MSSpeech-Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows™ Speech Recognition Forums > New Users & General Questions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - WSR's on/off button on sound meter in Windows 7
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WSR's on/off button on sound meter in Windows 7

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WSR's on/off button on sound meter in Windows 7
    Posted: 22/Dec/2010 at 2:17pm

I don't know if this is meant to happen and it is new in Windows 7 or it is me!

When WSR loads up (I have WSR to load up automatically) I have noticed that if the sound meter is left inactive and it's not awaken from its "sleep" state for a certain length of time , it will turn itself off automatically.

Is this the case? If so, is there a setting somewhere to adjust the amount of time before it switches off?

If I am barking up a completely random tree, then I do apologise.

Cheers

andy t

mmarkoe_admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/Dec/2010 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by andy t andy t wrote:

When WSR loads up (I have WSR to load up automatically) I have noticed that if the sound meter is left inactive and it's not awaken from its "sleep" state for a certain length of time , it will turn itself off automatically.
After reading this 1/2 hour ago, I put the microphone into Sleeping mode and walked away. It was still sleeping upon my return. This is my home Vista workstation. Will try this tomorrow on Windows 7 workstation at the office.

Marty
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/Dec/2010 at 10:45am
Originally posted by andy t andy t wrote:

Yesterday Matthew and I went to the office for end of the year Inventory. I left the Speech Bar on my Windows 7 workstation on for 4 hours straight in Sleeping mode. It never turned to Listening or Off mode.

If it turned from Sleeping to Listening mode for you, I would suspect the microphone was picking up stray noise. However, the only way to turn the microphone state in the Speech Bar to Off from Sleeping is either to use the mouse or the keyboard combination Control + Windows (Start) button. Pretty perplexing. Let us know if you figure this out?

Merry and Happy to all.

Marty
andy t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/Dec/2010 at 2:45am

Yep. It still does it and it seems like it goes from the sleeping state to off when inactive for a period of time.

Is this just me? I will have to try and Google it and see what comes up.

Thanks anyway and a Merry Christmas to everybody.

andy t

Sixwheels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sixwheels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/Apr/2011 at 1:43pm
I've noticed this happening on my machine, and I equate it with persistent sound in the area. For instance, my computer and my television are in the same room; when the television is off, speech recognition will sleep forever with no problems whatsoever. But, if the television is on, after a certain amount of time, speech recognition will shut off. This never happened with Windows Vista, so it must be something new with Windows 7. :-)
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/Apr/2011 at 9:56am
Originally posted by Sixwheels Sixwheels wrote:

I've noticed this happening on my machine, and I equate it with persistent sound in the area. For instance, my computer and my television are in the same room; when the television is off, speech recognition will sleep forever with no problems whatsoever. But, if the television is on, after a certain amount of time, speech recognition will shut off. This never happened with Windows Vista, so it must be something new with Windows 7. :-)
I believe we have pointed out to you as well as in other threads in this forum, the Windows 7 audio subsystem does not handle volume consistently. This is why we included a Tune Microphone feature in the WSRToolkit.

You should not have this problem, see our posting above dated December 25, 2010. Here are the factors that will not allow this to happen:
  1. Use a good background noise canceling microphone.
  2. Make the audio adjustment for close to the mouth.
  3. Your audio is adjusted correctly when you see only one or two bars in the volume meter as you speak.

We do understand due to disabilities some people cannot use the microphone close to their mouth. This means the audio has to have a stronger setup signal in order to be able to pick you up at a further some distance. Thus, with a stronger audio pickup, you are bound to pick up stray noise even with a good microphone. There's no getting around this as this is bound to the laws of physics.

Marty Markoe, eMicrophones, Inc.
Microsoft MVP
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic