MSSpeech-Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows™ Speech Recognition Forums > New Users & General Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WSR borked

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bipolarbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WSR borked
    Posted: 25/Mar/2011 at 7:00pm

No clue what happened but suddenly today the thing is completely borked. Here's some of the symptoms. If I try to set up a microphone, despite the fact that the green indicator moves with my speech, the setup wizard repeatedly says it can't hear anything.  When I attempt to dictate, the blue LED again moves with my voice, but nothing is dictated until I shut wsr, and what is indicated is completely incorrect.  It doesn't respond to deletion requests, but instead gets those wrong as well.

Doesn't matter which program I use to dictate into.  When I attempt training, I start speaking and then the facility closes down on me and says training is finished.  I've made no changes to my system.  As a matter of fact it was working fine earlier today, then I went away from the computer for 2 hours came back and it was in this condition.
bipolarbear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bipolarbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/Mar/2011 at 7:18pm
OK I think I've narrowed it down. It's not a software issue because if I setup WSR to use my wireless Plantronics headset, which uses its own USB Sound card, it works fine. So the issue is with the internal high definition audio or perhaps a break in the cable plugged into my Sennheiser. The indicators are showing movement even when the the Sennheiser is shut off, which clearly should not be.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bipolarbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/Mar/2011 at 7:26pm
OK that clinches it. No sound currently coming from my Sennheiser at all. So either the cable is shot or my internal sound card, which doesn't seem likely since it's actually part of the motherboard.
mmarkoe_admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/Mar/2011 at 7:35am
Originally posted by bipolarbear bipolarbear wrote:

OK that clinches it. No sound currently coming from my Sennheiser at all. So either the cable is shot or my internal sound card, which doesn't seem likely since it's actually part of the motherboard.
Sennheiser microphones are warranted for 2 years. If it is an ME3 purchased from eMicrophones you must indicate it is an ME3-VR and must be replaced with same.

If you are using a Sennheiser handheld, you can just replace the cable.

Marty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bipolarbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/Mar/2011 at 9:35am
Thanks, but it's definitely not the microphone. I tried with my old one as well as a shure SM 57, and it's the same. So it's either the cable or some internal problem, perhaps even some dirt or pitting in the socket, the 1/8 inch jack in the back of the machine. I'm going to troubleshoot today.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/Mar/2011 at 10:33am

Thanks, but it's definitely not the microphone. I tried with my old one as well as a shure SM 57, and it's the same. So it's either the cable or some internal problem, perhaps even some dirt or pitting in the socket, the 1/8 inch jack in the back of the machine. I'm going to troubleshoot today.
Shorted cables are the most likely culprit.

Marty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bipolarbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/Mar/2011 at 10:48am
Now it's working again. I hate technology. It's evil.
russ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/Mar/2011 at 12:07pm
Bibolarbear, are you using a computer that has a built-in microphone? If so, it might be picking up sound instead of or in addition to your Sennheiser microphone. Try going into the Sound control panel and disabling every recording device except for your Sennheiser.

Good luck!

-Russ
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/Mar/2011 at 4:33pm

Now it's working again. I hate technology. It's evil.
My guess is you rebooted to get it to work?

Marty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bipolarbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/Mar/2011 at 7:46pm
Yeah but I tried that yesterday also. No, no internal MIC, but I do have two others loaded, each with its own sound card. Both of those are USB and the Sennheiser is plugged into the 3.5 MM, using the onboard sound . All three are selectable in various screens via drop down.
Only thing I can think of is maybe my printer was interfering somehow. It was plugged in via USB yesterday and today it isn't. Normally it's not plugged in unless I'm using it. I've kind of run out of USB ports.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic