MSSpeech-Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows™ Speech Recognition Forums > New Users & General Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Disable/Hide "Alternates panel" in Word 07

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jthrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Disable/Hide "Alternates panel" in Word 07
    Posted: 30/Jun/2009 at 7:42pm
Is there an easy way to bypass/disable the "Alternates panel" in Word 2007? Am running Word 2007 in Vista with "Enable dictation everywhere" activated in WSR. Annoyingly, the "Alternates panel" pops up for each sentence/phrase spoken/dictated, forcing a choice to be made before the sentence/phrase can be "printed" to the document. This is very slow (and annoying!).

However, I can use WordPad without the annoyance of the panel. Thanks in advance.

jthrock

russ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/Jul/2009 at 2:04pm

jthrock,

Try exiting out of both Word 2007 and Windows Speech Recognition (and Windows Speech Recognition Macros if you have that running as well). Wait a moment or two, and then restart Windows Speech Recognition and wait for it to fully load. Then start up WSR macros and Word and see if you can dictate directly into the program. Does this do the trick?

(The above paragraph contained my favorite "speako" ever. WSR thought I said "rectally," not "directly." Do not attempt to dictate rectally into any program without consulting a doctor first.)

-Russ

jthrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jthrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/Jul/2009 at 3:17pm
Russ,

Tried your suggestion - no luck. The Alternates panel still pops up after each phrase/sentence. Since the panel can't be minimized, or expanded to view a lengthy sentence, it's very frustrating. Any other thoughts?

Will try various combinations centered around your initial suggestion. As mentioned, I don't have the problem in WordPad. So I can copy from there and paste into Word if necessary. I'm reluctant to mess around in the Registry, but might just take a quick peek "under the hood" if the frustration drives me to it - backing up any deletions/changes, of course! Thanks for your help to date.

jthrock
russ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/Jul/2009 at 3:38pm

jthrock,

You shouldn't have any problems dictating into Word 2007, so I'm confident we'll come up with some solution to this.

Do you have any trouble dictating into Microsoft Outlook? I'm curious if you have problems with the any of the three mail formats: plane, rich, and HTML.

I would suggest going into the Speech Properties/Advanced Speech Options control panel and creating a new profile, and try dictating with that to see if it fixes the problem. Initially, you don't need to go to the trouble of taking the tutorial or doing any training. Just try it out and see if it fixes the problem. If it does, at that point you could go back and do the tutorial and training to improve the recognition, and then use the new profile going forward.

Another thing to try might be to go into the Programs and Features control panel and do a you repair of your Microsoft Office 2007 installation.

-Russ

jthrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jthrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/Jul/2009 at 7:54pm
Russ,

Tried the new profile. Same result. Even w/ very short words in a short phrase. Reinstalled Office Home & Student (Word 2007). Same problem.

WSR works fine, as did the new profile, in WordPad and Windows Mail (don't have Outlook Mail). I've spent a few hours doing the various voice recognition tutorials. I work in a quiet environment and have an Andrea headset mic w/ the inline USB "filter." Nothing fancy, I know, but it gets the job done in the "good" apps.

Since recognition is fine in WordPad and Windows Mail, I'm reasonably sure that there's some sort of glitch in the "interface" between SR and Word. In Word I can only dictate a short phrase before the Alternate panel pops up. In the other apps I can dictate a long sentence and it prints w/o any problems, other than the occassional mis-pronounced, hence mis-spelled, word.

Have googled the problem extensively, including MS forums. Saw a couple of posts indicating the same problem. There were no effective responses, including from MS itself. Some Win 7 beta testers say that SR is (much?) improved in Win 7. We'll see.

Am completely open to other suggestions. Thanks for you help so far.

jthrock
andy t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/Jul/2009 at 10:57am

jthrock, I sometimes get that problem. Try this:

When in Windows Speech Recognition, say "Show Speech Options", click on "Options" in the list and make sure all four windows are checked with a tick.

Go into word 2007, say "Mouse Grid", then say "Right Click" which will bring up a windows menu. Then say "Cancel" to cancel the menu, then start dictating and see if this works.

This happens to me occasionally in Word when the Alternate's panel comes up and when I do the above procedure, it seems to work for me and then I can dictate as normal in Word.

andy t

jthrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jthrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/Jul/2009 at 4:47pm
Thanks, andy t,

I'm busy w/ something else the next few days. When I'm finished I'll give your suggestion a try - and post back. Thanks again.

jthrock
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic