MSSpeech-Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows™ Speech Recognition Forums > New Users & General Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Using MSR in the workplace

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hutcsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Using MSR in the workplace
    Posted: 10/May/2011 at 7:00pm
Hi,

I am not speaking on behalf of my employer, however I am testing the difference between DNS11 and MSR for futures uses of speech recognition in the department.  Having recently used DNS9.5 I am really surprised at how good MSR is in comparison.  Thank you very much for such a good product.

We employ approximately 3000 people, with 63 people identified using speech recognition software daily.

Is there a possibility to doget a licence deal on WSRToolkit for so many people?
Secondly, is it likely that people's current microphones will be quite acceptable without having to change to the recommended microphone?

Thank you very much forums, tool kit, software, and information which I have read and found to be very helpful.

Warm regards, Sam
mmarkoe_admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/May/2011 at 8:05pm

Originally posted by hutcsa hutcsa wrote:

IHaving recently used DNS9.5 I am really surprised at how good MSR is in comparison.
Yes, WSR (Windows Speech Recognition) is quite good. Using the WSRToolkit adds much of the functionality found in Dragon NaturallySpeaking.

Quote Is there a possibility to doget a licence deal on WSRToolkit for so many people?
Our MyMSSpeech.com website dedicated to products for WSR has a button that says, Contact Us. This is a good way to send a message with a request such as this. There should be a Contact Us button on this forum and I will see if we can get that installed thanks to your request for information.

Quote Secondly, is it likely that people's current microphones will be quite acceptable without having to change to the recommended microphone?
An inexpensive microphone used in a quiet environment for basic correspondence like E-mail should work fine if the sound card is good. Best accuracy (even in quiet environments) comes from a good noise canceling microphone tested to work with speech recognition software. USB sound pods like the Andrea, Buddy or VXI are designed for the frequency range of the human voice and not music. These USB sound cards bypass electronic noise within the computer enclosure and assure the best audio input from a good microphone.

Here is a way to think of accuracy. Say microphone A allows you to get 97% accuracy and microphone B, a good noise canceling unit, gets 99% accuracy. If you are only dictating a few E-mail a day the less expensive microphone is adequate. If a person dictates 5000 words a day, the better microphone means 100 fewer corrections to fix (2% of 5000 = 100). If each correction takes 15 seconds, that comes out to 1500 seconds a day, 25 minutes a day, about 2 hours a week saved by a better microphone.

Other factors to consider besides accuracy and noise canceling:
  • Style of Headset microphone:
    • headsets can go over the head
    • behind the head
    • over an ear
    • headsets can have a single earphone, 2 earphones or no earphone
  • Comfort of a headset over the course of the day. Comfort and usability are one of the most important things we test for.
  • Reliability/Ruggedness. Most users are careful and our microphones last for years. Carelessness? See item below on warranty.
  • Manufacturer's attention to warranty issues (must be easy and fast)
  • Alternate Microphone types:
    • Handheld
    • Desktop mounted on a stand for handsfree use.*
    • Wireless (different from Bluetooth which is not compatible with WSR)

As you can see there are many factors involved in selecting a microphone. Be advised, the best microphones in terms of accuracy and noise canceling are one's where the microphone is kept close to one's mouth. This is because the audio pickup signal does not have to be so strong as a microphone that sits 6" away. A stronger signal will also pickup unwanted background noises which distort the audio signal.

On MyMSSpeech.com you can not only read about, but see short informational videos that show how to use and wear our microphones.

Marty Markoe, eMicrophones, Inc.

Edited by mmarkoe_admin - 11/May/2011 at 6:29am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic