MSSpeech-Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows™ Speech Recognition Forums > New Users & General Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Problem with Audio on New Computer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problem with Audio on New Computer
    Posted: 27/Jun/2009 at 6:25am

I have a problem, or should I say problems and they all started after I used Windows Easy Transfer via a USB Easy Transfer Cable to transfer all my files, settings, in fact everything that the cable would let me transfer from my old computer to my new one.

I should just point out, that before I took this action, the speech recognition worked fine on both computers with great accuracy.

Let me start with the new computer first –

Bearing in mind that the speech recognition worked fine on this computer after I set it up from scratch and without using the WSR toolkit because it was not on this computer at the time, it seems after the transferral, I am having trouble getting the microphone sound to register on any of the sound meters and therefore I cannot use speech recognition.

I believe I have tried everything but maybe I have missed something and you may be able to help me?

Firstly, none of the sound levels are down or muted, I checked that they were all up from the little speaker icon in the bottom right hand corner of my system tray including the volume mixer, recording devices/properties etc.  The speech recognition bar showed with the word "listening", but there was no movement in the sound meter bar.

Next I tried "Set up microphone" again with "Peter dictates" but there was no movement of the sound meter bar in there also.

I then went into Advanced Speech Options to check the speech recognition microphone level in there and that speech recognition bar was not moving in there either.

Has anybody got any more ideas for me to try?

The only other thing I thought I could try, was to do a "Backup and Restore" which I am hoping will then put the computer back to how it was before when it worked properly which would also take off all the files and settings that I put on using the Easy Transfer Cable, then transfer files and settings via a USB memory stick instead and just pick out the files and settings I want.  This seems a bit drastic, but I can see no other way unless I can get this working properly with the microphone.

Now on the old computer –

Speech recognition was working great before I did the easy transfer on this computer.  This one had the WSR toolkit on it and all my speech macros and with all the training I had given it and with these aids, the accuracy was perfect.

Now, the accuracy has dropped immensely, I retrained in the "Tutorial" and in the "Train your computer to better understand you", but still the accuracy level has not come back as it was before.

Apart from the accuracy drop, there are some frustrating differences this time, for example, when I say "full stop", instead of showing the punctuation mark like it did before, it now brings up "four stop", a lot of my other punctuation such as "open inverted commas", just dictates it like I have done here instead of showing the actual punctuation marks.

My speech macros seem to be working OK but when I went into the toolkit in a bid to heighten the accuracy factor, when I tried the rainbow passage and then chose "Begin Training", I had an error message come up which showed a red circle with a white X which said, "There was an error with train from text.  Value does not fall within the expected range.  Program terminating"

Can anyone point me in the right direction if I had done something wrong or not done something I should have?

andy t
mmarkoe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/Jun/2009 at 7:47am

It sounds as if your default recording device is incorrectly set. Right click the speaker icon in lower right Taskbar. Select Recording devices. If there are more than one devices, try highlighting another device and designating it as the default.

Marty
Marty Markoe, MVP
Microsoft Valued Partner
See us at: http://www.mymsspeech.com
andy t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/Jun/2009 at 7:51am

Quote Now on the old computer –

Speech recognition was working great before I did the easy transfer on this computer.  This one had the WSR toolkit on it and all my speech macros and with all the training I had given it and with these aids, the accuracy was perfect.

Now, the accuracy has dropped immensely, I retrained in the "Tutorial" and in the "Train your computer to better understand you", but still the accuracy level has not come back as it was before.

Apart from the accuracy drop, there are some frustrating differences this time, for example, when I say "full stop", instead of showing the punctuation mark like it did before, it now brings up "four stop", a lot of my other punctuation such as "open inverted commas", just dictates it like I have done here instead of showing the actual punctuation marks.

My speech macros seem to be working OK but when I went into the toolkit in a bid to heighten the accuracy factor, when I tried the rainbow passage and then chose "Begin Training", I had an error message come up which showed a red circle with a white X which said, "There was an error with train from text.  Value does not fall within the expected range.  Program terminating"

Can anyone point me in the right direction if I had done something wrong or not done something I should have?

andy t

andy t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/Jun/2009 at 8:00am

Quote Now on the old computer –

My speech macros seem to be working OK but when I went into the toolkit in a bid to heighten the accuracy factor, when I tried the rainbow passage and then chose "Begin Training", I had an error message come up which showed a red circle with a white X which said, "There was an error with train from text.  Value does not fall within the expected range.  Program terminating"

andy t

Panic over with the old computer, I managed to sort that out and the WSRToolkit is working normally again now.

However, I still have the same problem with the new computer and the volume meters still do not show any signs of movement within them from my speaking into the microphone.

This has got to be something to do with the volume icon or configuration, has anybody got any suggestions please?

andy t

mmarkoe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/Jun/2009 at 9:42am
Originally posted by andy t andy t wrote:

This has got to be something to do with the volume icon or configuration, has anybody got any suggestions please?
Did you see my reply, the second message? It is most likely either you do not have the default recording device set correctly or your microphone is not connected to the microphone input of the sound card on the new motherboard on your new computer (red or pink connection).

Marty

PS. Your new Sennheiser MD431II and accessories shipped yesterday.

Edited by mmarkoe - 27/Jun/2009 at 10:03am
Marty Markoe, MVP
Microsoft Valued Partner
andy t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/Jun/2009 at 3:09pm

Quote Did you see my reply, the second message? It is most likely either you do not have the default recording device set correctly or your microphone is not connected to the microphone input of the sound card on the new motherboard on your new computer (red or pink connection

Sorry I have taken so long coming back to you Marty but I have had hell with this new computer but I finally fathomed it out!

I eventually realized I had to go to "Audio Devices" and then select the microphone that was plugged in and appropriate to me.  I had the wrong one ticked!

I have just recently started to use my new "Senneheiser ME3 Headset" just for a change and I can actually have the television on in the background while dictating, the wife can come in and chat and the speech recognition does not pick it up, the background noises do not seem to be picked up as much.  I see what you mean about being more accurate being a headset.

Quote PS. Your new Sennheiser MD431II and accessories shipped yesterday.

Thank you very much. Nice doing business with you!  When that arrives, because of the quality of the microphone, I will be able to sing to the computer. Big smile

I managed to get the toolkit working again on my new computer but concerning my speech macros, which were all brought over from the old computer with the "Easy Transfer Cable", they do not seem to be working.

They have all come across into a folder OK on my new machine, but instead of showing them with little blue bubble icons beside them, they are only showing white pieces of paper icons next to them instead.

Have you any ideas why this has happened and how I can change them back?  More importantly, can you tell me how I can get them to work again with my speech recognition dictation and commands?

In the meantime, I will have a little play around to see if I can fix it.

Cheers

andy t

andy t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/Jun/2009 at 3:24pm

Quote I managed to get the toolkit working again on my new computer but concerning my speech macros, which were all brought over from the old computer with the Easy Transfer Cable, they do not seem to be working.

They have all come across into a folder OK on my new machine, but instead of showing them with little blue bubble icons beside them, they are only showing white pieces of paper icons next to them instead.

Have you any ideas why this has happened and how I can change them back?  More importantly, can you tell me how I can get them to work again with my speech recognition dictation and commands?

In the meantime, I will have a little play around to see if I can fix it.

I also forgot to mention, I used to be able to say, "Open Speech Macros", and the little blue bubble icon used to show in the bottom right hand corner of my computer in my system tray and when this showed, it made my macros work.

When I say it now, nothing happens and it does not come up.  Any ideas on rectify this?

andy t

mmarkoe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/Jun/2009 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by andy t andy t wrote:

I also forgot to mention, I used to be able to say, "Open Speech Macros", and the little blue bubble icon used to show in the bottom right hand corner of my computer in my system tray and when this showed, it made my macros work.

When I say it now, nothing happens and it does not come up.  Any ideas on rectify this?

It does not sound to me as if you have the speech macros program installed? Microsoft Speech Macros program WSRMacros.msi.

Marty

Edited by mmarkoe - 29/Jun/2009 at 1:10pm
Marty Markoe, MVP
Microsoft Valued Partner
andy t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/Jun/2009 at 12:12pm

Quote It does not sound to me as if you have the speech macros program installed? Microsoft Speech Macros program WSRMacros.msi.

Mart y

Yes you were right Marty, I have downloaded them now.  Thank you, they're all working now and in the right places. Clap

andy t

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic