MSSpeech-Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows™ Speech Recognition Forums > WSRToolkit
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adding many words

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asegal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adding many words
    Posted: 28/Jul/2010 at 1:20pm
Perhaps I misunderstood how WSRToolkit works, but i was hoping there would be a quick way to add a lengthy list of words to the dictionary.
I pasted a list of approximately 200 medical words into the application (one on each line).
But now, the standard WSR "add word" dialog pops up one word at a time, requiring a sequence of roughly 3-4 windows for each word.
Realizing this was not going to work, I closed down WSRToolKit, but windows 7 continues to bombard me with Speech Dictionary :: Add Word dialogs

I think I will have to log off from or shut down windows to abort this.

The reason I purchased this application was specifically to import a list into the dictionary.

If this is the best it can do, then I'm not sure I'm any better off.

Could somebody explain if there is a way to truly import, en masse, a list of new words into the dictionary?

For reference: Windows 7 (32-bit)
-Aaron
mmarkoe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/Jul/2010 at 2:27pm
You should add documents. This improves the recognition of words as it adds the context within which those words are used.
Marty
Marty Markoe, MVP
Microsoft Valued Partner
See us at: http://www.mymsspeech.com
asegal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asegal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/Jul/2010 at 3:22pm
Adding documents not only adds words to the dictionary, but also accounts for contextual patterns.
Right now, my medical vocabulary list is literally just an alphabetized word list (each on a separate line).
Presumably, using this file would still add vocabulary, but might hinder the context prediction algorithms.
I'll try it and see what happens.
Still, what would be wonderful (and what I was expecting) is the ability to simply add a large batch of words to the dictionary in a hands-off fashion.
Maybe that's something you could add to the development list.

-Aaron Segal, M.D.
mmarkoe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/Jul/2010 at 4:45pm
i'm out of the country until Friday. Will post back then.

Marty
Marty Markoe, MVP
Microsoft Valued Partner
mmarkoe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/Aug/2010 at 5:51am
Originally posted by asegal asegal wrote:

Presumably, using this file would still add vocabulary, but might hinder the context prediction algorithms.
The purpose of Add From File is to improve the statistical probability of words being recognized. It's purpose is not to add individual words. Adding words without their context is not how speech recognition software is designed to work. WSR (as well as Dragon etc.) first listen for the sound of each word. Then the word the software thinks it heard is compared to the words before and after for context clues. For example, you should be able to dictate and have WSR recognize:
"They're going to park their car over there."

Taking your typical documents/reports should add the words and their context. There is no need to over do it. Just add a representational list of documents. The more is not necessarily the merrier.

Take a typical report and dictate it. Next, add the report. Dictate it again. Did accuracy improve?

Marty Markoe
Microsoft MVP
Marty Markoe, MVP
Microsoft Valued Partner
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic