MSSpeech-Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows™ Speech Recognition Forums > New Users & General Questions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How do I get MSSpeech to start typing what I say
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How do I get MSSpeech to start typing what I say

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joannekarma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do I get MSSpeech to start typing what I say
    Posted: 05/Oct/2010 at 9:32am
I have opened several documents and several different programs and while MSSpeech will switch between programs OK it just won't start typing when I want it to.

Does MSSpeech only work with MS products?  I can understand (though dislike) why this might be but... I wanted to use it just now to type this question and... when I started speaking (having put the cursor in this window) I just got the "what was that" message.

I must be being horribly slow.. even though I did use the Tutorial but.. I just can't seem to see what I have to do to get words appearing after I have placed my cursor on the correct spot of my screen for words to appear (ie chat windows, OpenOffice document etc)!!!

HELP!!!
mmarkoe_admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/Oct/2010 at 10:35pm
[QUOTE=joannekarma]I must be being horribly slow.. even though I did use the Tutorial but.. I just can't seem to see what I have to do to get words appearing after I have placed my cursor on the correct spot of my screen for words to appear (ie chat windows, OpenOffice document etc)!!!/QUOTE]
Are you using WSR (Windows Speech Recognition) in Vista or Windows 7? You say you are using MSSpeech. This is the older version for Windows XP and Word.

WSR works in software that is TST (Text Services Framework) compatible. Many Chat programs and Open Office are not compatible.

If you are using WSR in Windows 7, you can enable the Scratchpad to open when a Window is not TSF compliant. Dictate and correct in the Scratchpad and when finished say, "insert," and the text will go into the non compliant window.

To enable the Scratchpad in Windows 7, right click the microphone icon in the Speech Bar. Select Options and put checkmard next to Enable dictation scratchpad.

Marty
joannekarma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joannekarma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/Oct/2010 at 4:07am
Hi Marty

Thank you for your reply.

It would appear that my laptop is configured rather oddly as it is Vista 32-bit and Windows 6.  The speech recognition software that was pre-installed tells me that it is "Microsoft Speech Recognizer 8.0 for Windows (English - UK)"!!

Please would you tell me what I need to do to optimise my system (without incurring costs - I have parkinson's and am on disability so there is no spare cash to buy software!) ?  Using the scratchpad you mention sounds an excellent idea!!

:-)

joannekarma
mmarkoe_admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/Oct/2010 at 11:04am

Joanne,

Quote I wanted to use it just now to type this question and... when I started speaking (having put the cursor in this window) I just got the "what was that" message.
I just reread your first question. I am dictating this into the message box without a problem and have been dictating into this message box with WSR for four years, including the ability to make corrections. I find this perplexing because I cannot think of any reason, hardware or software this should not work. Also, there's no difference in UK English that should not let it work.

By any chance are you using a substandard microphone? By this, I mean either a microphone built into a notebook computer, microphone built into a web cam, or a consumer grade microphone found at typical electronics stores?

The WorkStation I am using now is 32 bit Vista Business Edition with the speech recognizer 8.0. I do not believe your notebook configuration is atypical.

Unfortunately, I believe the scratchpad it is only available Windows 7. You may want to take a look at the WSRToolkit, $19.99. It will not help with the problem you are having, which is frankly perplexing to me as why WSR should not work in this window as it does for me. However, there are many other functions that may make life easier for you including the ability to easily create macros to create blocks of text, issue commands, or move around applications. Just click on the link to see all of the functions.

Marty
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic