MSSpeech-Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows™ Speech Recognition Forums > New Users & General Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Problems with WSR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpurington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problems with WSR
    Posted: 18/Aug/2010 at 12:58pm

August 18, 2010 and

I have been using successive versions of Dragon speech-recognition programs since 1995, so I’m not a beginner at talking to my computer. Earlier this year I decided that it was time to upgrade, and it seemed sensible to explore WSR since it’s free. Online postings indicated that the program would be very usable for someone with disabilities who needs virtually hands-free computing. I understood that I would have to create almost all of my own commands, but I expected dictation to be effective.

Now, after several weeks of using WSR, , I’m very frustrated and baffled. How can your reviews be so favorable and my experience be so terrible? Do I have a defective copy? Can it be a microphone problem?

You

Carol

Failings of WSR

Frequently, for no obvious reason, it stops responding to anything I say. Often the only way I can get the system to start responding again is to switch, by trackball, to another file or program for a minute or two.

Crucial commands like “what can I say,” “go to”, “press [key],” “click [?],” and “show numbers” work sometimes, but far from reliably. Very often when the numbers do show up and I speak the number I want, nothing happens.

Sometimes when I speak a command or dictation, the little box at the extreme upper left hand corner, near File, opens instead. Then nothing will work for a while and I have to click around randomly until the system starts listening again.

Dictating a number by saying “numeral [?]” works less than half the time.

Saying “caps” at the beginning of a word, to capitalize it, seldom works. And

mmarkoe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/Aug/2010 at 9:57pm

Originally posted by cpurington cpurington wrote:

Online postings indicated that the program would be very usable for someone with disabilities who needs virtually hands-free computing. I understood that I would have to create almost all of my own commands, but I expected dictation to be effective.

The program works quite well, almost hands free. Are you familiar with the Show Numbers feature? Try saying that on any screen. 

Windows Speech Recognition Macros are available as a download from the Microsoft web site. However, is probably easier to use the WSRToolkit to create command, text, and navigation macros.

Quote Now, after several weeks of using WSR, , I’m very frustrated and baffled. How can your reviews be so favorable and my experience be so terrible? Do I have a defective copy? Can it be a microphone problem?

Having a good microphone and audio sound card (or USB sound pod) is critical to receive high accuracy. What are you using?

Quote Frequently, for no obvious reason, it stops responding to anything I say. Often the only way I can get the system to start responding again is to switch, by trackball, to another file or program for a minute or two.lick around randomly until the system starts listening again. Dictating a number by saying “numeral [?]” works less than half the time. Saying “caps” at the beginning of a word, to capitalize it, seldom works. And

A lot of the differences between dragon naturallyspeaking and windows speech recognition have to do with the pacing and pausing. I find I must speak much clearer, enunciating each word, with WSR.

I too find that I cannot capitalize a word before saying it. A Refund It Is Much Easier To Dictate A Sentence or two and then say, "Capitalize sentence," as I just did. It also helps to say the word within the context of the word and without stopping all pausing. I constantly say, "Windows numeral 7" and it comes out Windows 7.

Two other thoughts. First of all assuming you have a good microphone and sound pod try creating a new user profile and training it carefully with good enunciation. The other issue has to do with the audio subsystem in Windows 7. It constantly puts the microphone volume to maximum 100. In our WSRToolkit, we spent a lot of time (translate that to money) to add a Tune Microphone feature.

Let us know if any of this helps?

Marty
Marty Markoe, MVP
Microsoft Valued Partner
See us at: http://www.mymsspeech.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic