MSSpeech-Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows™ Speech Recognition Forums > New Users & General Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ANC 750 and USB-SA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ANC 750 and USB-SA
    Posted: 22/Feb/2011 at 8:06am
[system: Dell Inspiron 530, Pentium E2200 2.4 GHz, 4 G RAM]
Hi, I hope this question makes sense. I usually do WSR with input via an Andrea Supermax array and no output monitoring. But sometimes (as when I need to hear pronunciation of new words or when I'm listening to something else), I'll plug an ANC-750 into the USB card's output jack. This generally seems to work OK. But I'm wondering, Does plugging and unplugging the headset output jack reduce the SR accuracy? It sometimes seems to, but I can't be sure. I have found, though, that if I unplug & replug the sound card itself, the SR takes a while to  come up to snuff. Would changing the output have the same effect? - ed
mmarkoe_admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/Feb/2011 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by ed ed wrote:

But I'm wondering, Does plugging and unplugging the headset output jack reduce the SR accuracy? It sometimes seems to, but I can't be sure. I have found, though, that if I unplug & replug the sound card itself, the SR takes a while to  come up to snuff. Would changing the output have the same effect? - ed
WSR has a problem holding the audio levels. That is why we built into the WSRToolkit the Tune Microphone feature.

Also, the microphones you are using use completely different technology. The Superbeam which we consider an inferior microphone to the ANC-750, has a stronger pickup signal because it is further from your mouth. You require 2 different volume level settings if you are going to use each. Try running Setup microphone for each. As mentioned, the settings may fluctuate due to a fault in Windows Audio.

Marty
ed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/Feb/2011 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by mmarkoe_admin mmarkoe_admin wrote:

But I'm wondering, Does plugging and unplugging the headset output jack reduce the SR accuracy? It sometimes seems to, but I can't be sure. I have found, though, that if I unplug & replug the sound card itself, the SR takes a while to  come up to snuff. Would changing the output have the same effect? - ed
WSR has a problem holding the audio levels. That is why we built into the WSRToolkit the Tune Microphone feature.

Also, the microphones you are using use completely different technology. The Superbeam which we consider an inferior microphone to the ANC-750, has a stronger pickup signal because it is further from your mouth. You require 2 different volume level settings if you are going to use each. Try running Setup microphone for each. As mentioned, the settings may fluctuate due to a fault in Windows Audio.

Marty
Thanks or the reply. I've not used any other SR than WSR, and never thought the audio levels to be a problem. Tunig the mics as you suggest works fine for me.

Your comment about the Superbeam is interesting. With training I've found it really accurate (again I don't have much experience with different rigs). I usually use it 'cause my place is generally quiet & I like not beeing encumbered by cables. But once in a while I'll plug the ANC-750 headphones (not the mic) into the USB-SA. I was just wondering if putting that load on the output of the USB-SA could have an effect on the input. It probably doesn't, but I'm curious, since changing the *input* (the mic) clearly does degrade the performance of a profile. I also recall noticing that with the ANC-750 diving the WSR through  the mainboard audio (rather than through the USB-750) the recognition got degraded every time I unplugged the mic. Maybe that was before the WSR had been sufficiently trained. In any case, WSR is certainly cranky at first. After running for a long time, it's certainly much better. - ed
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/Feb/2011 at 6:15am

Quote comment about the Superbeam is interesting. With training I've found it really accurate

Perform simple test. Run Setup Microphone with Superbeam and read a paragraph of at least 100 words. Repeat with ANC-750 and compare the number of errors.

Quote I was just wondering if putting that load on the output of the USB-SA could have an effect on the input. It probably doesn't, but I'm curious, since changing the *input* (the mic) clearly does degrade the performance of a profile.

There is no “load” factor on an ADC (Analog Digital Converter = Sound Card = USB pod). They simply convert analog speech to digital bits and bytes the computer understands. You can simply create a separate profile for each microphone. I frankly just adjust audio settings and use the same user profile.

Quote I also recall noticing that with the ANC-750 diving the WSR through  the mainboard audio (rather than through the USB-750) the recognition got degraded every time I unplugged the mic.

The reason we sell USB sound pods is onboard sound cards are often unshielded or poorly shielded. These will pickup electronic noise from within the computer and distort the audio signal.

Marty Markoe, eMicrophones, Inc.

Microsoft MVP

ed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/Feb/2011 at 8:15am
Thanks for the help, Marty. I think my posts complicated a simple question. Being confused by the mention of "adapters" on the Andrea website, I was concerned that the ANC-750 might not be compatible with the USB-SA. Evidently it is, and all's well. - ed
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/Feb/2011 at 10:41am

Thanks for the help, Marty. I think my posts complicated a simple question. Being confused by the mention of "adapters" on the Andrea website, I was concerned that the ANC-750 might not be compatible with the USB-SA. Evidently it is, and all's well. - ed
OK, the simple factor. I can live with that. Smile

Yes, USB-SA, commonly known as a USB sound pod, will work with every analog input SR microphone we know of.

Marty
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic