MSSpeech-Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows™ Speech Recognition Forums > WSRToolkit
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wnidows 7

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJ_RWATC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wnidows 7
    Posted: 16/Nov/2009 at 4:31pm
Hi Guys,

I recntly purchased WSR Toolkit and what a very nice program which runs fine on my 32 bit win 7.

However, I use a program called London Control, which uses the WSR in win 7.  Does anyone know how I can stop windows speech from interferring with my application.  In other words, while I am running my program it works fine with speech, but now and then windows interprets what I say as a command and pops up windows, or start menus, or moves my display or even zooms in and out.

This is so frustrating as I have searched hi and lo and no luck yet.  I tried using macros to disable certain commands, and although the macros are there winodws seems to override them.

Any help would be appreciated, as there are many users of LC that have this problem.

JJ
RWATC

mmarkoe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/Nov/2009 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by JJ_RWATC JJ_RWATC wrote:

I recntly purchased WSR Toolkit and what a very nice program which runs fine on my 32 bit win 7.
Glad to hear this.

Quote However, I use a program called London Control, which uses the WSR in win 7.  Does anyone know how I can stop windows speech from interferring with my application.  In other words, while I am running my program it works fine with speech, but now and then windows interprets what I say as a command and pops up windows, or start menus, or moves my display or even zooms in and out.
Does this only happen in that one program called London Control? If it also happens and other programs, I have to suspect your microphone is picking up unwanted breath inhales and exhales or background noise. This is why having a good microphone is important and also when using a headset, keeping the microphone element or off to the corner of your mouth and not in front of it. One of the thing you can do, run the Setup my microphone wizard periodically.

Marty
Marty Markoe, MVP
Microsoft Valued Partner
See us at: http://www.mymsspeech.com
JJ_RWATC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJ_RWATC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/Nov/2009 at 8:17pm
Hi Marty,

Thanks for the prompt reply.
It seems to be happening in all programs as windows doesnt switch off the desktop commands. For example in word or notepad I can dictate perfectly but if I watch the WSR display commands do appeaer sporadically as windows 7 doesnt seem to switch off any commands.  Sadly commands like page up/down or move left right are assigned as keyboard items in my London Control software.  Also one phrase such as "start descent" is recognised by windows WSR as Start, so my start menu opens. My dictation and normal windows commands are almost 100% accurate so I think my microphone setup is good.

I just need to stop windows WSR reacting when I am in a specific application.  I dont know if its possible, but hope there is a fix or work around.  I have tried putting the words in the dictionary to ignore and that works, but the trouble is that the keys in my application are also disabled.

I am sure that eventually the programmers of LC will find a way, but how long that will be is anyones guess. So a temporary fix would be nice.

Regards
JJ

mmarkoe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/Nov/2009 at 8:34pm

I just need to stop windows WSR reacting when I am in a specific application.  I dont know if its possible, but hope there is a fix or work around.  I have tried putting the words in the dictionary to ignore and that works, but the trouble is that the keys in my application are also disabled.
Can't have your cake and eat it too.

Marty
Marty Markoe, MVP
Microsoft Valued Partner
russ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/Nov/2009 at 10:59am
JJ, what kind of microphone are using?
-Russ
JJ_RWATC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJ_RWATC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/Nov/2009 at 2:03pm
Hi Russ, thanks for your reply and the suggestion regarding the macro priority.

I have tried several of my headsets.  A plantronics USB (the dearest and the worst) an HS600 which has noise cancelling etc, and that works fine. I also tried a cheapy one and stragely enoug it gives me the best results but is so uncomfortable to use it makes my ears sore.

If I am alone and in quiet I get 100 percent efficiency with the HS600, this is the ideal situation. However, I raely get that chance and even a window bang or the TV in another room can screw me. I have tried keeping the microphone very low but then it doesnt want to know. The stupid part is that when I am using windows progs, like note pad, word or browsing, its always perfect even with background noise, so I think maybe the macro using high priority to sotp windows reacting maybe the way to go.

I will let you all know if I succeed.

Thanks
JJ

mmarkoe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/Nov/2009 at 3:29pm

If I am alone and in quiet I get 100 percent efficiency with the HS600, this is the ideal situation. However, I raely get that chance and even a window bang or the TV in another room can screw me. I have tried keeping the microphone very low but then it doesnt want to know.
In the first response to you I wrote:
"I have to suspect your microphone is picking up unwanted breath inhales and exhales or background noise."

Please do not take this the wrong way, but I believe you are in a state of denial. We've only been using and supporting speech recognition for 16 years. The first system we used was the IBM personal dictation system. This SR software worked not with continuous speech, but discrete speech. We quickly learned the value of having a high quality microphone.

A good microphone designed for speech recognition is likely to solve a lot of your problems. When we say designed for speech recognition, it means it should be either active or passive noise canceling, and should work best in the frequency range of the human voice. Unfortunately, your Creative Labs microphone and the Plantronics microphones say they are noise canceling but they are not.

Marty
Marty Markoe, MVP
Microsoft Valued Partner
JJ_RWATC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJ_RWATC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/Nov/2009 at 3:51pm
Ok, point taken

Thanks for the help. I know what I need for Xmas now

JJ

Edited by JJ_RWATC - 17/Nov/2009 at 4:37pm
JJ_RWATC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJ_RWATC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/Nov/2009 at 6:54pm
Hi Marty, it looks like I have now got my cake and eating it !!

With Russ suggesting using macros, I have managed to write the ones that I needed for my London Control program, and guess what !  The program now runs as as sweet as a nut.

No more spurious jumping around or breathe sounds doing silly things.

So now I have 100% dictation in windows apps and also 100% in London Control.

Thanks for the Toolkit that managed to work me through the macro editing with a breeze.

JJ

mmarkoe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/Nov/2009 at 11:16pm

Hi Marty, it looks like I have now got my cake and eating it !!
Glad it worked out. We are lucky we have Russ and some others who really understand macro programming.

Marty
Marty Markoe, MVP
Microsoft Valued Partner
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic