MSSpeech-Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows™ Speech Recognition Forums > New Users & General Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

results not translated into document

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gwatts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: results not translated into document
    Posted: 10/Jun/2011 at 11:21am
Frequently when dictating into Microsoft Word 2002, DragonPad, Libreoffice 3, or dictating commands, and even the dictation box the dictation is visible in the results box but is either significantly delayed or will not move into the target or execute the command.

Using Vista,  DNS Medical 10.1, revolabs xtag mic. This occurs on two separate computers and even as new user.
mmarkoe_admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/Jun/2011 at 11:53am
Originally posted by gwatts gwatts wrote:

Frequently when dictating into Microsoft Word 2002, DragonPad, Libreoffice 3, or dictating commands, and even the dictation box the dictation is visible in the results box but is either significantly delayed or will not move into the target or execute the command.

Using Vista,  DNS Medical 10.1, revolabs xtag mic. This occurs on two separate computers and even as new user.
I do not believe Word 2002 is supported by WSR. WSR works fast and accurately in Word 2007.

Marty

Edited by mmarkoe_admin - 10/Jun/2011 at 11:56am
gwatts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gwatts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/Jun/2011 at 3:20pm
Thank you Marty but what about the others?  DragonPad, Libreoffice 3, or dictating commands, and even the dictation box?       
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/Jun/2011 at 5:22pm

Thank you Marty but what about the others?  DragonPad, Libreoffice 3, or dictating commands, and even the dictation box?
For WSR dictation to work, an application must conform to MSAA (Microsoft Active Accessibility) guidelines published for application developers. When these guidelines are followed, an application will not only accept WSR dictation but will allow proper navigation which is especially important for people with disabilities.

As a note, it costs nothing for a developer to follow the guidelines except the time to read them.

Marty
andy t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/Jun/2011 at 2:14am

gwatts,

Using Vista, DNS Medical 10.1, revolabs xtag mic. This occurs on two separate computers and even as new user.

Firstly, what is the target you are trying to execute your dictation into? 

Secondly, Marty is perfectly correct when he says, "For WSR dictation to work, an application must conform to MSAA (Microsoft Active Accessibility) guidelines published for application developers.  When these guidelines are followed, an application will not only accept WSR dictation but will allow proper navigation that is especially important for people with disabilities." 

Thirdly, if you have DNS Medical 10.1 and you're using DragonPad, why do you not continue to use DNS itself instead of trying to switch to WSR?  Why do you not then use Dragon to move your dictation into your preferred target?  Although I agree, DragonPad should work and can be transferred into another application such as Word 2007 using WSR.  I have tried this myself and I know for a fact it works in WSR.  Once again, it will not work in either application if the application you want your dictation to be transferred into does not conform to MSAA.

Finally, Microsoft Word 2002 (I may be wrong here) sounds a bit outdated and it may be time for you to step up to at least Word 2007 for better results in your quest here.

These are just my observations to the problems you pose and nothing else.

Thanks

andy t

Edited by andy t - 12/Jun/2011 at 2:17am
gwatts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gwatts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/Jun/2011 at 6:11am
andy t

Thank you for your response.

1 I dictate into multiple targets such as the address bar and Google in  Firefox, Chrome and in Windows Explorer, LibreOffice spreadsheet and writer, Microsoft Word and Excel 2002, WordPad, Notepad, as well as DragonPad and the dictation box. I am dictating into this message box now. Usually my dictation works pretty well in all of these but too often it is not transferred from the results box, where it is visible, into the target.

2 Why do you think I'm trying to switch to WSR? I have never used WSR (at least knowingly and just now I had to look it up to see what it is). Is there some way one can use this system without realizing it?

3 I don't understand your question about using Dragon and moving it into the preferred target unless you're referring to the dictation box.

4 I agree Word 2002 is pushing it.

I found this statement (below in quotation marks) regarding LibreOffice so I suppose MSAA is not used. Interestingly, I think dictation into LibreOffice works just about as well as it does into DragonPad or Microsoft Excell or Word. I don't know about MSAA and the other targets.

"UAA and JAA have some advantages over the off-screen models of AT tools or the Microsoft Active Accessibility API (MSAA). UAA and JAA provide extended information for the document content,"

Thank you.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/Jun/2011 at 10:49am

Thank you for your response.
2 Why do you think I'm trying to switch to WSR? I have never used WSR (at least knowingly and just now I had to look it up to see what it is). Is there some way one can use this system without realizing it?
I just assumed since this is a MSSpeech Forum dedicated to WSR you were using WSR.

For Navigation control, WSR works great. You can just say, "Show Numbers," and you will be able to select any button, link, etc. on the screen. If your OS is Vista or Windows 7 you can easily try this and dictation as There is no conflict between Dragon and WSR as long as the microphone is only in the On (Listening in WSR) state in one program at a time. Simply go to Control Panel, Speech Recognition and you should be up and running with 5 minutes.

WSR is free. In addition it's accuracy is darn good. There is an add-on called WSRMacros which allows scripting control like Dragon's Professional versions. eMicrophones WSRToolkit V2 adds many of the features you come to see in Dragon (Accuracy Tuning, Digital Transcription of .WAV files, etc.) in addition to an easy to use Macro creation wizard.

Marty
andy t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/Jun/2011 at 4:42pm

gwatts

Quote 1 I dictate into multiple targets such as the address bar and Google in Firefox, Chromf before Microsoft Office the for Microsoft word e and in Windows Explorer, LibreOffice spreadsheet and writer, Microsoft Word and Excel 2002, WordPad, Notepad, as well as DragonPad and the dictation box. I am dictating into this message box now. Usually my dictation works pretty well in all of these but too often it is not transferred from the results box, where it is visible, into the target.

I use DNS 11 Professional. 

If I want to dictate into the address bar I simply say "Go to address bar" and then change to spell mode.  I find this much easier because there are normally special characters when spelling out a website address.  I'm not 100% sure but I believe you can dictate into Google but there may be limitations.  Regarding that, Firefox and Chrome, you can check out if there are commands for these in the Dragon Command Browser and also the limitations of dictation for them.

I'm not sure with LibreOffice spreadsheet and writer because I've never heard of it or used it. 

Microsoft Word 2007, I have never normally had a problem dictating into here with DNS.  The only problem I have ever had regarding dictation in Word using DNS is when I have lost the "NatSpeak" add-in and then dictation will not work within Word at all.  You then, have to physically re-enable the add-in from within "Word Options" within a Word document when this happens.  As I have said, it may be time to ditch your Word 2002 and upgrade.

I know it works in Excel 2007 and 2010.  Once again, Excel 2002 sounds outdated so

it may be time to upgrade :-).

I know it works 100% in WordPad, Notepad and DragonPad very accurately.  I have used the dictation box before but I have found it to be a bit flaky and unreliable.  I acquired a well-known piece of software to complement DNS.  With this additional software, if I dictate into Word for example before I transfer into a website reply such as this one or any other, I can say things like "Copy/Cut all to other Window."  Microsoft Word will then minimise and all the wording from Word will transfer automatically to the website reply window in question.

Quote the dictation is visible in the results box but is either significantly delayed or will not move into the target or execute the command.

This is a well-known latency problem within Dragon and using Vista does not help. 

Dragon is a well-known resource hog and therefore I believe you would need at least 4 GB (possibly more) and extra cachet for your computer to be able to combat this problem completely.

It is also well-known that Vista is old hat now and a pain in the a** if you want the truth.  It may pay you to upgrade to Windows 7.  This will at least give you a chance with the problems you are having.

Seeing as this is generally a Windows Speech Recognition website and not a DNS website, it may pay you to visit a well-known DNS website under the heading forum "NaturallySpeaking" for questions on DNS and especially the one that you pose.

I know for a fact that another reason that can cause the latency problem you are experiencing in the results box of DNS are dead links on your computer.

You can get rid of them here:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-find-and-delete-dead-links-on-your-computer-automatically/

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shman.html

http://www.watchingthenet.com/find-and-fix-broken-shortcuts-in-windows-xp-vista.html 

(Same as the one above but with more information from Microsoft)

Quote 2 Why do you think I'm trying to switch to WSR? I have never used WSR (at least knowingly and just now I had to look it up to see what it is). Is there some way one can use this system without realizing it?

As Marty and because this is a Windows Speech Recognition website, I just assumed you were using this.  Windows Speech Recognition or WSR for short is an alternative application to DNS.  It is free with every version of Windows Vista and 7 as far as I am aware.

As Marty pointed out, there are advantages and disadvantages with this application over DNS.  That is why I use both and get the best of both worlds out of each speech app.

Once again, WSR is much more stable under Windows 7 than in Vista.  My advice once again would be for you to upgrade to Windows 7 as soon as you can and you will see what I mean.  Once trained, WSR is fairly accurate but to be honest, not as accurate as DNS using dictation.  I find however, the command side much faster in WSR in certain circumstances.  There is also the advantage of the "ShowNumbers" command within WSR as Marty has mentioned.

Together with the WSR macros program and profile tool, it is totally free along with all the advice you get as well.  You may be interested and if you are, it may be in your interest to look at an overview on how it works.  Here is a link below on that subject.

http://www.microsoft.com/enable/products/windowsvista/speech.aspx

I hope this helps you and makes more sense now ;-).

andy t

Edited by andy t - 12/Jun/2011 at 4:53pm
gwatts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gwatts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/Jun/2011 at 6:21am
andy t

I appreciate the detailed response. It is most helpful.
Thank you.

G
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic