MSSpeech-Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows™ Speech Recognition Forums > New Users & General Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Strange recent occurrences!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strange recent occurrences!
    Posted: 27/Dec/2009 at 2:47pm

These strange phenomena have just started happening recently.  I do not know if the two are related.  Perhaps you could tell me why this has started happening and how I can put it right.

In WSR, when I say 'start typing', I can spell a word as I used to be able and then say 'space' and it will give me just that, ready to start typing the next word.  Just lately, when I say 'space' to put distance between the first word and the preceding one, instead of what it used to do which was to obey the command, it is now putting the letter 'o' in between each word instead of giving me the 'space' that I asked for.  It is only when I say 'stop typing', when I then say the word 'space', it will work.  This used to work naturally when in 'typing mode', now this strange occurrence happens.  Has anybody got any explanation for this?

Also just recently, when in a Web-based document such as replying to a post in a forum such as this one or even an e-mail and when I want to cut and paste something into the document, when I say the word 'paste', the document closes out altogether and disappears.  I then have to start again.  I cannot fathom out why it has just starting doing this, as this did not happen before.

Has anybody got any ideas on this problem and are the two related in some way?  What do you think I may have done to cause this?

Any answers would be appreciated thank you.

andy t

Edited by andy t - 30/Dec/2009 at 11:13am
andy t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/Dec/2009 at 2:22pm

Russ, are you out there?  Can you help me with this one?

andy t
mmarkoe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/Dec/2009 at 2:26pm
Andy,

I have some ideas but not the time now for the problem with the window closing when you say paste. Several people including myself have been having problems with command recognition. I believe I've tracked it to too high of an audio level. Try running Setup my microphone and see if it pegs your Recording Audio level to 100%. If it does, there is a registry hack I've been using that helps.

For the space problem, try saying "Spacebar," and let us know if that helps?

Marty
Marty Markoe, MVP
Microsoft Valued Partner
See us at: http://www.mymsspeech.com
andy t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/Jan/2010 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by mmarkoe mmarkoe wrote:

Andy,

I have some ideas but not the time now for the problem with the window closing when you say paste. Several people including myself have been having problems with command recognition. I believe I've tracked it to too high of an audio level. Try running Setup my microphone and see if it pegs your Recording Audio level to 100%. If it does, there is a registry hack I've been using that helps.

For the space problem, try saying "Spacebar," and let us know if that helps?

Marty

I must just let you know that I have Dragon and WSR up on the screen at the same time and I alternate between the two depending on which application that I want to use at the time. Are you actually saying that if my audio level is set to 100%, then this is too high and it needs to be altered to come down a bit?  Or, are you saying that it needs to be on 100% to work properly?  I am not quite clear on this.  I know with DNS, you need to have the audio setup a little lower, otherwise the voice meter tends to go into the red and words are not understood properly by the application.

I also tried saying ‘spacebar’ ’ instead of 'space’ and this did not help or work either and it still brings up 'o' everytime I say 'space'.  When I said the word 'spacebar', all different digits came up.  Bottomline is that it would not give me the space I require normally.

And when I say the word 'paste', say in  a reply to a forum post perhaps where I am pasting word content from Microsoft Word for example, as soon as I say that word, the application closes down.  It is as though it is interpreting the word 'paste' as 'close'.  This has just started happening recently, it never used to happen before.

Just another question for you Marty.  Did you say you had the same as I have?  In other words you have Dragon and WSR up on the screen at the same time and you alternate between the two depending on which one you want to use?  I copied a double macro that Russell give out to someone in the Know-brainer forums whereas if you say 'Enable Dragon', this will automatically wake up Dragon and put WSR in the 'off mode', or if you say 'Enable Windows Speech', this will automatically wake up WSR and put Dragon into the 'off mode' showing the red microphone laying down.

andy

Edited by andy t - 02/Jan/2010 at 1:31pm
mmarkoe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/Jan/2010 at 5:21pm

Andy,

Dragon seems to do a good job of adjusting the audio level despite what WSR does with it. On my office WorkStation I have Dragon NaturallySpeaking and WSR on the screen. I have not use them simultaneously in a couple of years. Mostly I just use WSR.

Russ’ double macro sounds very cool.

Check the audio level in WSR (right click the speaker icon in the lower right taskbar, select recording devices, double click the microphone you are using and check the levels tab).  Set the audio to 50%. Then run the audio setup wizard again and see if it pegs it to 100%. If it does, and you are uncomfortable making changes to the registry, I can send you a little program that will allow me to log onto your computer and make the changes. We would have to coordinate this time wise.

If changing the registry doesn’t work, I would recommend creating a new user profile on a new user account. This was Russ’ suggestion and I think it is a good one because WSR is just too good a itself adapting and making changes that are very often crap.

Marty

Marty Markoe, MVP
Microsoft Valued Partner
See us at: http://www.mymsspeech.com
andy t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/Jan/2010 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by andy t andy t wrote:

In WSR, when I say 'start typing', I can spell a word as I used to be able and then say 'space' and it will give me just that, ready to start typing the next word.  Just lately, when I say 'space' to put distance between the first word and the preceding one, instead of what it used to do which was to obey the command, it is now putting the letter 'o' in between each word instead of giving me the 'space' that I asked for.  It is only when I say 'stop typing', when I then say the word 'space', it will work.  This used to work naturally when in 'typing mode', now this strange occurrence happens.  Has anybody got any explanation for this?

It seems as Marty has suggested, I will need to make a complete new user file and redo the training and start again to completely, eradicate this problem.

For the time being, can I make a macro so that when I am in 'typing mode', if I say 'space', this macro will give me just that instead of giving me an 'o' as I have explained above in the quotation.  Could somebody show me how to write this macro.  This would only serve to be a workaround at the moment.  I understand that.

Also, it seems when I'm saying the word 'backspace' when in 'typing mode' , instead of just that it is giving me '\' instead.  Can you show me a macro that will give me a 'backspace' when in 'typing mode? 

Or is it because I am in 'typing mode' , this cannot be done and I have to settle for a new user profile?

andy t 

Edited by andy t - 08/Jan/2010 at 12:49pm
mmarkoe_admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/Jan/2010 at 1:47pm

Andy,

Did you make the registry changes? It sounds as if backspace is being interpreted as "backslash."

Making the registry changes for the volume and SNR have helped several people I've heard from with similar problems.

Marty
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic