MSSpeech-Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows™ Speech Recognition Forums > New Users & General Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Uncooperative program

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcpeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Uncooperative program
    Posted: 16/Sep/2011 at 2:24pm
I have having some frustrations with this program.  I use it every day for my job in the medical industry.  If someone can help me figure out how to have this dictate as I want it, that would be great. 

I dictate "physician".  It spits out "Physician" (with a capital "P").  I cannot get it NOT capitalize this word.

I dictate "followup".  It spits out "follow-up" (with the dash).  I always have to change this, because we are not allowed to use the dash.

I dictate the word "versus."  It spits out "vs."  I need the word spelled out.

I dictate "x-ray."  It spits out "X-Ray" (with the X and the R capitalized).  The way it spits out is incorrect. 

I cannot figure out how to get these issues corrected.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
andy t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/Sep/2011 at 9:43am

Originally posted by mcpeg mcpeg wrote:

I have having some frustrations with this program. I use it every day for my job in the medical industry. If someone can help me figure out how to have this dictate as I want it, that would be great.

I dictate "physician". It spits out "Physician" (with a capital "P"). I cannot get it NOT capitalize this word.

I dictate "followup". It spits out "follow-up" (with the dash). I always have to change this, because we are not allowed to use the dash.

mcpeg,

If you are dictating using Windows Speech Recognition, say, "Open Speech Dictionary."  This will open the Windows speech recognition dictionary. 

Then, click on "Add a new word."  Then taking your first example above, type or dictate in physician (with a small "p") into the window.  Then click "Next."

Then check the small box that says, "Record a pronunciation upon Finish."

Then click "Finish."  Once you click that, another window will be presented to you with two buttons.

One of the buttons will say, "Record" and be active; the other one will say, "Listen" and not be active.  Click the "Record" button and then pronounce the word.  If the recording is successful, it will tell you so in the window.  Once you have successfully recorded your word, the Listen button will then become active.  You can then click "Listen" to hear your recording if you wish.  Click the "Finish" button once you have finished.

Now when you dictate, physician should come out with a small "p."

To make doubly sure that physician always comes out with a small "p," you can open the speech dictionary again as I have explained above.  This time, click the "Prevent a word from being dictated" button.  Type or dictate Physician (with a large "P") in the window.  Then click "Next."

This will take you to another window telling you that the word "Physician" (with a large "P") will be added to the Speech Dictionary marked as 'Cannot Dictate.'  You then click "Finish"

You can easily reverse everything you change within this dictionary if you study it and learn about it.  There is also another option for changing, editing or deleting words that are already in the Speech Dictionary.

You can then do the same to your other examples with the instructions I have given above.  If you change follow-up to followup and you are using Microsoft Word, you will get a red squiggly line underneath it indicating that it is incorrect.  Either follow-up is hyphenated or two separate words but I guess it is up to you how you want it :-)

Have a go and see how you get on with all of your examples.

Good luck

andy t

Edited by andy t - 17/Sep/2011 at 10:13am
mcpeg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcpeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/Sep/2011 at 12:52pm
Andy, thanks for the reply.   I should have explained that I have already tried all your above suggestions, and still does not work.  I still get Physician instead of physician.  Also, when doing "prevent a word from being dictated" it will not allow any spaces, dashes, or anything other than letters, so it is impossible to enter in my "X-Ray", "Follow-up", or "Vs."  

I have even tried speaking "correct x-ray" during my dictation, and have manually spelled it in this area.  Still no luck.  I don't know what else to do.  Sure, I can work around it, and type these in manually when needed in my dictation, but I would rather be able to get the program to do what I want it to do, LOL.
andy t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/Sep/2011 at 3:51pm

Quote Also, when doing "prevent a word from being dictated" it will not allow any spaces, dashes, or anything other than letters, so it is impossible to enter in my "X-Ray", "Follow-up", or "Vs."

Yes, you're quite right.  I forgot it will not allow any spaces dashes or anything to be altered in this way.  Although regarding the physician with a small 'p,' I am now getting mixed results.  Sometimes when dictating I get it with a large 'P' and other times I get it with a small 'p' though not consistent.

When you brought up the speech dictionary and clicked on 'Add a new word,' I presume you tried spelling the word "physician" by saying 'start spelling' instead of straight off just dictating it?

The only bullet-proof way I know of to make words come out as you want them every time in Windows speech recognition, is by using the Windows speech recognition macros program.

You can then make a text macro, call it the name you wish and then put in the exact word you wish to be dictated (i.e. x-ray, versus or followup) when you dictate its name.  This way, it will show the word how you want it every time.  You should check out the macro programs for Windows speech recognition.  It is completely free.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=13045

Even better still, you can buy the WSR toolkit from this site that does all that for you and much more once you have learnt a bit about it.  The cost is only $26.

http://www.emicrophones.com/p-3033-wsrtoolkit-v2.aspx

Good luck.

andy t

Edited by andy t - 18/Sep/2011 at 4:23pm
mcpeg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcpeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/Sep/2011 at 4:43pm
Thanks so much for your help.  I have located and downloaded the macro program.  However it does not seem to be working.  I noticed, before I downloaded it, that it states it is for Vista, and I am running WIN-7.  Should that make a difference??? 
After downloading it, I clicked on the program to open it, noticed the macros icon in my "Start" tray, so it seems to be dowloaded just fine.  However, when I click on the Macros icon to open it, nothing happens.  Any ideas ???  

Again, thanks so much.
andy t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/Sep/2011 at 2:01pm

Originally posted by mcpeg mcpeg wrote:

Thanks so much for your help. I have located and downloaded the macro program. However it does not seem to be working. I noticed, before I downloaded it, that it states it is for Vista, and I am running WIN-7. Should that make a difference???

No.  I have Windows 7 and I use it.  Vista was the first operating system it was made for but it works fine in Windows 7

Quote After downloading it, I clicked on the program to open it, noticed the macros icon in my "Start" tray, so it seems to be dowloaded just fine. However, when I click on the Macros icon to open it, nothing happens. Any ideas ???

Again, thanks so much.

I forgot to mention, you also need to download the WSR profile tool that I believe works in conjunction with the WSR macro program.  Download it here.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=16296

Have a good read of the page and the instructions and then click the "continue" button.  This will take you to another web page.

On this page, you will see 3 download buttons.  The "WSRProfile.exe is the main program you need to download.  The other 2 items, download as well as they are instructions and release notes that you should read to find out how it all works.

Here are a couple more advanced forums on the subject of Windows speech recognition.  They may also help you with your questions.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ms-speech/

http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/wsrmacros/Wiki/View.aspx?title=Using%20the%20WSR%20Macros%20Wizard%20tutorial&referringTitle=Hom

See how you get on once you have done all that :-)

good luck

andy t

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic