.
This is great news. Please see our web page for the WSRToolkit. At the bottom of that page you can download the form to apply for the free as we supply this gratis to people with disabilities.

The toolkit will allow your family member to easily create text macros among many other things.

Marty
Marty Markoe, MVP
Microsoft Valued Partner
See us at: http://www.mymsspeech.com
eotday View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eotday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/Jul/2009 at 3:39pm

My son is just beginning to use WSR.  Does WSR allow multiple users?  I'd like to use it myself in order to learn the features and commands more quickly so I can help him learn and use them.  I'd also find the program useful for myself from time to time. Smile

mmarkoe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/Jul/2009 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by eotday eotday wrote:

My son is just beginning to use WSR.  Does WSR allow multiple users?  I'd like to use it myself in order to learn the features and commands more quickly so I can help him learn and use them.  I'd also find the program useful for myself from time to time. Smile 
You should have created a new topic. 

It is very easy to create a new and separate user in WSR.  Open the Control Panel window.  Open Speech Recognition.  In the upper right, wicked minute speech options.  Then click, "New." Give the new user a unique name like yours.  Then train the user profile.  You should then be able to use the new user as your own. 

Marty

Edited by mmarkoe - 03/Jul/2009 at 5:58pm
Marty Markoe, MVP
Microsoft Valued Partner
eotday View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eotday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/Jul/2009 at 7:51pm
Thank you for your prompt reply Marty.   I've now set up my own speech profile! 

I'm sorry I didn't start a new thread - I initially was going to remark that I purchased a new computer for my son a year ago specifically so he could use Naturally Speaking 9.  The computer came with Vista.  Recently I was reminded that Windows Speech was available in the applications.  We had never tried it in all this time, but wish we had sooner.  So far we really like it and it's more stable than NS9.

Thanks again!

Edited by eotday - 03/Jul/2009 at 7:55pm
mmarkoe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/Jul/2009 at 11:18am
Originally posted by eotday eotday wrote:

Thank you for your prompt reply Marty.   I've now set up my own speech profile! 
Great. Best way to learn is to use it.

Quote I'm sorry I didn't start a new thread
No problem. I just thought your question was more universal and should have been posted in New Users and General Questions. This way a new user would be more likely to find the answer if they had the same question.

Quote I initially was going to remark that I purchased a new computer for my son a year ago specifically so he could use Naturally Speaking 9.  The computer came with Vista.  Recently I was reminded that Windows Speech was available in the applications.  We had never tried it in all this time, but wish we had sooner.  So far we really like it and it's more stable than NS9.
WSR is not as full featured as Dragon (my main complaint is you cannot keyboard corrections into the Alternates panel). With the WSRToolkit, most of the functionality is there.  Were someone with a disability, I believe WSR is in many ways easier to use.  I'm especially like the Show Numbers function.

Marty

Marty Markoe, MVP
Microsoft Valued Partner
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic