MSSpeech-Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows™ Speech Recognition Forums > New Users & General Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

multi-key input in WSR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: multi-key input in WSR
    Posted: 26/Apr/2011 at 1:14pm
In the stock version of WSR is there any way to enter a keyboard combination like "ctrl+1+2"

I use the speed dial add-in for FF and you can assign key commands to different websites. But if I say press "ctrl-1-2" the computer responds as if I have said press "ctrl-1".

If this can't be done with the stock version, is there a way to do it using the WSR Toolkit?

TIA
mmarkoe_admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/Apr/2011 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by kingsinger kingsinger wrote:

In the stock version of WSR is there any way to enter a keyboard combination like "ctrl+1+2". If this can't be done with the stock version, is there a way to do it using the WSR Toolkit?
WSRMacros is the macro add in for WSR. The WSRToolkit v2 makes it easy to program macros such as yours by using the Macro Wizard. I just created the ctrl+1+2 macro in about 15 seconds Using the WSRToolkit Create a Shortcut, and Simulate Key Presses. Windows Speech Recognition Macros must be loaded for this to execute.  The trigger word is, "Control one two." See macro below my name.

Marty Markoe, eMicrophones, Inc.
Microsoft MVP

<!-- Command macro created with WSRToolkit (Version: 2.0.4.0) 4/26/2011 2:37:02 PM -->
<speechMacros>
<command>
<appIsInForeground processName =""/>
<listenFor>Control one two</listenFor>
<sendKeys>{{CTRL}}1</sendKeys>
<sendKeys>{{CTRL}}2</sendKeys>
</command>
kingsinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/Apr/2011 at 9:22pm
That macro doesn't seem to be accomplishing what I need. Are you sure it isn't doing ctrl 1 and then ctrl 2, rather than holding down the ctrl key for the duration of pressing both 1 and 2?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/Apr/2011 at 9:25pm
If you have firefox installed on your computer, try installing the speed dial add-in. Assign a speed dial where the keyboard shortcut combo is over the number 10 (e.g., 12). Maybe I'm doing something wrong as far as installing the macro, or something. But it may also be easier to see what I'm dealing with if you are interested in trying out the add-in a little bit (it's a favorite of mine and one of the main things keeping me in FF, even though it is a bloated memory hog).
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/Apr/2011 at 8:27am

That macro doesn't seem to be accomplishing what I need. Are you sure it isn't doing ctrl 1 and then ctrl 2, rather than holding down the ctrl key for the duration of pressing both 1 and 2?
We have no way for testing as we do not use Firefox.

Try using a wait command between the "Control" lines. Start with:
<waitFor seconds=".25"/>

Marty
russ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/Apr/2011 at 3:26pm
kingslinger,

In your use here, the WSR sendKeys statement will only work for the first nine sites; once you get into double-digit keyboard shortcuts, the sendKeys statement no longer works.

If you really want to get double-digit keyboard shortcuts to work in WSR, it might be possible by embedding VBScript code into a macro. You could ask about here to see if someone has already done it: 

Also, instead of using the speed dial add-on, you could also create individual macros that open your favorite web sites. Something like this:

<command>
<listenFor>go to Yahoo Sports</listenFor>
<run command="firefox.exe" params=http://sports.yahoo.com/>
</command>
Good luck!

-Russ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/Apr/2011 at 3:59pm
Yes, that's what I learned. I found a macro on the WSR Yahoo group that does kind of what you are talking about. When you get to a site where you want to add a voice command for it, you say "add website to file," then it prompts you to give it name. Once that is set, you can just say "browse to [shortcut name] and it will take you there. Pretty slick.

I think the macro is called "browse to." Seems to work in both IE9 and FF4 too.

One other question a little off the topic. If I'm using the stock WSR macro tool and I create a text macro. Is there any way to insert carriage returns in there?

For example, let say I to insert two carriage returns and then some text (e.g., a signature block)?

I was able to make this work with the sendkeys type of macro by going {ENTER} {ENTER} KS. But if you had something longer, the text entry field offered is not very large and doesn't really seem designed for that.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/Apr/2011 at 7:43pm

If I'm using the stock WSR macro tool and I create a text macro. Is there any way to insert carriage returns in there?

For example, let say I to insert two carriage returns and then some text (e.g., a signature block)?

I was able to make this work with the sendkeys type of macro by going {ENTER} {ENTER} KS. But if you had something longer, the text entry field offered is not very large and doesn't really seem designed for that.
As you are getting involved more deeply into customizing commands, you will benefit from writing scripts rather than using the text macro tool. See, "WSRMacros: The User’s Guide."

Marty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/Apr/2011 at 8:23pm
I have no doubt that the resources you sell are worthwhile.

But right now, I'm just trying to get a few basics cleared up, so I can decide whether it makes sense for me to invest further into learning about this stuff.

Inserting carriage returns in a piece of text boilerplate, seems like it ought to be relatively straight forward and possible without additional add-ons, etc. Am I wrong in that assumption?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/Apr/2011 at 9:50pm

I have no doubt that the resources you sell are worthwhile.
Still waiting to become a millionaire selling $10.00 book and $25.00 software.

Quote Inserting carriage returns in a piece of text boilerplate, seems like it ought to be relatively straight forward and possible without additional add-ons, etc. Am I wrong in that assumption?
No problem with the WSRToolkit Macro creation tools.

Marty
russ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/Apr/2011 at 12:11pm

kingsinger,

It appears that LEADING return characters are not supported by the WSR Macros insertText command. But any returns that are entered between paragraphs are inserted properly. That's a problem with WSR Macros (Microsoft) not the WSR Toolkit.

You can directly edit the macros that the WSR Toolkit creates. They are located in the "Speech Macros" folder inside your user folder. I would suggest you open the file in Notepad, change the insertText commands to sendKeys, and use the {ENTER} technique you described previously to add more precise line returns.

The WSR Macros book that Marty sells is the best source of WSR Macros information that I have seen.

-Russ

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic