MSSpeech-Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows™ Speech Recognition Forums > New Users & General Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Domain change problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Domain change problem
    Posted: 14/Sep/2009 at 9:07pm
We changed domains over the weekend and now I have a new Windows user profile and when I started speech recognition it was like it was never used before. Cry Is there a way I can access or copy my speech user profile from my previous domain and transfer to my new domain profile so that I don't have to start over again with training, etc.? If so, what should I do?  Thanks.
mmarkoe_admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/Sep/2009 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by mattwood mattwood wrote:

Is there a way I can access or copy my speech user profile from my previous domain and transfer to my new domain profile so that I don't have to start over again with training, etc.? If so, what should I do?  Thanks.
CLICK HERE to download an easy to use transfer, backup and restore tool.  

Marty

Edited by mmarkoe_admin - 14/Sep/2009 at 11:03pm
mattwood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/Sep/2009 at 11:23pm
Marty, thanks so much for the reply.  Where are the previous user files located?  I'm not sure in which folder they are stored to be able to transfer them from.  If they have not been previously backed up can they be moved with the tool you mentioned?  Thanks.

Edited by mattwood - 14/Sep/2009 at 11:54pm
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/Sep/2009 at 8:31am

Where are the previous user files located?  I'm not sure in which folder they are stored to be able to transfer them from.  If they have not been previously backed up can they be moved with the tool you mentioned? 
The reason it took so long to develop a backup tool for WSR is that the profile files are scattered in different places. When designing WSR, Microsoft saw speech recognition as part of an accessibility package that included documents analysis and handwriting recognition as well as multiple language usage.

Therefore, in order to restore a backup user profile, you would have to have used the Backup/Restore tool to create a backup. If you can still access your old user profile you will be able to create the backup. If not, you are out of luck.

Marty
mattwood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/Sep/2009 at 11:02am
Marty, I think I can get to my old user profile but I don't know exactly what type of files I am looking for.  I found some files that were .dat files but I don't know if this is the right type of file or location.  Do you have any information of the specific type of file I should be looking for and what extension they have?  Thanks.
mmarkoe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/Sep/2009 at 1:29pm

Marty, I think I can get to my old user profile but I don't know exactly what type of files I am looking for.  I found some files that were .dat files but I don't know if this is the right type of file or location.  Do you have any information of the specific type of file I should be looking for and what extension they have?  Thanks.
Go up to the message I posted, "Yesterday at 11:01pm." Click where it says CLICK HERE. Download the program to backup/restore user profile. As I said, there is no one file or group of files to be backed up, but a series of files in different places and only Microsoft Developers know which files these are.

Marty

Edited by mmarkoe - 15/Sep/2009 at 1:35pm
Marty Markoe, MVP
Microsoft Valued Partner
See us at: http://www.mymsspeech.com
mattwood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/Sep/2009 at 10:04pm
Marty, I did download the program yesterday but I was confused on how to backup the files.  I did so today but now I have another question.     When I went to backup the files, it seemed like found a profile with my name, lets say MW.  I backed it up to a folder and then restored it.  After the restore when I opened speech recog. control center I now have 2 profiles named MW.  I'm not sure which one is the old restored profile  but one is a bigger size than the other when I back them up.  It seems the one I am using now must be the untrained one because it is making a bunch of errors it never made before.  In the speech recog. control center, when I highlight one it will allow me to train it, when I highlight the other it greys the train it button out.  I want to delete the right profile but I don't know which is which. Should I delete both and then use the program to restore the backup of one of them and test it out?  Thanks so much for your assistance.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/Sep/2009 at 6:05am

Marty, I did download the program yesterday but I was confused on how to backup the files.  I did so today but now I have another question.     When I went to backup the files, it seemed like found a profile with my name, lets say MW.  I backed it up to a folder and then restored it.  After the restore when I opened speech recog. control center I now have 2 profiles named MW.  I'm not sure which one is the old restored profile  but one is a bigger size than the other when I back them up.  It seems the one I am using now must be the untrained one because it is making a bunch of errors it never made before.  In the speech recog. control center, when I highlight one it will allow me to train it, when I highlight the other it greys the train it button out.  I want to delete the right profile but I don't know which is which. Should I delete both and then use the program to restore the backup of one of them and test it out?  Thanks so much for your assistance.
You cannot delete both as one user profile must be active. I would quickly create a third user profile call MattWood (or whatever) and then delete the two MW profiles. Then restore the backup you made of the trained profile.

In the future, create backups with different names.

Marty
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic